The food thread

Cal, I've had my pressure cooker for at least 5 years. It's nice stainless so the shine is still there. :) Admittedly, it's a boon for a "big batch bachelor" from speed of certain dishes, but there's definitely some flavors that are better at 255 F (~124 C) than at ~190 F from a simmer.

For me, it's been a great kitchen tool that has upped the quality of what I eat. As always, YMMV.

Maybe. That beef stock I made this weekend simmered all Friday night and all day Saturday and was amazing -- rich, textured, layers of flavor. I used it to braise some beef ribs and the result was heavenly, though it took a ridiculous amount of time and effort.

Brings up another point I always count on a 1/3 to 1/2 reduction of the liquid in these things. The days of making demi-glace every Saturday are long gone though.

How about fish stock in the PC, my wife can't deal with it on the stove?

Funny, i have a PC and use very rarely, usally to prepare lentils, beans and such a stuff.
Worked also not bad for oxtail, but somehow i stick most of the time on traditional methods like simmering or oven.

Here some veal cheeks, apx 8 h in oven at 120 C , in the end we did not need any knifes to cut them, fork did the job well, the other is a piece pig shoulder also done in the oven, first at 220 C, then lowered the temp 20 C each 40 Minutes or so down to 120 C, result was imho very :)

Attachments

• 547.jpg
    547.jpg
    613.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 551.jpg
    551.jpg
    582.4 KB · Views: 96
DPH, i have also the KR Medium size, the maker is located 20 Km from here, but today production is almost chinese, thus i have no idea were it really was made.
(The Kuhn Family lived in the Place called Rikon, in the 60s and 70s a lot of tibetan emigration people was located there and worked for the Kuhn's, they sponsored the only one tibetan cloister here in switzerland and the population there is still much tibetan.)

I had to replace the security pressure valve two times within 1 year, on order only in store and those bandits asked each time 28 bucks for a rubber ring, a spring, and the alu valve.....

Anyway, fish stock i never do in the PC, i was teached by several cooks that fish stock should be cooked not much longer than 20 minutes, otherwise something will change the taste dramatically. Not sure if this is true, i trust them simply.

But if i cook shrimp skins and heads longer than 20-25 Minutes, the stock gets somehow bitter and something in taste is lost imho.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I had a small piece of my fresh tasmanian atlantic salmon last night, I cooked it in the microwave (sacrilege) but I was in a hurry and we're out of butter. It tasted pretty good.

I still have about 4x large pieces which are at least 3x the size of the small piece that I had last night left to cook up and eat.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Is this the new geography?

They breed atlantic salmon in tasmania in captivity. Native "Australian Salmon" has a horribly strong taste so just like most things Australian its not very favourable for chefs. The taste of native Australian Salmon is an extremely strong gamy taste that makes you gag.

Growing the Tasmanian Atlantic salmon farming industry - CSIRO
Atlantic salmon — Inland Fisheries Service - Managing trout fishing in Tasmania

General:

Occurs naturally in cold waters flowing into the North Atlantic Ocean. The first attempt to introduce Atlantic salmon to Tasmania was made from Europe in 1864. This, and several other attempts both last century and in the early 1900's, were unsuccessful in establishing wild populations in lakes or streams. In fact, there are no self-sustaining populations recorded in Australia. In recent years, a successful reintroduction of this species has occurred for sea-cage aquaculture in Tasmania. Fish were transferred under quarantine from a landlocked hatchery in New South Wales and established in hatcheries supplying a number of sea-cage farms.
Tasmanian Distribution:

Escapees from sea cages are present in several bays and estuaries in southern Tasmania and the west coast. In the past some fish have been released into Great Lake but did not maintain condition or show signs of growth. Brood stock salmon are currently released periodically at Meadowbank Dam, Lake Barrington, Craigbourne Dam, Bradys Lake, Lake Trevallyn and Brushy Lagoon.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I'm used to scientific names to differentiate species that's all. It's like Canadian lobster vs Maine lobster there's no such distinction but the same animal eating at a different place.

Its cool man I'm just a bit grumpy cause my neighbor is spying on me when I'm working on my car. Don't know if I should freeze :frosty: or setup a duck blind or something and spy back.

But uhm yeah. That is how it is down here, most things (99% of everything) are imported and while I do like Kangaroo sausages they are heavy on the spices to cover up the taste. I've had Kangaroo steaks before and they were gamy too.

They make their own soft drinks in australia too, and their own cars, so it used to be that you could buy a Japanese car that was made in an Australian plant in Melbourne, so it would come with Made in Australia parts on it.

I wished Dr Pepper was made in Australia though, I love that stuff.

Last edited:
What's Dr.Pepper????

Talking about fish, this weeken we had some seabass marinateed in red thai curry. Yummy!:eek:

It's another herbal based soft drink started in the 1890's or so, but has had a rocky history. Some still call soft drinks tonic here.

Zurichsee Bass? Right now my local Asian market has stripped bass live in tanks. If I told you how cheap it was you would be envious. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation.
There is no Zurichseebass, just Trout and so son.
This was cultured seabass from Greek , apx 300 Gramm at 25$ /kilo. Really good.
We have also wild sea bass from spain at 68 $/kilo, they are bigger and imho a little bit tastier. Those guys i usually put in the oven with salt coating. Maybe once or twice a year, its expensive.
Zurichsee Trout is 30$/kilo, the local fisherman catch them at 5 o clock and sell it at 8 on the friday morningmarket, so its really fresh and good. Sometimes they have luce at limited quantities, usually in november due the quotes.

Thanks for the explanation.
There is no Zurichseebass, just Trout and so son.
This was cultured seabass from Greek , apx 300 Gramm at 25$ /kilo. Really good.
We call that Branzino here I think, it is good. My one trip to Zurich they put us up at the Dolder Waldhaus and I made sure for dinner I had the local trout au blue. I don't want to think how much that stay would cost now.