The food thread

Every once in a while you just have to do it.

I want to take the grands to “Manny’s Texas Wieners” for chili-dogs, but their mother forbids it.

New salmon recipe (at least for me). Sweat a chopped shallot in the pressure cooker, add a cup of rice, saffron and two cups of liquid (white wine + Martinelli sparkling cider) Cook for a minute, place salmon on rack in pressure cooker over the rice. Lemon slices and dill on the salmon. Seal pressure cooker and cook on low pressure four minutes. Remove from heat and allow to depressurize 5 minutes. You can also toss in some cardamon w the rice.

Tonight was special... A good discussion with old friends around a very special beer.

:drink:

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 79
Here is something nice to do with sauerkraut and wild poultry:
Braised Pheasant With Sauerkraut Alsation Style Recipe - NYT Cooking

Not sure why they call it 'Alsation' since the recipe is pretty much the same all over Germany from the Alsace to Poland.

That sounds delicious. I haven't had pheasant in a very long time. A friend of my parents' was a member of a club, he had an old farm in the country and reared pheasants (and possibly other game birds, IDK) in his barn. The club owned or leased an old abandoned airfield, which was covered in alders and other scrub, and was conveniently next to some corn fields, and they released the birds there and then hunted them. Jack had a lovely bird dog he adored. He sometimes gave my family some of the pheasant that he shot. They were amazing.

That old farm house was in an area adjacent to the inner Bay of Fundy which had been a major ship building area back in the 18th and 19th centuries. The joists under the house were 12"x12" rough sawn oak, and they were long. I can't even imagine what those trees must have looked like, or how long they took to grow.

One of the butchers I use has a rather posh clientele so during hunting season the posh city dwellers get invited to a shoot by their posh country-dwelling friends and hand their kill to the butcher to hang, pluck and gut those in return for some of the birds.

That way we, the butcher's more plebeian customers, get hold of some nice pheasant, duck or grouse.

The above recipe is particularly suited to older, tougher birds.

Necco wafers might disappear:

For Candy Fans, the Only Thing Worse Than Necco Wafers Is No Necco Wafers - WSJ

With a suspiciously long shelf life, the nearly indestructible Necco wafers were used by Union soldiers during the Civil War and American GIs in World War II.

Arctic explorer Donald MacMillan took Neccos with him on a 1913 expedition.

In 1913, Arctic explorer Donald MacMillan took the endurable wafers for nutrition and to hand out to Inuit children, according to the company. They proved so suitable to the climate that Admiral Richard Byrd took 2.5 tons of them on his two-year exploration of the South Pole in the 1930s.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I've signed up with woolworths online so I will have a wider range of ingredients to choose from. I tried finding stir fry mix on coles.com.au but there was only one selection available and it contained wheat. That is what I'm trying to do this fortnight, get into stir-frying again.

I've spent the last month eating mostly just T-Bone steaks with mashed potato and butter on the side along with prepackaged meals. Kinda sick of the blandness.

Hopefully I won't have an allergic reaction to gluten with Kan-Tong brand of base sauces. They seem to be mostly made up of ingredients which do contain wheat but the thai green curry one doesn't. there is one ingredient "Coriander Puree" which contains soy which might also contain wheat which might also contain gluten. I'm willing to try it anyway.

"Passage to asia" also seems to be a brand I can try out.

Soy sauce as a default has gluten in it. Kind of a bummer really. But if the ingredient isn't used as much I can get away with having it once a week or sometimes even often.

I'm going to try thai green curry first.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/recipedetail/3620/jamie-s-asian-chicken-stir-fry

There is also this recipe which I can make gluten free by simply substituting the ingredients for something else that is gluten free.

Last edited:
I tried finding stir fry mix on coles.com.au but there was only one selection available and it contained wheat. That is what I'm trying to do this fortnight, get into stir-frying again.

Just so happens that the Sunday NYTimes magazine had a recipe for stir-fry beef and brocoli. We have used a GF "soy sauce" for my daughter-in-law:

The Best Beef and Broccoli, No Delivery Required - The New York Times

The NYtimes recipes, unlike a lot you see on the web, are vetted and pretty darn'd easy.