The food thread

Tonight's dinner

Increasingly enjoying roast veggies, particularly the peppers and squashes with lashing of garlic and olive oil

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    716.3 KB · Views: 69
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    770.2 KB · Views: 63
Artichoke hearts in the middle? Some kind of rice dish? Then the egg and the kimchee-esque looking thing next to it. Salmon on the right, pulled pork on the left. Romain as mentioned. Upper left and lower center has me lost entirely.

Cal, think you're safe. Does look like it came from a Korean BBQ place though.

if you want a nice crust on your duck you can try to put it in the oven with upper heat and always deglaze it with beer. today i didnt have beer at home and tried vinegar (i once heard that its usable for crusting). it worked out good, but beer seems to be better. on other fatty crusts like pork its a winner. if you dont want the meat to swim in beer you can put it on the grill.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Artichoke hearts in the middle? Some kind of rice dish? Then the egg and the kimchee-esque looking thing next to it. Salmon on the right, pulled pork on the left. Romain as mentioned. Upper left and lower center has me lost entirely.

Cal, think you're safe. Does look like it came from a Korean BBQ place though.

That is as far as I got (oh and the olives) although the salmon like stuff could be that posh sliced ginger you get in some restaurants. Top left almost looks like parmesan shavings. Bottom centre I guess is bok choi, unless the white stuff is squid. Does appear to be the whole world on one plate. With a side salad :)

I wonder if they meant (watered down) vinegar as a replacement for wine rather than beer?

right cal, i often use vinegar to deglaze the pan and make sauce out of the meat juice. putting sugar in the pan right after that is not advisable, there can be some sugar explosion.
right after that a spoon of whipped cream or some spread - which has way less fat is nice. the spread is not cookable, you have to wait a sec until the pan cools down.

I think this was a little too hard, so here goes:

1. Lettuce - Romaine
2. Olives - Pimento stuffed, green
3. Chicken - Sous vide bbq drums
4. Cheese - Parmesan flakes
5. Bamboo - Sliced shoots in chili oil
6. Egg - Seasoned and pickled
7. Ginger - Pickled, young
8. Mustard - Fermented gai choi
9. Ginger - Salted, with scallions, in oil
10. Artichoke - Marinaded hearts

Five are homemade and five are store bought. All can be store bought as you see them.

If I do this again, I'll make it a little easier.

Attachments

• IMG_1142 copy.jpg
    IMG_1142 copy.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 67
Never ever would have guessed 5-7-8-9.

Easter is coming so it's lamb time. A traditional "7 hours" lamb leg at the menu.

The irony is that I'm cooking for 16 persons here in Brussels but I'll be eating at my parents' place. I hope the guy in charge of warming it all up will not make a mess of it.

That's 4.5kg of lamb in that pot.

Attachments

• IMG_20180331_172057330.jpg
    IMG_20180331_172057330.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20180331_172405609.jpg
    IMG_20180331_172405609.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20180331_172914757.jpg
    IMG_20180331_172914757.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 63
Never ever would have guessed 5-7-8-9.

Easter is coming so it's lamb time. A traditional "7 hours" lamb leg at the menu.

The irony is that I'm cooking for 16 persons here in Brussels but I'll be eating at my parents' place. I hope the guy in charge of warming it all up will not make a mess of it.

That's 4.5kg of lamb in that pot.

That looks fantastic. I am doing lamb leg tomorrow as well, but I'm planning to bone it, stuff it, and cook it on the rotisserie. I will marinate it first with lots of lemon, garlic, and rosemary.

Yeah, looks great Ben! And well wishes to all this weekend whether you're doing Easter dinner with family or not. :) (personally, I love to see other traditional meals by any/all cultures that you guys cook)

Berries and beef is a new thing, huh, Cal?

Tradition here is marinate overnight in lemon juice, garlic, rosemary, and thyme, then slow cook it in the pellet grill. Probably complement with grilled asparagus and rice.

Also found out the Korean market has goat! More things to try.

Well I completely misinterpreted Cal's quiz question - guess that's why I never did well on exams....

Trying to decide upon Easter dinner here. I think it will be lamb but not sure if I will do a half leg much like nezbleu's or a rack. It's just my wife and myself this year.