The food thread

I end up having/using bacon fat more than anything else. Not that I use a ton of bacon, but Trader Joe's ends and pieces were a staple of my cooking where I'd essentially make a vegetarian dish and accent it with a very modest amount of bacon.

It does make for great oven-roasted brussels sprouts. :)

Put one of the frontlegs of a lamb on the bbq today. Really tasty.
Just smeared it with a mix of sweet soy sauce (the thick stuff), apple vinegar, some fancy oils, a little bit of honey, and a fair amount of cayenne pepper.

Served with creamed potatoes. The lamb was very juicy. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20180329_201044.jpg
    IMG_20180329_201044.jpg
    649.8 KB · Views: 89
They made crap sandwich bread in the UK in the 50's? I thought it was a US invention.

I am sure it was, but we copied everything possible from the USA hoping that prosperity would rub off in the process.

I remember that the first adverts for "Mother's Pride" bread involved a hand giving a wrapped sliced loaf a squeeze and, guess what, it sprang back into shape! That was the USP :eek:

Joined 2014
Paid Member
The Chorleywood process, which is used to this day to make evil sliced white plastic bread was developed in 1961. Before then our bread was just as bad as 'merkin bread. Since then has become worse, but at least we can use home grown wheat.

I would say I make my own, but the machine does it for me :).

Attachments

• bread1.jpg
    bread1.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 89
Win $100 CAD.
Here's the deal: There are 10 subjects. You identify the main ingredient in each only. For example, if you see asparagus, it doesn't matter if it is pickled, grilled or contains onions or watermelon. Just name the main ingredient.
There is nothing 'out there', nothing weird, no pork uterus here, they are all common ingredients in my neck of the woods.
There are two pics, one with flash.
You guess right, I send you a cheque.
Each person gets one guess only.
Good luck, I hope this is fun. I am enjoying it and I'm only just typing it. :)
We haven't determined a closing time yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1142.jpg
    IMG_1142.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1143.jpg
    IMG_1143.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 69