The food thread

.......I wonder if they have daily fresh sushi / sashimi in the Japan locations, or 'roo-burgers in 'straya?
I know of a couple of country bakeries that serve Kangaroo Pies.....complete with pastry kangaroo shape identifier on top.
Given the choice of beef, lamb or kangaroo pies, I choose kangaroo everytime.....delicious and nourishing.
kangaroo-pie.jpg

Dan.

Last edited:
I wonder if they have daily fresh sushi / sashimi in the Japan locations, or 'roo-burgers in 'straya?

There is no fresh fish in any of their sushi (they have no sashimi). It's mostly veggie or surimi here maybe some fairly mediocre shrimp.

Speaking of shrimp, Cal will identify with this, find a market run by Asians, and I finally did in this culinary wasteland. A dozen kinds of whole local fish several types that no one else eats, frog legs, live crab, and whole body shrimp. My guests weren't into sucking heads and peeling their own, more for me.

Attachments

• shrimp.jpg
    shrimp.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 94
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Also tasted way better in a sheet of parchment paper and a newspaper page, a plastic bin really doesn't cut it.

I don't know as a kid I had a strange fascination with things that came in polystyrene cups and containers. Even used to eat the cups or chew on them for quite a while after drinking the contents.

I guess the fact that it was bad for the environment kind of made it like I was eating something rare and old fashioned and so therefore was going out of style, so therefore was immediately better in some way.

What ever happened to turnip ?
I loved it as a kid.
All we can buy now is swedes.
My father in law was a farmer and he used to get turnips for me as they used to feed sheep with them.

You English with your strange English words!

Here we have lots of turnips, or maybe they are rutabagas? I have never seen the word Swede applied to a vegetable outside of an English cook book. Maybe turnips are the whitings of the vegetable world, one overloaded word denoting many roots.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the fish and chips I had in Scotland a couple of years ago (Oban), and the fish was quite good and very fresh, but maybe not as good as the best I have had locally. Sadly the places that make the best fish seldom make the best chips, though one of my faves makes up for it with spectacular pie. Best chips in the world are sold from a truck called Bud the Spud right here in Halifax, usually parked by the old library. I do recall a place in Glasgow, which I didn't try, but a great name, called The Chippy Doon the Lane.