The food thread

Decided it was time to join the new millennium. The manual way (warming element, meat thermometer and wooden spoon) was becoming a hassle.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2017-11-21 at 2.47.39 PM.png
    Screen shot 2017-11-21 at 2.47.39 PM.png
    135.9 KB · Views: 78
Cal welcome to the club, albeit I use it much more when I'm living by myself versus with people who like to grill. :)

I'll try to take a picture, but I cannot recommend buying a hard rectangular beer cooler and cutting a hole just perfect for the circulator to fit inside it. Works like a champ.

Pumpkin pie is a funny thing. My son (well trained foodie :)) a few years ago made a squash pie totally from scratch as well as a pumpkin one. Then he make the one right off the the can with the crust from the freezer. His crowd could not tell the scratch ones from each other and said the can recipe was the best they ever had.

If you're a movie buff my favorite turkey dinner scene is the one in "Diary of a Mad Housewife".

Last edited:
I once did pumpkin pie from scratch too, used the pressure cooker to cook down the pumpkin, never do that again.
This year made tarts for the Halloween party, used the recipe on the back of the can label, a cinch, Walmart frozen tart shells and all :) One can, made like 2 trays worth ~40, a hit.

It could be a novelty but it does take on some color over the usual pale higher grade syrups. Frankly for cooking I try to get the dark cloudy last remains that the restaurants get, much more maple flavor. I subbed syrup for sugar one year in the WC and it was a hit.

I always seek out the B-grade maple syrup as well -- grading is mostly based of clarity and I want all that maple flavor, like you.

I once did pumpkin pie from scratch too, used the pressure cooker to cook down the pumpkin, never do that again.
This year made tarts for the Halloween party, used the recipe on the back of the can label, a cinch, Walmart frozen tart shells and all :) One can, made like 2 trays worth ~40, a hit.

I have had good results from scratch lately, but you need the right kind of pumpkin, and it needs to be roasted/baked to remove excess moisture. Even then you might need to simmer it uncovered for a bit. I think the flavour is worth it, but I haven't done a side by side test. It's audiophile pumpkin, no blind tests please. :)

I have also been getting good pie dough results lately, and I credit the food processor!