The food thread

Right the one that cooks the breast to 100C if you wait for it, grandma's cardboard turkey. Cal no problem, just that I think the brining somewhat offsets the tendency to over cook. That is a very personal opinion, I also like my dark meat pink at the bone.

I think you are on the money there, the brine keeps the meat juicy even if a bit overcooked. Some say it also shortens cooking time a bit, and they have measurements to back it up. :)

Do you remove the bone from legs, wings, etc? That seems like a lot of work! It's a great idea though, you get the benefits of cooking the stuffing in the bird without the drawbacks.

Speaking of fussy work, I remember a feature in Gourmet many years ago about Bali. They got a recipe from a chef there for crab-stuffed chicken wings. The wings had to be deboned when raw, stuffed with crab filling, then cooked. I expect I could make about 3 of those before thinking suicidal thoughts.

Do you remove the bone from legs, wings, etc? That seems like a lot of work!

No just the major infrastructure so you keep the basic shape. I've completely deboned poultry at times it is a lot of work, but a turkey is too big. A deboned stuffed chicken can be sliced whole into sensible individual servings, a nice thing to do once and awhile (a long while).

I think you are on the money there, the brine keeps the meat juicy even if a bit overcooked.
Yes, it bides you time.
They got a recipe from a chef there for crab-stuffed chicken wings.
Stuffed wings are great but like you, I do not have the patience. It's like stuffed cherry tomatoes. OMG, how much time do they take and they're gone in a flash.

Some roasted squash and Brussels sprouts tonight, served with some grilled pork tenderloin.

IMG_20171112_194538.jpg

Do you know the name the French give to dandelion - pissenlit - translated - **** in the bed:eek: great in salads but don't eat too much at one time.
Fresh succulent prunes are great but I once bought a 1K packet of them on a cycle camping holiday in France. Like a fool I ate the lot in one evening - had to make a lot of lightning stops the next day, luckily I was cycling on the minor roads that make cycling a joy in France, imagine if I was cycling through major conurbations.

We call it Bettseicher in the Saar county which means the same, but that could be
french influence since we are sitting on the fence.

I finally tried this Gordon Ramsey recipe and it was very good.

Take about a pound of pumpkin, slice it into fairly thin wedges with the skin still on. Drizzle some olive oil into a rimmed baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and arrange the pumpkin slices in the pan. Drizzle a little more oil over, season, then scatter unpeeled but halved cloves of garlic (about 4-5 cloves), a few sprigs of thyme, and some fresh rosemary around the pan. Bake in a 400F oven for about 25 minutes until the pumpkin is cooked. Discard the garlic and herbs and let the pumpkin cool a bit, while you cook some penne. Remove and discard the pumpkin peel and cut the flesh into small chunks. Drain the pasta, and toss with the pumpkin, remaining oil from the pan, and some grated parmesan. Serve! Really nice way to use pumpkin. (Yes, my pic of roasted squash and sprouts was prepared much the same way.)

TJ. Make it at home. The produce guys will often keep the 'seconds' for you if you ask and will discount them heavily. Most of our tomatoes here are $1 - $2 per lbs. right now. These were 35 cents. So you get 11 litres of juice for 11 dollars. You simply can't make a good TJ with nice looking trophy type tomatoes, you have to wait till they turn into ugly ducklings.

It's a bit of work alright but when you taste it...

Attachments

• IMG_0806.jpg
    IMG_0806.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 118
I know you like fermenting things but how do you prevent that from becoming tomato wine?

Two kinds of fermenting:

Yeast: creates alcohol (drink)
Lacto: creates acetic acid (eat)

Yeast was not present and the tomato mix was heated before running it through the mill. I also added a small amount of table salt along with the coarse salt as the iodine will help prevent any lacto-fermenting that wasn't killed during the heating.

Two kinds of fermenting:

Yeast: creates alcohol (drink)
Lacto: creates acetic acid (eat)

Yeast was not present and the tomato mix was heated before running it through the mill. I also added a small amount of table salt along with the coarse salt as the iodine will help prevent any lacto-fermenting that wasn't killed during the heating.

Not quite:

Lacto produces lactic acid - fermented vegetables - eat

Aceto produces acetic acid - Vinegar, eat