The food thread

Over here a shot of aquavite in a pint of beer is known as a Deep Water Bomb..;)

In northern Germany you can order a 'Lütt un Lütt' (lit. small and small) or 'Lüttje lage' (small order or cover) which sounds harmless enough.

It is a very small beer (5-10cl) and a shot of Köm (german aquavit) drunk simultaneously, not mixed. The glasses are held one above the other.
Allegedly originated with dockers in Hamburg.

Attachments

• flegenweert_4.jpg
    flegenweert_4.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 70
OK, then most of my beef is dry aged I guess. I didn't really know any other way. You walk in and can see all the sides on a 'dry cleaner' type carousel behind the glass. Sometimes there is condensation, sometimes not. Perhaps that is due to when the beef was hung. Mind you, I've not been close enough to know which side of the glass the condensation was on.

A dry age cabinet keeps both temperature and RH constant (standard is 85 percent RH and under 36F), plus air circulation.

Meat drops ~30 percent in weight from losing moisture in a couple of weeks dry aging.

So what is the difference between the dry age cabinet in your photo vs a classic meat locker? Functionally speaking.

It is easy to distinguish between wet-aged meat (wrapped in plastic) vs sides of beef hung in an old fashioned meat locker, or walk-in refrigerated room where sides of beef are hung. To qualify as dry-aged is there some other set of criteria that must be met?

So what is the difference between the dry age cabinet in your photo vs a classic meat locker?

Before the advent of disassembly line slaughterhouses, butchers got their meat from local farmers. Every supermarket affiliate (franchise operator) had their own (franchise) butcher.
Cows were slaughtered at the farm, the farmer had a cold storage room to hang meat on the bone for the ripening. Limestone walls and mechanical ventilation kept RH in the prime time zone. Second stage of the dry aging took place in the meat locker of the butcher

The ripening/dry-age cabinet is the modern and improved replacement of both. Cabinets have electronic controlled temperature and RH adjustment. (temperature can be set in the 0-30C/85F range, RH from 30-95 percent)

Every quality butcher has a dry age cabinet. Subtract cut and moisture loss due to the ripening, and $/lb of real meat becomes less of a shock to the system.

(I buy French cheese fresh-cut only, store it in one of the oldfashioned cellars of my home. Vacu-wrapped camembert/brie tastes stale with an outer layer of semen, imo)

Last edited:
There is an actual colour chart which is widely used in metalworking circles to convey the rough temperature of steel easily and accurately enough for most uses. While 'red hot' isn't the hottest it is far from the coldest.

Colour Temperature - DiracDelta Science & Engineering Encyclopedia

Red Hot is where most medium carbon steel (such as Water Hardened Drill Rod, Case Hardening mild steel, etc) is before quenching. This is the lower end of the temperature range for austenite steel phase. Rapid quenching produces Martensite instead of Cementite as would be produced by cooling slowly.

Last edited:
Red Hot is where most medium carbon steel (such as Water Hardened Drill Rod, Case Hardening mild steel, etc) is before quenching. This is the lower end of the temperature range for austenite steel phase. Rapid quenching produces Martensite instead of Cementite as would be produced by cooling slowly.

I know, I've got some qualifications in Welding Engineering and Structural and Thick Plating.

However by focussing on hardening you left out the complete bottom half of said colour chart.

So what is the difference between the dry age cabinet in your photo vs a classic meat locker? Functionally speaking.

It is easy to distinguish between wet-aged meat (wrapped in plastic) vs sides of beef hung in an old fashioned meat locker, or walk-in refrigerated room where sides of beef are hung. To qualify as dry-aged is there some other set of criteria that must be met?

Taking it to the next level.

Tom Rawstorne tries steak that's 180 days old that is all the rage with foodies | Daily Mail Online