The food thread

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Thanks for those vids Cogitech. I hadn't realized how cleanly you can skin and gut them.

You're welcome. Yes, it takes a bit of practice but it really is quite easy to do a clean job of it.

I should mention to our European friends that these are Snowshoe Hares (AKA Varying Hares) which are considerably different from European Hares with respect to size, behaviour, diet and flavour.

European Hares are more closely related to North American "Jack Rabbits".

found in translation

'brandname'

B4ZI-yQCIAAgqkj.jpg

That sounds very reasonable. Best I ever had was served with a perfect "goose" egg of Sauternes jelly made with 1967 dYquem and a perfectly clarified veal/goose stock. BTW this was 1977 when the wine was <$20 :D

I had the opportunity in mid seventies to buy from a french guy leaving brussels some bottels ( couples of each )of some top grand crus ( La tache, Richebourg, Romanee conti (1) Lafite ) and 2 Yquem 67.
The price was as you said, it was a bargain even at that time but still expensive for a young engineer.

The Yquem 67 became a top year and is very expensive now. I still have one.
If you ever pass by in Brussels:p
Great Sauternes can still be found at 20 euros. So making a Jelly and your eggs is feasible.

Beautiful. Using Google Street View reminds me of being in Maarsen near Utrecht. I had missed my bus and was trying to get to a trade show, took the stoptrain from Amsterdam, and had to hoof it overland to the venue, which I saw in the distance. Flat as p**s on a plate. I was cutting through neighbourhoods and schoolyards to get where I was supposed to be (and never actually bought a train ticket!).

Now is eggnog a food or a beverage? I mean, it's got eggs in it... So lately I have been into the eggnog scene, and here is what I have been consuming:

Put some ice in a cocktail shaker,
Pour in a measure of Gosling's Black Seal Bermuda rum, and a half-measure of Courvoisier.
Crack in a whole fresh free-range egg.
Grate in some nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice.
Add a few drops of vanilla extract
Add 1.5-2.0 teaspoons sugar
Pour in 1/2c whole milk
Shake until well blended and frothy
Strain into glass with some of the ice, grate a little more nutmeg on top.

Happy Holidays!

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Now is eggnog a food or a beverage? I mean, it's got eggs in it... So lately I have been into the eggnog scene, and here is what I have been consuming:

Put some ice in a cocktail shaker,
Pour in a measure of Gosling's Black Seal Bermuda rum, and a half-measure of Courvoisier.
Crack in a whole fresh free-range egg.
Grate in some nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice.
Add a few drops of vanilla extract
Add 1.5-2.0 teaspoons sugar
Pour in 1/2c whole milk
Shake until well blended and frothy
Strain into glass with some of the ice, grate a little more nutmeg on top.

Happy Holidays!

I've been into Captain Morgan's Spiced + Egg Nog since shortly after supper (as evidenced by my earlier thread), but what you just wrote evoked a deeply visceral response.

I MUST try that!

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Yes it's one thing to mix liquor with commercial "eggnog", and I do the same thing sometimes. But when I want a GOOD eggnog it has to start with eggs and milk, and the fresher the better.

I have access to excellent eggs and milk. It will be all I think about tomorrow as I am shooting hares. :)

Thank you for posting the recipe! Review to follow in this thread.