The food thread

The social history of chili peppers is fascinating. It is hard to imagine that no cuisine outside the Americas had peppers (capsicums, not piper negris) before 1492, and that in a brief period they had been disseminated by Europeans over the face of the globe. Hungarians say that they got the peppers they use in goulash from the Turks; where did they get them? From other Europeans, or from Asians who got them from Europeans? Can we imagine the cuisines of India or south east Asia without heat?

A plant ethnologist who specialized in chilis once told me that there were chilis native to southern China and thereabouts pre-Columbus, but he did not elucidate further or provide evidence, so I've always wondered.

Those peppers sure look a lot like the Scotch Bonnet variety, which do pack a punch.
One of my favorites...
Just have to remember to wash the hands after chopping, especially before using the bathroom.

Or getting frisky. :eek:

Most of the top ten hotties are varieties of the Chinense species.
(Beats me what the reference to China is for. Afaig, all originate from the north-west of South America : Amazones, Suriname, Guyana, to the Lesser & Greater Antilles)
E.g. a Madame Jeanette of Suriname can look very similar to a red Scotch Bonnet.

I remember reading somewhere that chinense referred to the resemblance of that species to Chinese lanterns.

What to do with all that beef? How about some wrapped eggs. Using the plastic to wrap them is a good idea. Season the meat and bake for about 25 minutes at 400F.

Attachments

• IMG_3097.jpg
    IMG_3097.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3098.jpg
    IMG_3098.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3099.jpg
    IMG_3099.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3100.jpg
    IMG_3100.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 66
Stuffed patties. No need to season the beef, the filling is enough.

Condensed wild mushroom soup
Smoked cocktail sausages
Aged cheddar
Green onion
Seasoned pepper
No salt required.

Make the bottom patty larger than the top to make a sort of 'bowl'
Fry then broil, or just bake. Don't try and grill this, it's too wimpy.

Attachments

• IMG_3111.jpg
    IMG_3111.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3108.jpg
    IMG_3108.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3106.jpg
    IMG_3106.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3105.jpg
    IMG_3105.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3104.jpg
    IMG_3104.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3103.jpg
    IMG_3103.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 62
what I take to work

One of 24.
This one consists of a chopped onion plus a bulb of garlic, softened in oil. 2/3d of a pound of sliced adjoema peppers added, salt, sugar, juice of 2 limes, and a dash of sesame oil. (amounts per 22 fl oz jar) A run through the blender, reheated, and in the jars it goes.

Speaking of : when I eat a sandwich layered with a sliced one of these raw peppers, I often sense a gush of endorphins within minutes after finishing.
Imo, the flavor and endorphin rush are the addictive factors of eating peppers, not the heat sensation. (which does go numb for low levels)
Hotties are nature's anti-depressives.

(and SY : Yes, those are re-used MAYO jars :clown:)

Attachments

• Yella.jpg
    Yella.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 56