The "Elsinore Project" Thread

That does seem to be the case, I too looked at another SB tweeter that uses it, the aluminium SB26ADC.
1668679845514.png

https://hificompass.com/en/speakers/measurements/sbacoustics/sb-acoustics-sb26adc-c000-4 nice low thd

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2022-11-17 11-10-20.png
    Screenshot at 2022-11-17 11-10-20.png
    136.6 KB · Views: 67
I have a pair of SB26CDC tweeters here. I have secured a panel that I am going to mount the waveguide and tweeter on/into and do some measurements. But getting closer to the holyday period and have work priorities, it will likely happen in about a month. How will it take to using the waveguide? What will the waveguide 'gain' at around 3KHz look like? We shall see. The waveguide used in the Elsinores are more 'aggressive' in order to get that gain near 3KHz. That is why it is not as gradual looking at the more recent ones we see around today. That's OK, we must pick our priorites, mine is that more 'gain' mean less distortion and not go for a lower crossover frequency. I think that approach has paid of quite well.

BTW, I realise that the earlier idea that the crossover of the Elsinores was thought to be around 6KHz were likely concluded on the basis of the cap being 1.8uF and yet the waveguide means a much smaller value is needed. This is a nominal 4 Ohm tweeter and not 6-8 Ohm that we have been using, so it will be beneficial that the main driver sensitivity is lower because we can additional series resistor value, but all of this will be come out in the wash.

Reactions: 1 user
Browsing inductors for L4 (18mh) and L5 (100uh) for MFC version, see attached.

The 22mh is nearly the correct resistance as-is and some could be taken off to get 18mh.

For 100uh it appears 3 possible choices.

At first glance it also got me interested, but...

Look closely at the current rating. The 22mH might well be near the DC resistor, so that the added series resistor is not needed. But crunch the numbers and it means that at 2.8V RMS, near 7R DC and only rated at 400mA, that is sadly not going to work, you are in trouble by the time you get to only 3V across the coil. Yes, one of the 100uH is rated at 7.8 Amp. That is better but not quite there. I like the muRata brand, but here the low cost and small size of an air-core 100uH is what does the job because there really is no current restriction to take note of.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Indeed. With higher resistance inductors in a power circuit it's essential to analyse heat dissipation before you use them.

They may catch fire.

They may short circuit and create a problem for your amplifier, in some cases this may go unnoticed for a time.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Joe & Co.:

A friend has fallen for my Elsinores and wants a pair for himself. I've agreed to help him but, with the closing of Erse a couple of years ago, finding suitable 20 mH inductors here in the US has become a problem. It appears that a Chinese company may restart Erie's business and product line, but their start-up is very slow at best and they have not responded to my inquiries. There is also a Chinese vendor on eBay that can produce 20 mH inductors, but their prices seem unusually high and their quality is an unknown. So my simple question: where are you sourcing your 20 mH inductors?

Thank you!

Regards,
Scott

I was sent the YouTube link to my phone by a local friend who has Mk5 Elsinores. It is similar size and weight, but uses 8" drivers. They say it is 2.5-Way, but are the top three drivers configured as MTM with the bottom two driver filling in the diffraction loss? I note it is a 4 Ohm speaker nominally, so it draws twice as much current/power from the amplifier. The crossover is 1500Hz and that is to low, but with those 8' drivers, probably has something to do with it as they may not go high enough?

Are they designed in Norway but built in China?