The "Elsinore Project" Thread

Actually, you have it right, it can be used as both. That indeed was the idea from the beginning. It can be used in three different ways, 1) as a smaller stereo pair, 2) as additional speakers if going multi-channel and 3) use as a single speaker laterally for centre channel, maybe (?) put the screen on top of it.

[I just figured out something useful from this post. When the photo above is uploaded as an attachment and viewed, then right-click on it and get the uploaded image location url and use
to insert it anywhere, as I just did above.]

it's great, i think that maybe due to 1st order crossover and high xo point might reduce horizontal comb effect

not here said:
that is basic html famous function for img, url, quote etc

on another forum which use same engine as here, they enable quotations like this but somehow not enabled here
[\quote]

How do you keep track of important posts, spread sheet or ?
When you have a post number, is there a way to get there on one try ?

Joe, thanks for the email, looking forward to getting the wave guides. cant wait to start the build... Just haven't figured out how to explain to the Mrs that there will be multiple delivery, from many places in the next few days and ultimately, I need more room in our living room !!

Did I goof up on L4?

I couldn't find (Between 4-5 vendors) a 20mH Air core...
Than I couldn't find 2 10mH air core's and in the wee hours of the am.
Thought I read in one of the posts Joe mentioned Iron core would work, something like it wasn't in series so a lower priority...

I wound up ordering (4) Steel Laminate 10.0 mH 15 AWG Inductors..

Thought I read cored interferes less with others... Is that accurate ?

Now Im reading they saturate, have zero clue of what that means, but know it sounds like bad juju....
Did I shoot myself in the foot ?
Should scour the web some more and source Air core 20mH ?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The use of an iron core can be an improvement or a problem depending on the appropriate choice of device. The core allows fewer turns to manifest a greater inductance by way of the core, a side benefit can be lower winding resistance. Whether they saturate can be tied in with such things as their inductance, position in the circuit and power put through the speakers. When the core saturates they are left to temporarily behave as air cores, including having reduced inductance.

Question about the sub-front baffle (the one behind the front baffle). Is there a problem with routering the openings to match the front baffle (in other words, round vs. square) to allow more stiffness behind the mid-drivers and more material to screw into?

More obstructions = more air-flow resistance. This includes "stuffing".

More air-resistance usually DECREASES depth reproduction.

It's better to have no bracing with regard to this, though compromises must be made for panel damping. (..though ideally the Elsinore would have a rather different method for spot-damping the panels. It's one area, along with material choices, where the Elsinore's design could be improved.)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Question about the sub-front baffle (the one behind the front baffle). Is there a problem with routering the openings to match the front baffle (in other words, round vs. square) to allow more stiffness behind the mid-drivers and more material to screw into?

No. You could get away with a 45° opening up of the back (should be done on th ewoofer holes). It is importantant that the driver is not sitting in a cavity,

dave

PS: i have you email, patience.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
YAQIN MC-13S
I could be wrong but this amp may have a low output impedance *. Regardless, this impedance will short and thus act against variations that saturation may cause in the case that the inductor is not the preferred choice. Here is a test you can do.. listen, then disconnect L4 at one end and listen again. Is there much difference?

All the same, I might point out the opportunity due to the series resistance of 7 ohms in the crossover. This means you can use a high resistance coil (traded against the resistance itself). This can mean that an air core using smaller gauge wire is possible.

Watch the tradeoff though, the coil resistance will consume a little power. Too much could overheat it.

Attachments

• yaquin.jpg
    yaquin.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 151
I visited Greg H. on Saturday, he has built what I believe are the most expensive Elsinores so far. It is made of Sout African hardwood called Padouk. It cost around AUD $8000 just for the boxes and near AUD $11,000 in total. They replaced a pair of speakers made in Denmark that retails for AUD $83,000 - you might have fun guessing what it is and a hint is that it uses a very expensive ribbon tweeter. They are now for sale on consignment with a major hi-fi shop in Sydney. Greg sums up the Elsinores as "they do EVERYTHING!" and that is a common refrain.

Take a look below, the photo does not give full justice, but hope you like it:

819956d1582602380-elsinore-project-thread-joe-jpg

Last edited: