The Drek builder's thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
lykkedk said:
I stumbled around the net, to find an explanation and to figure out, what Xl, inductance (mH) means to appr. coilsize / magnetwire thickness. And i didnen't succeded :(
I don't know how much current that will flow in drek inductor, and i don't know howto calculate the F3 of some inductor.

I have the possibillity to use magnetwire in the range 0,25 ~ 1,00mm, but if DCrestiance ain't the problem, i rather use thin, than thick.

I could make inductor's in size between ~80mH - 200mH, but what i really like is to understand, and to calculate the perfect size for the circuit.

Hope some (Magura, ZenMod etc...) can help me out!

Jesper.

The perfect size does not exist AFAIK. You will always find yourself dealing with trade-offs.
The F3 is also a matter of the impedance of the load, so I took the liberty to experiment my way through, rather than calculating this.
The inductor will see 250mA, so you could use real thin wire. DCR then comes into play. How big loss are you willing to accept?

When doing this the hard way, it turned out that you can get away with 2*80mH, the math pointed to a somewhat bigger figure.

So, as written above, plug the numbers into the calculator I gave you the link for earlier in this thread (EDIT: the link I am going to give you later in this thread) , say any wire between 0.1 and 0.5mm will do (trade-offs again), just go wind the inductor, and see what it brings to the table.

Unhappy with the result- then start making experiments to become happy:D

Magura :)

Magura, is this inductor calculator a DOS program ?

The site dosen't seem to work theese day's, but i found the program (i think carefull please! - might be fraud)
http://www.users.on.net/~audiosoft/inductor.exe
I can't make it work... my windosbox simulated under linux can't run it.

Well... I just got my 6pack beer-hands on two trols of 0,335mm (~AWG28) wire ... nearly 2*10kg ... well they will gonna cost me a bit through i think!

So i calculated some inductor-size's. All with innerdia 35mm, and lenght 15mm (15+15 for dual inductor, for Drek) :

2*80Mh, 1206 turn's, 35 Ohm
2*100Mh, 1327 turn's, 40 Ohm
2*120Mh, 1435 turn's, 44 Ohm
2*140Mh, 1531 turn's, 48 Ohm

I might just try, as Magura purposed, but it might be usefull, if i could calculate the F3 freq. to awoid nasty thing's ... (still don't know howto) What should i go for ???

Jesper.

excellent Zenmod ... excellent ...

look at my screenshot ... i calculated under choke loaded rolloff, this is correct right ?

seem's that 80mH is a very good choise, with a 0,335 magnetwire...

Jesper.

EDIT: I got it wrong, it was plate resistance i calculated under ... sry ..

Attachments

• scr.jpg
    scr.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 437
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The apparent resistance
of the JFET is about 50 ohms, so the gain into a 10 K ohm load is
about 1000 / 60 which is about 24 dB.

soo Choky you tell me, that xconductance is A/V(Opposite of Ohm) and that V/A = Ohm(part of ohms law), which leads me to just ... nothing! About the result the spreadsheet gives me ... what does plate resistance have to do with that ?

:confused: Jesper.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
lykkedk said:

soo Choky you tell me, that xconductance is A/V(Opposite of Ohm) and that V/A = Ohm(part of ohms law), which leads me to just ... nothing! About the result the spreadsheet gives me ... what does plate resistance have to do with that ?

:confused: Jesper.

xconductance of Jfet Boz 2SK170 is ( as Papa sez) 1/50 ohms ~ and according to datasheets - 20 to 22mS ...... (same thing written backwards)

according to data sheets , xconductance of irf9610 is ?

so - just recalculate what's apparent resistance of 9610 and you'll know what to include as plate resistance in your xls file ......

hehe

or just use 2x80mH ......... that's plenty ........

tip :

plate = drain in that case ; just analogy , off course

according to data sheets , xconductance of irf9610 is ?

so - just recalculate what's apparent resistance of 9610 and you'll know what to include as plate resistance in your xls file ......

hmmm ... can't find some 20 or whatever ms neither transductance neither resistance on datasheet irf9610 ???

So i can't calculate ''seen resistance'' of irf9610

Jesper.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
lykkedk said:
Yes ;) I see, but i can't see howto calculate 22mS (in fact i donno what it is) into something usefull ?

The trickquistion, is just to tricky for me... :( ... I really would appreciate an explanation instead.

Jesper.

if 170 have xconductance of 22mS , means that his apparent impedance is 1/0,022 ~ 46 Ohms

if 9610 have xconductance of 0,8S , means that his apparent impedance is 1/0,8 ~ 1,25 Ohms

anyway - knowing from da toob world real parameters are these ones measured in working point , you can't be sure in exact values of xconductance without looking at real graphs ;

in any case 9610 have enough low internal impedance , so your chosen 2x80mH choke is good enough ..........

edit :

don't forget to include source resistance in calcs ...... 10E

:rofl:

edit edit :

in case you have woolly :devilr: bass - just decrease these source resistors and re-bias da drek

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
jacco vermeulen said:
Trans-X number guidelines of an 610 at operating temperature is:
0.8-1.000 amp
0.6-0.500 amp
0.4-0.250 amp
0.2-0.125 amp

(Vertical FET transconductance is roughly quadratic, JFETs La Linea)

Me shave off mustache, me no blind pooftah anymore !!

give us a dirty pic , ya Harry !

Attachments

• linea.gif
    linea.gif
    12.8 KB · Views: 389
lykkedk said:
Magura, is this inductor calculator a DOS program ?

I might just try, as Magura purposed, but it might be usefull, if i could calculate the F3 freq. to awoid nasty thing's ... (still don't know howto) What should i go for ???

Jesper.

Zen Mod said:

or just use 2x80mH ......... that's plenty ........

Hmm, so you think it's gonna work with 2*80mH?:clown:

Yes, it's a DOS program.

I have it laying around if you can't make the one you have found work. Jus drop me a line and give me a non-gmail addy to send it to.

Magura :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.