The diyAudio Firstwatt F6

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I have this setup I used for measuring compressor and spray booth motors in the shop…I almost forgot I had it since it’s used so rarely. I measured my FW amp with “peak hold” enabled and got a reading of 2.92A. Thing is my amp is a little different as it does not use the “store” power supply board, instead it has an SLB (SmoothLikeButter) supply.

image.jpg

Joined 2023
Paid Member
@maltboy1

Nice Work! And silent…congratulations! Planning on some board rolling are you? (Aleph J) (F5)

Wondering if a 5A switch is robust enough. I realize we have inrush current limiting, but still, what is the inrush current draw on this amp. I’ve never measured it on mine. Anyone?
Thanks. I have F5 and Aleph boards ready to go, so plans are to build 2 more amps. I have no idea why I need 3, but I'm enjoying this and I'm getting old, so...

Joined 2023
Paid Member
I have this setup I used for measuring compressor and spray booth motors in the shop…I almost forgot I had it since it’s used so rarely. I measured my FW amp with “peak hold” enabled and got a reading of 2.92A. Thing is my amp is a little different as it does not use the “store” power supply board, instead it has an SLB (SmoothLikeButter) supply.

View attachment 1199283
So, do you reckon the switch will hold up?

Hi everyone, well, I've built an ACA, a NuTube Preamp, and an Aleph J, all successfully. I tried to swap out Aleph J boards with F6 boards in with the same power supply and it did not work out. I got nothing out of one channel, and a horrible loud high pitched siren noise out of the other. I went through a beefed up the solder on every component/connection, no dice. Just curious if anyone has had a similar problem, or suggestions on where to start looking, other than dismantling and testing to see if something burned out, or is bunk. I did not change the PSU at all between Aleph J and F6, do I need to? Thanks for any help here, guys.

Here's the boards and the PSU in the chassis. I did not do anything to the psu besides disconnect the G, V+, and V-. I pulled out the F6 boards to start checking components. Thank you all, these forums have been so helpful for me.

Attachments

• 20230818_152909.jpg
    20230818_152909.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 88
  • 20230818_152917.jpg
    20230818_152917.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 20230818_152928.jpg
    20230818_152928.jpg
    498.7 KB · Views: 96