The diyAudio First Watt M2x

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Place the big noisy magnetically leaky power transformer away from the signal transformers.

IMG_1904.jpg

I'm going to build my amps with this "on end" method from here on out. Just wondering if the transformer radiates any differently from top or bottom. I was thinking having the side of the transformer that the wires came out of facing the front panel. Why, I have NO idea...is there a difference? I have nothing to back this up with, and it could be worse for all I know?

For most of my First Watt clones, I have used Antek 500VA, with the exception of F5, which I built dual mono with two 300VA Anteks. Hoping there is enough height in Deluxe 4U for 500 VA unit to stand on end.

Russellc

Last edited:
It only fits one way.
The builders notes gives a good description of it.

-Josh

It fits both ways as I tried and I think you are talking about the daughter boards when you say fits only one way. Thats true with the small daughter (input stage) boards but not with Edcor transformer. Pin spacing is exact and hence fits both ways. I saw a comment somewhere in the thread that try and see which side it fits and go for it but was not sure.

thanks

It fits both ways as I tried and I think you are talking about the daughter boards when you say fits only one way. Thats true with the small daughter (input stage) boards but not with Edcor transformer. Pin spacing is exact and hence fits both ways. I saw a comment somewhere in the thread that try and see which side it fits and go for it but was not sure.

thanks

It only fits one way. If you got it to fit the wrong way, then you forced it.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Edcor has downloadable mechanical drawings on their website. Here is a .pdf LINK

The relevant portion is shown below. Notice how pins 1 and 2 are spaced closer together, than any other pair of adjacent pins. The M2x PCBoards match this asymmetrical pin arrangement.

_
attachment.php

_

Attachments

• pin_1_distances.png
    pin_1_distances.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 819
Korg B1 Daugher Board

How about offering a B1 front end for the baby.

Might be kind of fun to have a real triode daugher card
that won't cause the trouble of all the stuff required of
at 300B triode front end.

Just a thought which crossed my mind.

Anyone thought about just making the FirstWattM2 Power Supply
available on a PCB? If it is not already done and N.P. doesn't mind?

It would be kind of nice, immunity is a good thing.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I encourage you to build exciting new daughter cards and try them in your M2x. That's what Do It Yourself is all about! The mechanical interface is simple, see the attachment to post #56. The electrical interface is also simple, see the attachments to post #1.

Design it, build it, debug it on your lab bench, and when it works: drop it into your M2x and feel the extreme satisfaction of a project accomplished.