The diyAudio First Watt M2x

IPS6 Done

Well, here's the first one Mark. I'm going to go to work on the 7 tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20201025_1255561.jpg
    20201025_1255561.jpg
    870.3 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
Good catch AB! Yes, there is a jumper there and no you did not F-Up, the jumper is optional per Mark.

"OPTIONAL: if you wish you can solder in a piece of wire (a "jumper") for R5. I never did, for all of the boards I built and tested and adjusted and sent out to third party listeners / reviewers. But you can do so if you wish. It's your choice; it's your option."

EDIT: Looking at the schematic, it doesn't make sense to me that R5 be installed as it shorts R4. I'm thinking that the jumper would at least have to be removed for tuning. I'll wait for Mark to jump in with his reasoning here.

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
I compromised by just soldering in a lead as a test point which I can snip off later.

I'm a day ahead of you. Photos of IP6&7 attached (if it works--never tried this way before).

Okay--that didn't work. When in doubt read the instructions again.

Listening begins soon...assuming the boards check out ok.

Last edited:
TO attach picture, open the advanced reply section scroll down to manage photos and click on that, then select browse and your file then make sure you drop down and click the upload button and wait until it completes the upload. You can scroll down a bit and see it will show up as file attachment or upload something like that.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Deluxe 4U is fine but if you have a large toroidal transformer like 500 VA and want it to be mounted vertical you probably need a 5U.
I think 6L6 build his M2X using a 3U if you look where this thread starts.
With 3U the heatsinks may be a little hot.....?
Some like the toroid to be mounted vertical as this seems to introduce less hum into the Edcor.

The Antek 500VA is just a hair under 5 1/2" and the 4U is 6 1/8" so it would be quite close.

Russellc

Joined 2005
Paid Member
In tab 362 posts #3616 #3620 maybe relevant to you.

Mark mentions there is a single version of that chip LM4562 but I have not tried that.

@grataku. I had read your posts which is part of what caused the dilemma. Having re-read them you have convinced me to try the LM4562NA first because that's the only one of the series I have. @Mark Johnson I will for sure try out both sockets.

I can't wait to see if the contrast when I change boards hits me in the face or is just noticeable. I am quite fond of the original design with the Ishikawa board. It only gets better from there. I'll report back after a few days of listening.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Each of the seven (!! seven !!) input stage boards has raving fanatics. Does that mean "in fact they all sound exactly the same and people are misguided / deluded / pre-biased" ?? Make up your own mind; my own answer is: no.

For me the GIGANTIC surprise is that nobody hates the sound of IPS6 even though its "principles of operation" are so wildly different ("orthogonal") than all the other IPS boards. It leads me to surmise that what individuals prefer, and the circuits which deliver those preferences, are highly personal and somewhat idiosyncratic. Ya likes what ya likes and ain't nobody can tell youse otherwise.

But, please, try your own experiments and select your own favorites. You can design your own IPS boards if you see fit, the physical dimensions and drill hole placements are documented -- have at it. Or just play with the PCBs made by someone else, there's plenty of diversity to enjoy.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
It is small and compact which is nice.....and cheap.
I have considered the "cheap" Bosch "DIY version":
PBD 40 Sojleboremaskine | Bosch DIY
It has a laser pointer for precise drilling where the mark is. I have struggled with this when using a drill press. By hand the drill bit will center itself in the punch mark.....if it is deep enough.....

You guys have created a "How to" for hole drilling. Maybe I will try it next time.

Thanks

Each of the seven (!! seven !!) input stage boards has raving fanatics. Does that mean "in fact they all sound exactly the same and people are misguided / deluded / pre-biased" ?? Make up your own mind; my own answer is: no.

if you multiply the applicable boards by the number of possible opamps the choices are even greater.

For now I've decided to box myself in the opamp boards and opamp rolling has given very surprising results.
Short of having sliced prosciut' in your ears anyone should be able to tell the diffs. :nod: :D

@grataku. I had read your posts which is part of what caused the dilemma. Having re-read them you have convinced me to try the LM4562NA first because that's the only one of the series I have. @Mark Johnson I will for sure try out both sockets.

I can't wait to see if the contrast when I change boards hits me in the face or is just noticeable. I am quite fond of the original design with the Ishikawa board. It only gets better from there. I'll report back after a few days of listening.

I am waiting for someone to try the LT1122 in the IPS7 as it compares to the LME49720/4562. I have not even gotten to the Analog Devices choices, I would be interested in opinion on those as well.