The car thread

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Okay I just drove it for 1h 30 mins. No problems whatsoever. I saw a Ferrari while I was gallivanting around the rich neighborhoods along the lake. One does not simply become a problem for the constabulary while drinking refreshments in their regional area.

Wasn't really able to stretch its legs that much but I did give it a nice long cruise. The catalytic converter was giving me trouble whenever I gave it some gas as it was making my foot quite hot just keeping it at the speed limit, so I didn't dare bother flooring it off at the lights. It was making the interior quite hot. It was a very hot day anyway but I think mr cat is going to be pulled out of the car entirely. Maybe replaced, maybe removed and replaced with an aftermarket type. It does have 350,000km on it.

Anyway. Got definite heat problems with the cat and they are causing interior temperatures to rise. Might end up causing problems for me if I don't get it fixed straight away as spring and summer is very much here. Might also end up having to remove and move the two 35mmsq cables into another part of the firewall, but where I don't know. There is no space anywhere really.

I don't think under hood temperatures are much of an issue, I lifted the bonnet when I got home and things were rather normal under there temperature wise, intake manifold felt like it was around 40 degrees, no convective heat was coming off of the back or front of the engine and the temp gauge was always reading normal, its more centered around the cat.

I think it was rather silly of Toyota to be putting the cat there right underneath the footwell anyway. Might have to cover the entire footwell with aerogel so that the air con system works more effectively once I get it fixed.

It would be nice to get something so that I can monitor under hood temperatures at certain areas.

I got a hot pussy.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Okay so the wreckers failed me again. sent me a 1MZ-FE ECU instead of a 3VZ-FE ECU... help is hard to find these days.

Anyway I've found a possible substitute if I can't find my original part number, which is 89661-33570. An alternative is 89661-33470. Another substitute might be the Toyota Windom ECU from Russia, part number is: 89661-33200

All three of these part numbers correspond to an automatic transmission 3VZ-FE. Not 3VZ, not 1MZ, 3VZ-FE with an Auto transmission and they all look identical.

It appears that my car's ECU is an unmodified Japanese import. so I might have to look to Japan to find a spare.

Attachments

• pic of 89661-33470.jpg
    pic of 89661-33470.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 86
  • pic of 89661-33200.jpg
    pic of 89661-33200.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 220-diyaudio.jpg
    220-diyaudio.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Hokay.

Substitutes with correct pinouts:
89661-33570 (Original Toyota Vienta Grande with 3VZ-FE A/T)
89661-33580 (1994 Lexus ES300 with 3VZ-FE A/T)
89661-33190 (92-93 Lexus ES300 with 3VZ-FE A/T)

Attachments

• 220-diyaudio.jpg
    220-diyaudio.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 89661-33580.jpg
    89661-33580.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 73
  • pic of 89661-33190.jpg
    pic of 89661-33190.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 34
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The fact you had petrol coming out the tail pipe probably means your Cat is toast! I've blown two cat's on my car, both times when something came off that stopped the igintion firing but the injectors kept firing.

In my case it was really obvious though, the power drop was significant and if you gave the cat and the mufflers a hit you could hear the shrapnel rattling in them.

CAT's definitely do not agree with raw fuel! You should have a heat sheild over the cat as well, if there isn't one, check because I suspect there should be.

Tony.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
The fact you had petrol coming out the tail pipe probably means your Cat is toast! I've blown two cat's on my car, both times when something came off that stopped the igintion firing but the injectors kept firing.

Yeah I know tony tone tone. its just disappointing having to replace yet another part and I feel guilty over thinking about removing it and replacing it with a straight pipe but considering that I'm going to be using the car for long touring trips... well put it this way, I've been in a car before where we were doing 600km in one trip and let me tell you that the floor pan gets unbearably hot, so hot in fact that it burns your feet. So going with a straight pipe might be the best idea.

But I'm just thinking of ways in which I can use an aftermarket cat and put it in there, then add some aspen aerogel in behind the heat shield to further cut down on the heat, and then add more insulation inside of the car on the floor pan. I'm basically thinking about re engineering things a bit so its more comfortable inside of the cabin even when the cat is working properly.

Its got a heat shield, I took it out for another 30 min drive and when I got it back home the floor was hot so I decided to check to see if I could see the cat was glowing hot while the engine was still running when I had it in the driveway. Nope. But yeah, I know that it is most certainly damaged from all of that raw fuel and the extremely high mileage (for a cat).

So it might be best if I just remove the cat entirely and replace it with a piece of straight pipe. I have until next fortnight to decide.

Its probably not as noticeable with me but I do believe that the car would probably end up gaining horsepower if I removed the cat, it just feels like the engine should have more power down low and that is probably the cat being clogged up.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I'll probably be replacing the entire exhaust all the way back to the rear with 2.5" aluminium.

The mufflers probably need replacing anyway. I'll have two mufflers. I like the quietness of twin mufflers.

That simple replacement of old parts will get me about 220hp out of the engine, up from 185 or 200 hp.

Last edited:
nice one cadillac...gm?

For those who don't know, the Cadillac XLR is a Chevrolet Corvette wearing Cadillac skin. It was made in the Bowling Green Kentucky plant along side Corvettes and was GM's only attempt at rebadging a Corvette. Plenty of other GM cars have been sold as Cadillacs, with the Escalade being the most popular. The XLR didn't sell well and was only on the market for a few years. They are rare and somewhat collectable today, especially by the Corvette crowd.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
good to know tubelab.

So I've been thinking about that whole RTV/Formaldehyde gas forming problem/dilemma and I've come up with a solution. I can simply insert an air pump pipe inside of the ECU case through one of the screw holes after I'm done sealing it up with RTV and as a result vent it for 24-48 hours. Then once its all done I can do the final seal with some aluminum tape.

Its either that or finding a "neutral cure" rtv. one that doesn't produce acetic acid. Question regarding using epoxy or RTV on PCBs | Electronics Forums

Here we go, this might do: White Silicone Sealant Paste for Copper, Semiconductor Junction Protection. 100 g Tube, -40 → +150 degC | RS Components

Last edited:
After having had the Monaro "GTO", you couldn't give me an old one. Unfortunately, since so few were brought in to the U.S., and many wound up wrapped around trees, embedded in houses, and I think I recall a picture of one sticking out of a roof after having launched off an elevated on ramp, they are already rare and ragged out. I almost never get rid of a car, even when I am done with it, and I sure regret letting that one go.

" .... which means the car is likely the only one ever configured exactly like it. Unfortunately, there’s no comprehensive database of production numbers by color available for that year. ...."

There are, or were, comprehensive databases for later model GM cars. My Solstice is positively the only car built with its option set. Likewise for another Pontiac I bought at the same time. There are probably a lot of one offs among the low volume cars in that last production year.

So maybe the Solstice will be a new car "find" for someone in a few decades .....

BTW, you can get a "Pontiac" down under - when the plug was pulled practically overnight on the G8, all the remaining production body parts went into a special run of Commodores, that are G8's without the Pontiac Darts and other trade dress. I have no idea if I will be able to get replacement body parts if my car ever gets in a smash up.

Sorry you are still having issues. You have put a lot of effort into that car.

Win W5JAG

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Sorry you are still having issues. You have put a lot of effort into that car.

Win W5JAG

Thanks, But don't be too concerned, I'm not worried. I'm exctactic actually about finally solving the puzzle with my car and happy that I can finally move on onto other things. I am a little concerned about the doctors results from a 24 hour urine collection that I did yesterday :rofl: but at the moment... I'm fine. I'm more worried about how hot its going to get this summer than anything, de-dusted the air conditioner today and it smells a bit mouldy. I'm extremely sensitive to heat, doctor thinks its best that I get screened for Chron's Disease. I'm really happy that I've found a doctor that actually listens to me now actually.

Nope. I'm just sitting here in bed cooling off in front of an old National fan that I got off the side of the road, after getting a mild sunburn today while driving my car today, with tinted windows, figure that one out. Browsing Century brand lead acid batteries on ebay and wondering if its best that I go with AGM or Flooded for cyclic use, aka, car amplifier use.

At least I can tell the nurse that its not warm anymore as I'll be delivering it tomorrow, here's hoping that the weather is also cooler, the funny part is that the pathologist is right next to where we buy groceries from so I'll be carrying a shopping bag with a large bottle of pee camouflaged inside.

I wasn't paticularly happy about having to take the 5L jug home with me past a bunch of young girls going to the clothes shop with a clear plastic bag though.

I'm also glad that I'll be going down and at some point tomorrow removing the cat and kicking the **** out of the catalytic converter with a crowbar and hollowing it out and maybe taking it for another drive. Saves having to buy $40 worth of straight pipe I guess.

Sorry to hear that you guys are having problems with hurricanes again too.

Last edited:
.... Browsing Century brand lead acid batteries on ebay and wondering if its best that I go with AGM or Flooded for cyclic use, aka, car amplifier use.

I don't know about cyclic use, but when the flooded Varta in my Jag went weak after about twelve years, I looked into whether I should replace it with an AGM or another flooded battery. What I recall was that the AGM batteries won't tolerate well a charging voltage above a particular value, less than what you typically see with flooded systems, and since the Jag had no voltmeter, I didn't know what its charging voltage was. I went with flooded.

If you have an O2 sensor after the Cat, and the cat is missing, this may confuse the ECU. I'm not familiar with the feedback loops on Toyota ( or any other cars, other than my own ).

Sorry to hear that you guys are having problems with hurricanes again too.

For the folks on the East coast, it sure looks bad for wherever that thing ultimately lands, but out here in fly over country, we don't get Hurricanes, but once in a while may get left over torrential rain from the really big ones that come in from Louisiana or Texas. We get tornadoes, from wimpy stuff up to super cell tornadoes. They can, and often do, flatten towns and kill people, but don't make vast areas of catastrophic destruction like Hurricanes. We don't get much of a warning, a few minutes, maybe, if you are lucky. Ham radio helps a lot. If you live in these areas long enough, you get kind of an instinct for these things from the look / feel of the atmosphere ...

Win W5JAG

Barra 325 = 450bhp

Am Sooooo glad I gave up on cars before Fast and Deluded got into late-teen wet dreams.

Smashing the cats guts out wont improve much, you'll still have holes in your curves and your ecu aint smart* enough to fill em.
Know this from a mates Renault Laguna - cat disintegrated on a motorway, RAC man who pitched up lent me the tools to drop the cat and gut it, mpg's went from 50 to 30 which was only a bit better than the 15 before gutting.

*ECU's are as dumb as an 1000lb iron bomb.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Yeah I know you gain maybe 1-2hp. The factory one is three way too, says so right in the service manual.

The cat isn't glowing red hot but its bloody hot on the floorpan, as mentioned previously.

I need to remove the cat to stop it from setting the car on fire and I really don't see the justification of replacing it with another one just to have to take it out again when I replace the entire exhaust system to 2.5". I'm going to end up later on down the track pulling the whole thing out again, its getting pretty rusted out there.

The problem is I have no help with it and those bolts are on there pretty tight, no mechanic will help me do it cause its illegal.

So I'm going to have to either leave the cat in there and drive the car conservativley until I can replace the entire exhaust system, or I gut the cat for the time being until its replaced so that it stops heating up the floor pan. Its not severe enough to start a fire but it managed to heat up my foot last night pretty well, through a rubber shoe, through the carpet, through two layers of heat shield.

That is also worth mentioning, nothing is wrong with the car now, took it for a drive again last night. Replacing the capacitors in the ECU 100% cured the cars ailments and its actually getting really good fuel economy. I can't wait to do the math on it.

The replacement exhaust will be a 100% engineered and properly fitted three way catalytic converter with two mufflers to keep the factory sound level but also improve power output slightly. The stock factory one is nearing end of life anyway.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I love that car. Its so thin and lightweight and nimble and tight both in the feeling of the wheel bearings and rolling resistance and on the build quality of the interior.

I went over and rented Spiderman on DVD and I literally felt like I was riding a bicycle when I was getting it over a speed bump. The car rolled backwards because it didn't go up the speed bump all the way and it reminded me of when I was riding a bicycle as a kid.

And because I removed two of the horns and left one of the horns in it now sounds like a little sqeaky "oliver" car out of Top Gear. I had to honk the horn because there was a car coming out, also in a camry, and it was going to run into my car while I was trying to find a car park. But the squeaky little horn saved the day.

That is another thing, parking it is a dream!

Last edited:
Well it sounds like there may be something with the cat, shouldn’t be that warm, and may well have had the honeycomb core crumble and clog itself.
I would experiment with carrying on as you had planned in order to determine if that is at fault...
Btw, the best rust busting spray is available here in the states from the Toyota dealer, parts counter. Is actually made by a small company in California, and is becoming discontinued due to chemical laws here, but you may be able to find some there perhaps.
It is called “rust penetrant”, is in a red/black spray can. A spray each day for a couple days at least will make a big difference I have found.