The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

my mobile system is a bit more modular than the most excellent boominator. There is some pics of it here:

http://pix.minirig.org.au/main.php?g2_itemId=550

and here:

http://pix.minirig.org.au/main.php?g2_itemId=663

It breaks down into 3 entirely different systems depending on the amount you want to carry. Last weekend I was at a music festival and I just used the amp9-basic, one sub and one pair of 6x9", plus all the DJ inputs. It ran off a inverter and a solenoid/isolator dual battery setup in a car.

In someways though it is better to have it all compact in one unit. One of the hassles with the modular system is it isn't very convenient to just chuck in the car when everyone deserts the campsite. Our problem is mainly all the DJ paraphernalia though.

col.

Cheers Cal, that’d be right, I mentioned being under moderation and that was the first post that went up straight away!

Nice looking setup col! Looks very cool but I do want something battery/solar powered and the portable part is nice (I don’t have all the dj gear to lug around). The car stereo is usually suffice but the little corolla battery goes flat fairly quickly. At most festivals it isn’t a problem because you can just push start it to give it a charge but it’d be near impossible to push start at falls (not sure if you’ve been), you’d end up running over somebody’s tent!

Are they standard car 6x9s? I think I’ll be back to Saturnus’ suggestion of car tweeters if i don’t find some other suitable high frequency drivers soon.

I’ve had a good read through the Amp9basic docs and think I’m sold on it. It’s got much more oomph than the amp6 and added flexibility with the bridging capabilities. I’ll sleep on it but more than likely think that’s the path I’ll take.

Now the questions are Tweeters and active/passive network...

tsnell, sounds like you would be better off just putting a dual battery setup in your car and powering your car audio off the auxiliary battery. Iv'e just done this with my car, it was awesome at Earthcore and if the battery started to get a bit flat I could just leave the engine running for a bit, not that I needed to though.

Components:

1 x redarc dual battery isolator (http://redarc.com.au/smart-start.htm)

cable and fuses to the location of the second battery

1 x Hybrid deep cycle fast charge battery (mine is a supercharge allrounder MRV70)

col.

Thanks for the link col. They look interesting, I’ll email the seller and see if I can get any more info. Hi Coit, checked out volts online and compared with Jaycar. They do seem to stock exactly the same lines of gear. I’ve just done a better search of the jaycar site and they actually have a few options there( I had only found one on there before and they looked more made for an alarm siren than for music). Probably the most interesting is this one:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productVie...d2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

But there is also
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productVie...d2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

and

They may not be the most “hifi” option out there but the price is right and there is a jaycar nearby. Any thoughts?

You guys will probably like this my mobile disco:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Bass is a double 15" kapplite reflex box driven with 450w class D 12v mono car amp.

Tops are a mid horn and APT150 CD and have an active crossover and run from four of my 10W class D amps.

It sounds awesome, is really loud and runs for hours. The trouble is its a bit fragile because i rushed it to get it working for this festival.

The trouble is its a bit fragile because i rushed it to get it working for this festival.

Well, you got all winter to refine it now!

Is the car amp one of the new Response Class-D?

Can't see your inputs from any of those photo's. Is there a DJ working that rig? What equipment is he using? One of my biggest problems has been trying to combine the DJ mixer, CD players, decks, etc.. which have to be 240v via an inverter, with anything that is 12v powered of the same power source. The only way Iv'e been able to get it to work is if I have the amps running through the same inverter.

col.

if someone is looking for some cheap piezos, i have a bunch here, surplus. they are pyle PSN1167's.

bought them from millionbuy.com a few years back for a project that ended up changing in design. I was thinking of wiring them them up into a couple of big melded line arrays, but probably wont get around to it.

looking at your jaycar links though, the piezos i have are only 75Wrms, so may be too small for your job. i use them in large arrays - 16 or so per array.

but contact me if you need some. I'm in Sydney.

cheers,

ben

Struth, that thing’s a beast! Well done Davey

Hey anomalous, probably interested mate. Tried to send you an email but it said your email address is private. How much for 4? Have you got a spec sheet or link? Had a quick google but there seems to be 2 different sets of specs quoted on different websites.

Cheers,
Tim

specs on the box say:

3.5" square horn tweeter
75Wrms / 150Wpeak
93dB 1W/1M

the box says to use a 30 ohm series resistor with them to "assure the stability of extended range amplifiers"

the designs (BFM) ive been using use a 4ohm series res for an array of them.

i would use (at least) a pair per side, trimmed so the centres are as close together as possible - cut about 2cm off one side of each, and glue them together with pvc pipe cement. wire them in parallel. you get a boost to the sensitivity, an extension of the useable low end. and a flattening of the response.

similar to this - tho he is talking about a pair melded at a 45degree angle into a crossfiring pair.

happy to sell you 8 of them for $40 plus postage.

cheers,

ben

One of my friends is a techno/electronica DJ/composer (I'm more into metal myself). and when we have beach/festival parties he use an ancient celeron laptop with a pro 5.1 USB soundcard attached using two channels to a standard mixer. He use a ancient piece of DJ software that only runs on Win95/98.

Everything runs directly on 12V since the mixer has a 12V wallwart, and the soundcard is USB powered. The laptop is slightly modified with a external USB harddrive containing the music and more interestingly a piece of wood cut to the same dimensions as the laptop battery with external leads to get directly to 12V because although the original PSU for the laptop specifies a 18V output the battery pack itself is as in most old laptops a 10 cell NiMH pack which is drectly replacable by a car battery.

I'll get the name and possibly a link for that software when I'm visiting him this weekend because he's the one who'll be salvaging the CAD files from the crashed harddrive anyways.

Oh, and one final thing about tweeters. If all else fails just use the square JayCar ones with a 100 Ohm resistor in series with each this year, and replace them with better ones next festival season. The tweeters are in contrast to the woofers mounted from the outside for just that purpose originally, ie that I could switch between different tweeters.

Hey Ben, That sounds absolutely brilliant mate. I’ll take you up on that and take the 8. Email me your details and we can sort it out.

I’ve ordered the Amp9 Basic. That will mean I’ll be able to run the tweeters and woofers at each end off their own output. If the woofers are wired parallel and the tweeters are too then I should get 2 ohm loads for each channel which should get max power output from the amp. It all seems too easy...

Thanks for the help everybody!

12V djmixer

just by a numark cdmix. these usually run on 12V DC and are not that power hungry neither.

Attachments

• numark_cdmix2.jpg
    numark_cdmix2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,024
The amp is a VIBE 1200w monoblock. Pulls about 1A quiescent. The bass seriously kicks it out. the mids are skytronic pa horns. Actually sound really nice when crossed over properly! I serioulsy recommend this setup.

We just run off ipods or anything which takes a 3.5mm jack. Sounds silly but it saves so much hassle. People can come along and plug in their sound and contribute. no djs, no mixing, just music.

The mobile disco is strictly non-serious fun only. 90's hiphop, richard cheese, 70s disco, classic rock anthems and the like. Simple music for simple people.

Its hard to see but across the top is a massive 20w 20 led VU meter. :)

The carnival procession was just silly. 50+ fancy dress girls and stiltwalkers dancing behind the rig pumping out socca music. I was so drunk i kept falling over and knocking the sound off. oops