The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Hi Guys, just started building a kind of boominator that would fit in my cargo bike.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.923114931075488.1073741838.480592011994451&type=3

This is the setup: a boominator ( hp10w + monacor tweeters) with a cubo 12 (dayton driver) for some extra bass. Powered by the pioneer Pioneer GM-D8604.

I've been redesigning the boominator cabinet using sketchup. And used the 2015 sketchup model of the boominator for measurements.

I copied the exact internal measuments for each cabinet (138mmx276mmx786mm) resulting in a 29,937168 litre internal volume.

Question 1:[/B] what do you guys think of the design? I know i lose some db in this setup (woofers not facing each other). Can i place the airport like this?

Question 2: Did i use the right dimensions? Is this the best volume in liters?

Question 3: Anyone knows the total volume in litres of the 4 hp10w's + the 4 monacor tweeters?

Question 4: Can somebody help me with calculating the total volume in liters of the bracing?

Numbers in mm:
* Airport piece: 92mm x 276mm x 24mm =609,408 (minus the airport opening, how do i calculate that?)
* Bracing piece with holes. 114mm x 276mm x 12mm minus rectuangular shape (117,3mm x 12mm x 57mm) Minus the 6 holes diameter

Pictures:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

All help would be appreciated!

Planning on upgrading to LiFePO4 batteries, specifically with 2 of these:

EV-Power | LiFePO4 Battery Pack (12V/7Ah PCM)

Do you think it's possible to connect these in parallel, or will the PCM's do weird things to each other?

Also, what's your experience using "regular" solar panel chargers? Can't really seem to find any LiFePO4-suited at a reasonable price.. and what should the difference really be between regular SLA and a LiFePO4 with PCM, charging-wise?

Thanks a lot :)!

Pew! Got through the whole thread. Amaazing read. Now I build!
There are some subjects that I have not been able to completely get around, and I was hoping to get some help from this epic community.

1. There is a lot about chargers and batteries in this thread, but my concern is with lifepo4 battery and a pwm charge controller (this is the one I've got my hands around) :
12V/24V 30A Solar lade Controller - svart-Gratis frakt - DealExtreme
I've read somewhere that one would need dedicated mppt chargers for lifepo4, but others have claimed that any charge controller of newer date would do the trick sufficiently. What is the truth regarding this issue?

2. I've also read in this thread that one would be able to wire in a 19,5v power supply for laptop together with a charge controller to charge a sla battery. Is this the case for lifepo4 together with the same charge controller as well?

3. For charging lifepo4 with sla charger, one would get 85-90% of battery capasity. Is it the same for charging with 19.5v psu and charge controller?

4. Someone in this thread or another stated that lifepo4 with bms & pcb do not need fuse. Any comments on this?

5. I came over lutkevelds buildlog at instructables.com. Kudos for this recipe. There is one thing in there that I wasn't google with the res ults i desired. It says that he removed some input capacitors from the Maxamp "to save the speakers from unneccesary excursion at frequencies it can't really reproduce". Is this something that will give benefits to power consuption? What capasitors to remove (when facing inputjack)?

6. Maxamp20 with iphone, no preamp: Solder for high or low gain?

Respect to all of you for the most informative internet forum I ever came across.
And Saturnus: U the King.

I'm pondering what I'm going to build for version 2 of the card now. The awesome card design Saturnus has in his crowdfunded project makes me feel the need to play catch-up, I might steal some of his ideas and go for a bluetooth-input design. I won't do the dynamic DC/DC regulator/biamping/psychoacoustic DSP stuff that he's doing in his card, instead aiming for a lower power design that takes much less time to develop :)

I started reading this forum yesterday evening and I kept reading until the sun came out. Definitely a V2 would be really nice.

For me the best features it might have:

1. Bluetooth with APTx.
  2. Low power automatic standby.
  3. Charge circuit with balance function for a 4S LiPo pack.
  4. Using CSR8645 would also allow to have USB music input.
2. For automatic standby I suppose some watchdog could be implemented with a micro-controller and signal sensing. If no relevant signal level is detected for 5 minutes then the amp could be put automatically in standby to save power. If the signal comes back the the watchdog could be reset.

I started reading this forum yesterday evening and I kept reading until the sun came out. Definitely a V2 would be really nice.

For me the best features it might have:

1. Bluetooth with APTx.
  2. Low power automatic standby.
  3. Charge circuit with balance function for a 4S LiPo pack.
  4. Using CSR8645 would also allow to have USB music input.
2. For automatic standby I suppose some watchdog could be implemented with a micro-controller and signal sensing. If no relevant signal level is detected for 5 minutes then the amp could be put automatically in standby to save power. If the signal comes back the the watchdog could be reset.
I'm inquiring about AptX support right now. Including the feature means I have to get permission from AptX, then get Microchip or Silabs to sell us a module that's programmed with the support.

There are chinese modules on alibaba which claim to come with AptX support, however I'd much rather get a "proper" module from an established manufacturer that offers documentation/support and a guarantee that AptX is actually in there :) Microchip RN52 and Bluegiga WT32i seem to both fit the bill.

Low power automatic standby will be in there. I can put down a low power Cortex-M microcontroller and monitor the I2S signal going from the bluetooth chip to the amp. If the audio feed goes quiet but remains present, I can mute the amplifier, and unmute it very quickly if it comes back. If there's no bluetooth audio connection, the amp will be shut down.

I'm looking at the TI TAS576x family for the amp chip, one of them takes I2S input and has a built in DSP core that can do highpass/equalization duties. Two of the chips side by side could easily do biamping; just program one DAC with a highpass filter, the other DAC with a lowpass. I'd have to figure out a good way to make the crossover characteristics configurable though, for people using different drivers. I'll ponder that one.

Charge circuit... I'd rather not put the cell balancing/monitoring into the card itself, it's much safer to have that built into the battery pack itself and not have unfused wires running between the cells and the card that could potentially get hooked up wrong with bad results.

In other news, I'm finally building another Boominator. Using GW1058 woofers, GT-1001 tweeters, a 15aH SLA battery and one of the old cAMP prototypes mounted in a Hammond box.

gu64LaVh.jpg

I repaired an old Sansui solid state amp for Paul at Cabot Acoustics here in the Halifax area:

paulburchell fine woodworkingCabot Acoustics

In return he's letting me use his shop and helping me out with the build. Working with him has been amazing... I went in with a set of simple plans and planned to just screw and PL everything together, but now the front/back/ends/braces are all dadoed together and the top/bottom will be biscuit joined on. It'll be high quality and rock solid when it's done.

Eiser,

I have two of these:

https://www.bioennopower.com/products/12v-6ah-lifepo4-battery

And I had the same question re: using them together for 12v 12 ah pack.

The company told me that the batteries should be identical internally with resistance and all, so it should be okay to parallel them.

--Of course I found that I didn't have enough room inside the boominator to use them both and include all the other stuff I wanted in there, so that became a moot point.

gmarsh, please post lots of pics, would love to see how you handle inside of the electronics compartment.

I used hammond 1590p1F for my cAMP.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/61137825@N03/26370311316/in/dateposted-public/
I built my design using imperial dimensions - my outside dimensions are 3x1x1' instead of the 90x30x30cm of the original build. Keeping the same air volume inside widens the electronics compartment to 4", which lets me stuff in a single 4" wide, 15aH SLA battery, and lets me use a wider case.

Another change I've made is I've got the top/bottom panels sitting on top of the front/back panels, instead of in between the front/back panels as with the original Boominator design. So I've got one side of the electronics compartment completely open, which you can see here.

78h73lgh.jpg

My case is a Hammond 1590BBSFBK, wider than the typical 1590N case. I'm putting the power switch, 3.5mm audio input jack, USB jack and status LED on the front of the case, with the battery and speaker wiring going out the back of the case through a cable gland. This will be screwed to the underside of the top.

Eiser,

I have two of these:

https://www.bioennopower.com/products/12v-6ah-lifepo4-battery

And I had the same question re: using them together for 12v 12 ah pack.

The company told me that the batteries should be identical internally with resistance and all, so it should be okay to parallel them.

--Of course I found that I didn't have enough room inside the boominator to use them both and include all the other stuff I wanted in there, so that became a moot point.

Alright, thanks a lot stevee :)

I'm considering assembling my own LiFePo4 battery, using 4 10Ah cells in series, hooked up to a BMS like this:

Life Battery PCM Protection Balance Module bms for 4S 12 8V LiFePO4 8A 4S8W003 | eBay

And then either with this cheap ebay "MPPT" (pretty sture it's just a PWM) solar charge regulator that I already have in my Boominator:

LED 10A MPPT Solar Charge Controller 12/24V Auto Switch Waterproof Timer IP68 PK | eBay

OR try this, which should be more suitable for LiFePo4 batteries:

BQ24650 5A MPPT Solar Panel Lithium Lead Acid Battery Charging Controller Board | eBay

Anyone got any idea if the last solar charger will actually work, or do I risk that it will fail on me?

Will it be a better solution to buy the SLA replacement from EV-Power maybe?

EV-Power | LiFePO4 Battery Pack (12V/7Ah PCM)

Just not sure if these has BMS, and therefore will charge unevenly if I just use one of the "simple" solar chargers....

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really having a hard time figuring out what the ideal solution with these LiFePo's is :D

Eiser, "PCM" means battery management system "The PCM manages the internal cells and provides overcharge and discharge protection."

the bioenno batteries are same: "Includes built-in PCM (protection circuit module) which provides balancing of internal cells, and protection from overcurrent, undervoltage (overdischarge), and overvoltage"

you are supposed to use the lifepo4 capable solar charger.

again, nice thing about the c-AMP is that all of this stuff is included on the card.

Last edited:
The cAMP does undervoltage protection, and the solar charger shouldn't overcharge the battery, but it doesn't do cell balancing.

So you'll still want a LiFePO4 pack that has a module built into it that does cell balancing. Having a second layer of overvoltage/undervoltage protection in the pack itself can't hurt either.

Eiser, "PCM" means battery management system "The PCM manages the internal cells and provides overcharge and discharge protection."

the bioenno batteries are same: "Includes built-in PCM (protection circuit module) which provides balancing of internal cells, and protection from overcurrent, undervoltage (overdischarge), and overvoltage"

you are supposed to use the lifepo4 capable solar charger.

again, nice thing about the c-AMP is that all of this stuff is included on the card.

Aaah - I guess I overlooked "...manages the internal cells...", or didn't interpret this as meaning that it actually balances the batteries. Well if it does, then I guess I'll go with the 7Ah for EV-Power, and try out the solar charging board. Thanks a lot for pointing that out :)!