The Blomley Class B amplifier

Blomley talks about this in the article, but he uses standard 2N3904/2N3906 .... Tr5 "2N3905" must be a typo in the article. 2N3905 is PNP type just like the 2N3906. Schematic should read "2N3903" or "2N3904".

Referring back to message #182, there was a correction published in Wireless World April 1971, bottom of page 180 (World Radio History: Wireless World April 1971):
Correction
Peter Blomley, author of the articles 'New approach to class B amplifier design' (February and March issues), tells us Tr5 in Fig.1 of the second article should be type 2N3904 and not 2N3905, and that in Fig. 5 the ordinate should be labelled 0.00075%/cm, and not 0.0012%/cm.
I did not find any other corrections up to the end of the year.

https://www.pcbway.com/blog/help_center/How_to_generate_Gerber_from_Sprint_Layout_6_0.html
JLC takes zipped Gerber files.
You can generate/export Gerbers with above instructions with the design files and Sprint Layout.
The Demo version may accept the design size.
The Demo version does accept the Sprint file for egra's Blomley PCB but unfortunately the Export, Save and Print functions are disabled in version 6 (the current one on the website).

egra, would you consider uploading the PCB as Gerber? Are they available on any of the PCB maker's websites - PCBway or JLCPCB or whoever?

I re-read most of these posts and did a little research. The BC546 and BC556 are good replacements for the 2n3904 and 2n3906. They are 65v devices with ~300MHz ft. If you don't need the high voltage, BC547 or BC548 with theit matching PNPs (BC557, BC558) are faster. Splitter transistors only have to take half the supply voltage.

Other transistors that need a bit of speed are the output NPN and PNP pair of power transistors. The improvements in manufactoring are telling. In 1972 the 2n3055 was our goto big power transistor (for telephone circuits) but then it had an ft of 10kHz (no typo). I was playing with quasi-complementary Blomley circuits at the time and tried the 2n3055. It nearly worked - you could hear it was wrong, but only just. Blomley is a VERY tolerent circuit. Modern 2n3055s would work fine with an ft of 2.5MHz. The complement of the 2n3055 is the MJ2955. (I'm not seriously suggesting that you use these but they will work fine.) Complementary PNPs were nearly unknown in 1972.

Reactions: 1 user
I have just joined this forum, I used to do a lot of audio electronics design back in the 1970s.

I think I have a photocopy of the full wireless world article on the Peter Blomley PA design somewhere, I tended to keep things like that. It was an interesting idea, but whether practical performance justified its complexity was another matter. The reason I largely gave up designing audio circuits was that it seemed to me there was nothing practical left to gain in quality terms - everything was good enough, for me, snyway.

As a matter of fact, I'm still using the amplifier I finished designing just before my 1st year college exams in early summer 1974.

My 40+ years experience says "build the BJT Blomley JUST AS Peter Blomley designed and don't use ANY ICs anywhere including the preamp". The real 'presence' sound is instantly gone if you do.

Once you hear it, you'll believe me. If you're not an instant total convert, you've made a mistake in the construction or choice of components or you've got an IC in the pre-amp.

The design is really robust and easy to build.

The Blomley is a design completely without measurable intermodulation distortion because it is nearly completely linear without feedback (well under 2% harmonic distortion WITH NO AC FEEDBACK). Compare that with normal Class B with >32% harmonic distortion with no feedback and Class A with >8% distortion. Intermodulation distortion happens in non-linear circuits only. As a test, in a simulation put a BIG (100uF) film capacitor (impractical in real life) in the small-signal side of the feedback components. Gain is enormous but you can make the input signal as small as you wish to get a non-clipping output. Then look at the output sine wave. It is perfect to the eye, without any crossover plateau. If you are clever, you can measure the distortion - I don't know enough about Spice. Then try the same with a normal Class B amp.

Peter Blomley made the gain of his amp arbitrarily 100. The more common gain is about 20 making clipping easier to control in modern setups. The ratio of the resistors in the feedback path can easily be changed.
A little off-topic; apologies in advance.

I was listening to some music on headphones through my JLH headphone amp and I thought about this comment. My newer JLH headphone amp is an AliExpress version; the DC offset is inclined to drift as it warms up - and it does get quite warm. I wondered if anyone has made a Blomley-type headphone amp, i.e. with signal splitting separate from the amplification stage; would there be any improvement? Would it be as good as a Class-A headphone amp? It should at least be cooler.