The Black Hole......

Joined 2016
Paid Member
We went to a tasting weekend at Glenmorangie some years back. It all got a bit vague after the breakfast tasting session - in the bonded warehouse, straight from the casks... Best breakfast ever...

We have a club here, we get a barrel every year or so from well known distilleries at a bargain price, bottle it and auction for charity. Plus we all get a bottle too... We're not allowed to publicly say which distillery it is, but it's a great way to get excellent cask whisky!

Last edited:
We went to a tasting weekend at Glenmorangie some years back. It all got a bit vague after the breakfast tasting session - in the bonded warehouse, straight from the casks... Best breakfast ever...

Sounds nice. It was on my 2020 travel list potentially until COVID ruined it. I really like the plain old Glenmorangie 10. Light, but hard to go wrong with.

Hans: I'd assumed that Sherry, like Port in Portugal, was nearly all export focussed over the last 400 years or so. Not sure how true that is.

When I went to university, students drank beer and lots of Sherry.
Nowadays, Sherry is a completely forgotten drink in the Netherlands.
It used to be very populair in the UK after Francis Drake in 1587 conguered Cadiz, destroyed their fleet, and took home 2900 casks of Xeres, Anglicised to Sherry, this all according to Wiki. Sherry was considered amongst the finest wines at that time in Europe.
Nice reading all those heroic stories.

Hans

Joined 2002
Paid Member
They didn’t understand the word Sherry or Sandeman, only Fino did trigger them to find some stowed away bottle showing more or less that sherry is not even populair in (the north) Spain. Hans
Some 20 years ago, during my first night at a 4 star hotel in Madrid, I called room service for a beer. Silence at the other side of the phone and then a hesitant voice “we don’t have beer”. I then asked for whiskey, I got a “this we have sir”.
Next morning, I had to take a taxi. We were passing in front of a place that seemed to me like a bar. It had a ‘Cerveceria’ sign at the front. I asked the taxi driver what does this word mean and he told me that ‘beer’ is called ‘cerveza’ in Spanish.
That night at the hotel I called the room service again. I asked for a beer. Same response as the previous night. “Err, we don’t have”. Then I asked if they had cerveza. “Oh yes, cerveza we have sir” :)
Sherry was considered amongst the finest wines at that time in Europe.
I had enjoyed a really fine sherry once. We (a company of five students) broke the seal of the small cask and drained it in two days. Later we were notified it was a two generations-old wine. :smash:

George

My absolute favorite (in homeopatic doses, unfortunately).

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 154
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Well 'cooking' Glenfiddich 12 is £25 a bottle and you can get some very nice stuff for £40. Your XXV is £400 a bottle. Of course depends on a definition of 'decent' :D. I have lower standards than many

At least with booze you smell, you taste, you fall over and decide if you liked it...

Then I'll take it back, it's the other way around, the XXV bottle is here the equivalent of 230 quid as of today. Come to Canada and get a lifetime stock, or start a productive business :D. That's one kind of a margin, half price, one trip over the big pond included :D.

Attachments

• XXV.jpg
    XXV.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Glenlivet 25 is one of the more reasonably priced 25s also, which tells you just how crazy the demand is. I recall my father getting gifted bottles of Macallan 25 in the early 2000s, which was a few hundred at the time, but now is 10x that in the US since Macallan has become extremely popular (and overrated).

I know whisky collection and speculation is a thing now, but I’m not sure if that’s affecting the standard 25 yr prices or only rarer bottles.

Last edited:
:scratch: What? No giving whisky company the technical benefit of the doubt like you should have given to everybody else with an understandable technical story behind their products, although you can't check whether this is the real story?

I mean, most whisky manufacturers have no story at all, came to their design after much trial and error, which is O.K., but they came with some silly nonsense explanation afterwards.
And repeating the question you've put before, does that whisky company really achieve their technical objectives and does it have a positive impact on the quality?
The proof of the pudding is in the drinking.
:scratch2: