The Black Hole......

One thing one has to admit.
This Shunyata guy is a genius in inventing names for his inventions to let his products stand out from the competition.

DTCD direct transient current delivery
CCI component to component interference
DPC distributed power conditioning
NIC noise isolation chamber
ZrCa-2000 ferro electric crystalline material
CGS chassis grounding system
KPIP kinetic phase inversion process
QR/BB coulomb energy reservoir
SISMD self-induced signal micro distortion
TAP transverse axial polarizer
HARP current mode cable resonance diffractor
VTX skin effect eliminator
ETRON prevents dielectric absorption and re-radiation

Because I had a good connection to a high end Audio Shop, I could try out several expensive arm thick Shunyata power cables and a conditioner.
But may be, as I mentioned before, because all my gear is connected over OEO balanced connections, I could not hear the slightest difference.
But at least I tried :D :D

Hans

Maybe not only in the listener's head. I have seen some evidence some capacitors, even high quality film, can take a few weeks to finally settle into a particular sound. As a simple experiment I mounted a film cap at the Vref input pins of AK4499 (a very sensitive spot). The cap was mounted on a gold pin header for quick A/B comparisons. After waiting two weeks the sound had fully settled as far I can tell. I pulled off the cap, and swapped its pins around so the Vref 5v DC bias was reversed inside the cap. Took it another week and a half to fully recover from that. Thus, I would guess some kind of slow equilibrium process occurs in DA for those particular caps.

so at a point where inductance might be critical you put a header in?

I would expect there is probably more inductance inside the rolled film and foil cap, also from its physical size and required lead-length to reach the pin header. But, yes there is some inductance and ESR.

For that reason there are two pin headers mounted near the Vref pins for each channel. A small HF bypass cap, say, 33nf Wima FPK2, can affect HF sound a little. A larger cap, say, .1uf, can make the sound too bright and out of balance.

Ultimately, I would like to get rid of the caps as much as possible and move the discrete Vref regulators closer to the Vref pins. To some extent I am still exploring the implications of AKM's evaluation circuit design choices.

Last edited:
>SISMD self-induced signal micro distortion.

Well, I guess that seals it then. If you have anything and try to put a signal through it... That explains the "arm thick" power cables - less SISMD than a lesser hunk of wire.

If you have that kind of money to spend, I suppose it's not a lot of salesmanship to convince someone to spend it, using such terms. Naming your products after various mountains, with the obvious "rock-solid" connotation, doesnt hurt.

I've always wondered if all the "alluring" names / descriptions stuff was dropped in high end (anything), if sales would follow? Like, instead of calling a power conditioner Denali, you called it "M2" or some other flat designation that doesnt happen to evoke...Majesty.

C'mon. A whiff of that stuff is about as attractive as burned component smell to me. Gets me to leave the room quickly - and check my wallet.

@Bill
My original point was in regard to whether or not so-called burn-in time must entirely because of plasticity inside the listener's head.

It was to not say all my experiments have positive outcomes. Some do, some don't. I am not happy with some of AKM's Vref evaluation circuit design choices, particularly for Vref. Don't see a way to make it work well enough using their topology.

To completely change the subject, I am working on the acoustic characteristics of the very common US roll up vinyl window blinds. Are these common elsewhere?

They are often used to control the visibility through the windows. They are not the same as the parallel slat Venetian blinds.

To complete the window trim drapes are often placed to the window sides.

The interesting characteristic is that the primary mode of sound absorption is diaphragmatic unlike thin drapes.

How common? Anyone using them to control acoustics? (As they reduce low frequencies but not high frequencies they may be used to balance the frequency absorption spectrum. Tuning is done by rolling them up or down.)

Last edited: