The Black Hole......

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
got 40 odd different ones in the supply cupboard... :D

You sound like my son :)

He watches a YouTube channel (rafydotcom) - hasn’t got 40 ‘bots’ but probably 7 or 8 on tap and he can give a good story about each one.

My excuse for visiting is to see my grandson but it’s also for the malts ;)

I’ll have one every two or three nights of run of the mill stuff and I keep the single malts for when he and his brother visit - I’ve got 2 in the cupboard waiting.

Last edited:
Tech stock bubble. There are companies that have had a market cap of Billions before even getting a properly functioning proto out the door let
alone actual production. A certain company that bears the christian name of Tesla comes to mind.

Tesla bull run is over for the moment and they will likely grow into their current price to some degree. There is a lot of speculation weighted on
potential autonomous driving revenue and that is a big gamble IMO. However their energy sector will likely be the sleeping giant that makes some real
money over the next decade.

Mercedes should do OK they are quite diversified WRT EV technology (buses
etc) but companies such as Ford and GM... they've got their work cut out for them.

TCD

I think it's a mix of factors. Just look at Intel. Tech stock, basically prints money, but there is extreme pessimism. The market only cares about potential growth above all else, and Intel is facing increasing competitive pressure.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Intel has been trying for years to break out o& being a one horse show - ie PC CPU’s and then server stuff. I met one of their senior guys at Computex in Taiwan in 2012/2013 and they had been chomping away at the issue for 10 yrs then already. It hasn’t stopped them retaining their position as #1 in semi sales, but there are other players coming along and alternatives - eg ARM so who knows what the future holds.

As far as Nvidia goes, perhaps ‘irrational exuberance’ best describes their valuation. Nuts.

On another note, Square Financial (owned by nobody else but Jack Dorsey of Twitter fame) purchased the majority stock in the music streaming service Tidal, against some 250M in cash and stock.

Hopefully he will kill MQA, although I won't hold my breath. MQA has a very strong support in the content owners, not for quality reasons (they don't give a FF on that) but because the embedded DRM.

I do hope MQA ends up in the bin, but like you said, I think the DRM is the key feature. I don't think Sony even cared whether or not SACD had any technical merits, it was a great DRM success for a while since DSD was barely usable on PCs. Both worthless ideas. I have no problem with offering high res files or rates for those who want it, but MQA is really garbage and we would be better off without these "features".

I do hope MQA ends up in the bin, but like you said, I think the DRM is the key feature. I don't think Sony even cared whether or not SACD had any technical merits, it was a great DRM success for a while since DSD was barely usable on PCs. Both worthless ideas. I have no problem with offering high res files or rates for those who want it, but MQA is really garbage and we would be better off without these "features".

Hmmm... I find a number of things you say, I am very inclined to agree on.

My problem is that I love TIDAL and when I find something I want to listen to, then at least the compression/loudness wars are by-passed because you are not listening to ripped CDs and I am afraid that I can't do without CDs, but I can do without SACDs, just a fact of my circumstances (I do have plenty of hires files too). But circumventing the CD mastering bull-pit where an 'engineer' wants to make the CD release sound more 'commercial' or sound good in a car, that should be avoided at near all costs. TIDAL does that and when listening to 'M' tracks you should consider that to be a guarantee. At least I hope so.

So I asked around a number of TIIDAL users, where they had the CD and access to the same on TIDAL, which sound better. The general answer was TIDAL.

DRM I definitely don't like, but here is some give and take. Streaming music and the sheer access to music and finding new music. Read reviews where they talk about a track used to describe a piece of equipment, you can see if it is on TIDAL.

This is how I discovered "Bravo Brassivo" by Prague Bravisso brass band. And more. The Doors discography is 'M' and I wouldn't want to do without it.

I am a vinyl guy too and I can't do without vinyl too. I am allowed to have my vices :D

I've been trying a little agitprop on ASR. Professional courtesy enjoins other AES fellows from giving their true opinions on MQA, I don't care.

I wouldn't mind it if MQA were a sincere attempt at a technically improved lossy codec for streaming purposes. I guess the Pacific Microsonics patents expired? MQA feels like an idiot's version of HDCD.

It's a shame there wasn't more vocal pushback from the pro audio guys before it gained steam.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind it if MQA were a sincere attempt at a technically improved lossy codec for streaming purposes. I guess the Pacific Microsonics patents expired? MQA feels like an idiot's version of HDCD.

It's a shame there wasn't more vocal pushback from the pro audio guys before it gained steam.

IME, most Pro audio guys (studios) and likely even fewer of their clients (musicians) are even aware of MQA. Most studios that I know record at 48k/24.
I do have one client with a Pyramix system that usually records at higher SR's and actually even knows what DSD is!
At the other end of the spectrum, discussing a custom stereo ADC the question was asked if it would clip smoothly..... :confused::confused:

So next time you hear great songs that sound flat, compressed, basically horrible..... what can I say. :mad:

Hopefully great recording won't become a lost art.

TCD