The Black Hole......

Taxis in Amsterdam used Mercedes diesels doing 400k kilometers max.
Many switched to Teslas and suspected to have the same write off period.
But as it turned out, nothing had really worn at that point and batteries had lost less than 10% capacity, so the are now on a 800k schedule.
Can this be called a bad car with Kia quality ?

Hans

Tesla Model 3 Built Like A 1990s Kia, Says Engineering Firm

In the 70s most cars were rubbish in some way or another until the Japanese started to show the way. But in the 21st century no excuse.

I don't think anyone here will change your view but I also don't think you have much real experience with high volume manufacturing engineering and
how challenging it is. What might seem like a brilliant idea in theory from a design POV doesn't always translate to the factory floor. They learned that
the hard way.

WRT your M3 tear down link, Sandy Munroe has changed his tune after
tearing down the latest M Y and 3's. They still have occasional fit / finish issues but they appear to have that mostly sorted.

I think once Berlin & Texas are online and all models are using alloy castings on F / R with structural member battery packs it will be difficult to compete with them.

The proof is in the pudding so it will be interesting to see what the other manufacturers can pull out of their hats. The pressure is now on to drive cost
down and keep quality.

TCD

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I don't think anyone here will change your view but I also don't think you have much real experience with high volume manufacturing engineering and
how challenging it is.

Given you know sod all about me and my experience I will dismiss this as the usual forum response when someone wants to wind someone else up...

You are clearly a Tesla fanboy and seem to think no one else is pushing the boundaries of manufacturing. That's fine but I'm not going to hero worship them as they do not produce a product I am interested in.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
The latest Tesla changes are a bit disappointing. The non steering wheel is fine for a racetrack but boring in real world use. And no indicator stalks - again that concept wasn't broken, didn't need a fix.
They seem focussed on in-car gaming and forgetting the creature comforts at the same price points from other luxury cars - decent heated / cooled seats and wheel for example...
I have test driven 2019 cars - and the fit and finish is definitely not up to scratch either.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm more concerned about a platform not expected to last more than 6 years. Tesla Says Faulty Touchscreens Not Built to Last More Than 6 Years. It's an Apple like mindset on a device ( electric car) that could last 20 years. We all know what it's like to deal with obsolescent electronics. Electric transportation can have a really long practical service life. It would be offensive to junk a car because the motor control can't be fixed.

I'm more concerned about a platform not expected to last more than 6 years. Tesla Says Faulty Touchscreens Not Built to Last More Than 6 Years. It's an Apple like mindset on a device ( electric car) that could last 20 years. We all know what it's like to deal with obsolescent electronics. Electric transportation can have a really long practical service life. It would be offensive to junk a car because the motor control can't be fixed.

I think it's going to be a problem for the entire industry, although Tesla may be a worse offender early-on. I am guessing we will see EU legislation regarding this.

The latest Tesla changes are a bit disappointing. The non steering wheel is fine for a racetrack but boring in real world use. And no indicator stalks - again that concept wasn't broken, didn't need a fix.
They seem focussed on in-car gaming and forgetting the creature comforts at the same price points from other luxury cars - decent heated / cooled seats and wheel for example...
I have test driven 2019 cars - and the fit and finish is definitely not up to scratch either.

I agree, I currently am not going to buy a Tesla for a few reasons, this being one. Mostly, they don't produce a product that has the driving dynamics I want. The Model 3 Performance is exceptionally fast in a straight line, but it's soft and has poor body control compared to a BMW M3. The personality just isn't there yet. I also think they look rather frumpy and boring.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
@Dilbert: BL is alive and well in JLR who produce cars that are wonderful but you would be brave to own outside the warranty period.

The other half escaped that and became BMW mini. Can't say I've checked the quality reports on those but they seem to sell well to the yummy mummy crowd round here.

Mostly, they don't produce a product that has the driving dynamics I want. The Model 3 Performance is exceptionally fast in a straight line, but it's soft and has poor body control compared to a BMW M3. The personality just isn't there yet. I also think they look rather frumpy and boring.

I test drove several Tesla models, the driving experience is so-so, perhaps compensated by the warm feeling of helping "save the planet" (although, objectively, I am not convinced this is the case). It would not be much more expensive than my current BMW, but the major turn off (I guess it's the same for all Canadians) is the range: I would not dare to drive from Toronto to Montreal with one full charge (the long range model, expensive), so what to do? Stopping overnight at Kingston for charging? Planning each drive between major cities depending on the known locations of charging stations? What if I need to drive to NY (some 800Km, how do I minimize the total ride time?

These are, for me, good reasons to stay away from electric cars, until Superchargers are guaranteed at each and every gas station.

About autonomous cars, don't get me started :D.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Two people died in Atlanta yesterday believing in the self driving mode. Elon has little commitment to the driver monitoring tech. It's so similar to Apples arrogance. It will be a roadblock to future electric cars.

The stats are something like driving only 30 miles per day. The Fiat 500e would be a great fit for that. I may need to drive 200+ mile trips once a month. Not a great fit for anything electric that's affordable.

A society wide question revolves around car ownership and public transportation. Maybe there is a better way than owning vehicles with one passenger most of the time.

Idiots in autonomous cars are my second concern. My first concern is the Trolley Dilemma. I don't see anything in the technology that could avoid the possible consequences, and I am not about to sign my (and/or others) life in the fine print, to Mr. M. (or anybody else, for that matter).

But I am pretty confident autonomous (autopilot) cars won't pick up anywhere in the foreseeable future, at least without a complete re-shaping of the transport infrastructure to accommodate autonomous vehicles. Until, I am expecting that state/local entities may even ban these vehicles, if the **** continues to hit the fan at a higher rate.

Idiots in autonomous cars are my second concern. My first concern is the Trolley Dilemma. I don't see anything in the technology that could avoid the possible consequences, and I am not about to sign my (and/or others) life in the fine print, to Mr. M. (or anybody else, for that matter).

But I am pretty confident autonomous (autopilot) cars won't pick up anywhere in the foreseeable future, at least without a complete re-shaping of the transport infrastructure to accommodate autonomous vehicle. Until, I am expecting that state/local entities may even ban these vehicles, if the **** continues to hit the fan at a higher rate.

I just don't think they can get all the way there anytime soon. Getting complete autonomy to work in easy cases is one thing, but the corner cases and difficult situations...