TH-18 Flat to 35hz! (Xoc1's design)

Let's see more DIY and less cloning!
Art

Although everything has been discussed at length not many practical examples have been posted of the V type throat in a TH. Some have encouraged me to produce an outright replica of the DSL design without fully understanding the reasons behind the throat shape. I have done my best to develop some techniques to justify the throat shape using geometry.
In this way I hoped to be able to develop a throat shape that could be calculated from first principles for any comparable TH design by keen DIY builders.
Unfortunately as the proposed design has become more radical it also becomes more driver specific and people are trying to push the design to high power levels far above what I set up to achieve. My original goal was for a 1KW cab and that has been exceeded by quite a considerable amount.
Some builders are happy to try more throat compression as in the DSL cab but for other DIY builders this would probably be a disaster.
Its really difficult to know what would be the best way to proceed :eek:

Thanks (again) Martin!

What's the meaning of the note on each sheet?

SHEET #
CUT #, OFF FOR
PAIR OF CABS

Please excuse my ignorance

Also, it looks like you started to add pieces/cuts for a 2nd cab to the 3rd sheet of the 5x5's. One could keep that going by adding "bottom reflector," "internal 4," "reference 5," etc. I haven't confirmed this, but it looks like there's plenty of room.

The reasoning behind the notes was that 1 pair of cabs could be cut from 5 off 5' X 5' sheets, 2 off cut sheet 1 , 2 off cut sheet 2 and 1, off cut sheet 3.
Of course as more cabinets are added the yield per sheet can probably be improved.
The 8' X 4' cut sheets are 2 sheets per cabinet - but probably you could get 4 cabs from 7 sheets with a bit of planning. The possibilities are endless. Hopefully you have the tools now to optimise the cutting to suit yourself.
I'm no cabinet maker.:eek:

Unfortunately if I had the time I would like to learn this horn response, but working 12-14 hour days M-Sat I have 1 day to mess with the kids and maybe build a speaker or two on Sun. neoDan Pm'd me as these Faitals will work fine in this cab. But my curiousity is more on the suggested Faital Pro 15HP1030 and 1020 being the neo version as working great on TH18. I am just curious also as to how to build this as light as possible as at times I am a one man show at smaller parties. Can I use 15 mm BB, using 18 mm BB for braces, a neo 15HP1020? I am also curious as to the cone correction panel since I plan on using this 15" neo woofer. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Realistically you won't have the ability to push it very far beyond x-max, I had >350v and getting to +-18mm was about the limit for the 18SW115. As long as you have a proper high pass filter you will probably run out of voltage or thermal first.
Dan,

While breaking my BC18SW115-4 I ran them to Xmax (open air) at around 20 Hz with around 40 volts (or less)sine wave.

350 volts x 350 volts =122,500/8ohms=15,312.5 watts, 30,625 watts in to 4 ohms!

What amplifier has that potential, even momentarily?

Art

Last edited: