Texas Instruments TAS5261

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
A little update: I'm beginning to enter the parts order on Digi-Key. If anyone that is getting parts has a special request for something else they'd like from Digi-Key (especially those of you outside the states) let me know and I'll see if I can accomodate you. You will of course have to pay for anything extra you'd like.

Note: this offer is only for those who are already ordering something that I will be shipping to them.

There are also a very limited number of TAS5261 chips available from Digi-Key. If you'd like a kit I can order some and include the chip. The price for a parts kit with the 5261 chip will be $60.

If that changes anyone's mind please let me know as soon as possible because I'd like to put the order through tomorrow night.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Well, I put in the order, so sadly I can't accept any more special requests. I bet the credit card company will call and ask if this is indeed a valid purchase :D

The only thing I'm aggravated about is that I was charged sales tax on the order! I hadn't been charged sales tax before but all of the sudden it has been tacked on. It seems the only way to get out of it is to fill out some kind of exemption form which I don't know where to find or have time to do. Simply disgusting.

Hi Brian (BWRX)-I tried to email you but was informed that:

Sorry but you cannot currently send emails to other members because your account is under moderation. If you are a new user, you will gain full member status after you have made a few posts.

I saw an article about these chips in PC Magazine and fortunately found you (and diyAudio) soon thereafter. I would like to buy four kits with four 5261 chips, four PCBs, eight T106 cores, and eight wires. I will paypal the money to you as soon as you give me your paypal information and my total (for shipping purposes my zip is 21030). I assume that you are allowed to email me.

This is very gracious of you to do this-I can imagine what a pain it is to coordinate all of this. Thanks in advance.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Hi corazon. Unfortunately, I have only ordered enough boards and parts to fill the orders placed up till now. However, one person decreased their order and I am willing to let you have one of my kits, so the best I can do for you on such short notice is 2 complete kits. I've sent you an email with more details.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
When you're a newbie you could just post some off topic messages in the off topic forum until you are no longer under moderation. A neat trick you can also do is post then go back and delete it real quick and it still counts towards the ones needed to get out of moderation (at least I thought it did). Not that I ever did that though... :angel:

I called Digi-Key just now and they are sending me the form to fill out. They'll still charge my account but will refund it later. I'm only complaining about this because the sales tax came to $60!

Hi,
can any body explainme in few non technical words what's all this about?
I was looking for some info about these T amps for my fullrange speakers, and I discover a new world, since t amp landed once uppon a time...
knew :bigeyes:
Can any of you please give me a good recomendation apart from Super t amp, ready to play if possible. May be next time I'll get into DIY amps, but I've got enough witjh my speakers for now
cheers, bye ;)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Hi speaker. Currently, I have no more boards to offer because I only got enough to fill the initial demand. Since another person decreased their order I was able to give corazon two of the 4 complete kits he wanted, but I no longer have any more avalable.

Those that already paid are locked in and will be getting what they paid for, but it appears that a couple of those who haven't may be changing their mind.

Depending on what happens I may be willing to give up another one of my kits and combined with djsmith's kit (if he's willing to let someone else buy it) that would make two for you, speaker. Unless someone else backs out I won't have any more boards available.

Just to clarify, this design has not been tested to work, but I see no reason why it wouldn't. I will build up and test one board before sending out anything to you guys. If the board does not work then I will make the necessary corrections and reorder boards that do work. I don't anticipate any mistakes since I checked all the major connections a number of times, but I will not send out any faulty boards.

The parts have been shipped and are scheduled to be delivered next Tues 11/28. The boards wll hopefully arrive early the following week.

KOON3876 said:
Hi, Any plan for TAS5518 section?
(too hasty?)

Hi KOON,

you have TAS5518 already!

TAS5518%20002.jpg

Your diy work is VERY interesting. Please tell us about your system (your filter board, PS, display), and sound of your TAS5121.

TAS5518 would be our next step after fine tuning TAS5261. The boards designed by Brian are ready for an external chip.

Let me put here a link to your blog, too interesting :cool:

http://koon3876.blogspot.com/2006/11/tas5518-and-tas5121-8-channel.html

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
KOON3876 said:
Hi, Any plan for TAS5518 section?
(too hasty?)

Hi Koon. I don't plan to make one at the moment, but anyone else is welcome to if they want to because as thomas said my boards can accept external 0-3.3V PWM inputs. My boards are optimized for each indvidual chip, unlike yours which has 8 power chips on one large board! What's the max power per channel you've been able to get with that configuration? One thing I don't like is how you have the LC filters so far away from the output stage. The leads between the otuput stage and the inductors will handle the high current PWM pulses and will most likely emit a lot of RF crap. I know you did it because they take up a lot of space, but they should be as close to the output stage as you can get them.

thomaseliot said:
Please tell us about your system (your filter board, PS, display), and sound of your TAS5121.

I'm very interested in more specifics as well :cool:

good morning, thomas & BWRX

This board is just a prototype to research "my optimization".

Filter Board
I wanted to try ugry huge filter than TI's evaluation board, and result is SUPERB. I had another smaller filter board but it went to trush. Very different in Bass reproduction. next will have more large coil.
If 2 board are stacked, not so far from 5121 to filters. Of course next board will be single, optimized connection.

Power Supply
Just a LAB power supply. 0-18V, 3A. enough for me.
I ordered attached, instead of LAB PS.(using LM317 - FET Switch)
It will control 2V - 13V PSVC(0-15dB), from MCU.

Display
no display now but thinking to add LCD+6Key interface.

Sound
is of course GREAT. really impressive. at least better than single TacT S2150;)
Please imagine you have 3 way "ONE CHIP" multi, full digital amplifier system. crazy good S/N ratio and incredible fresh, short signal path.

Power per channel spec
100W/Ch, total 800W but too large for me. I only using 2W or so, by applying 3V - 6V arround.

Please remember that , for TI, PowerSupplyVoltage defines output spec first. If you apply 8V and 8ohm speaker, max is 4W.
If you apply 37V and you only want 8W, you need large dB digital attenuation.

Attachments

• lm317.jpg
    lm317.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 651
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.