Texas Instruments TAS5261

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Brian,

I'm in for two boards only. A friend of mine doesn't want them anymore, sorry.

I simulated your BOM on Digikey: it is $90,26 for two mono boards, excluding chips and toroids. But as Digikey has minimum quantities for most components (you have to buy multiple of 10 quantities) there will be some surplus components.

I calculated that on $90 there are $30 of surplus components. Then there are $20 for shipping to non U.S countries . Total "wasted" money is $50.

If you place a single order to digikey for all of us, surplus components will be few and shipping costs only $8. I'd like more to pay $20 for your work, than $50 for surplus components and US posts.

The labeling of components for each kit is not needed, just put all components in the pcb envelope without labels: only care that equal caps and resistors are in the same strip. With a simple multimeter we can easily label components ourself in 15 minutes.

If you and other members agree, fix a price for each set including your work, then we can paypal you the money before you place any order.

Ciao

Thomas

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Markus2006 said:
Just one question: what will be the payment method if people are from all over the world?
Do you have a paypal account? That's what I would prefer. If not I don't mind accepting personal checks or anything of a similar nature. In the past a few people have sent me money in an envelope :eek:

thomaseliot said:
I'm in for two boards only. A friend of mine doesn't want them anymore, sorry.
Not a problem at all.

thomaseliot said:
If you place a single order to digikey for all of us, surplus components will be few and shipping costs only $8. I'd like more to pay $20 for your work, than $50 for surplus components and US posts.
I knew someone thrifty would say this because I'm the exact same way. The problem is that this stuff takes more time to organize than you guys realize.

thomaseliot said:
If you and other members agree, fix a price for each set including your work, then we can paypal you the money before you place any order.
Let me think about this a little more.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Thank you for the help Thomas :) I've already got a similar spreadsheet where I enter minimum order quantities and prices and it selects the minimum quantity of each part I need to order for a set number of boards at the lowest price! I've used it before for other projects and it's quite nice. I didn't share it with everyone because it would have caused more confusion than help.

Parts for 20 boards from Digikey would come close to $1000 :eek: according to my spreadsheet. That's a pretty big order... and is part of the reason I didn't want to do this for everyone. That will of course include more than is needed for some components, but that's because it would be cheaper to order the larger quantity than the exact number needed.

Updated list (tentative):

4 BWRX
4 Solve
4 dmigo
4 Anthony2181
2 GeWa
2 thomaseliot
2 Markus2006
2 pinkmouse
? ericallan
? SmellofPoo
? FastEddy
? nando

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
I finally got a quote from the board house and if I order 30 boards the price per board (double sided silk screen, 2oz copper) will be $20. If there is enough interest for 50 or more the price per board would be $15. The quality of these boards will be very good so they're worth the little extra. Digikey should be getting stock of the TAS5261 chips in case anyone can't get samples and is interested.

I've decided that I will offer the parts with the boards (all the parts) for those who are interested. I know GeWa is. Anyone else? I can also sell the cores and wire separately. Please let me know by email through the forum, post here, or do both.

BWXR:

If there is some way to get a mostly assembled (partial or completed) kit from the boards, then I would gladly pony up the parts costs & assembly costs, as long as these are not too far outta whack, dollar wise. (I'm 60+ years old, and my eyes can't deal with those tiny little solder jobs any more.) I have two (2) of the TAS5261 chips ... showed up two days ago.

Trade?: If anyone needs the semiconductors or other parts, maybe I can make some trades with TI or a TI distributor = access to tools and parts I have. I also have UPS, FedEx and DHL shipping accounts that work internationally ... :)

(Other trade goods: I rummaged through the back rooms of http://www.halted.com/ this week and coped a hundred feet of "hundred strand" silver plated wire ~= to #12 AWG [7 bundles of unknown number of #30 AWG strands w/black poly covering] ... plus a whole bunch of gold plated binding posts. :D ... and my personal "supply rooms" = many scrap computers, old 'scopes, meters & generators from the '30's & '40's, mil spec. tubes, etc. ...)

:smash:

After reading the TI evaluation users guide (again) I notice that there are some fun and games to be played with a Windows machine attached through the TI TAS5518 (USB / SPDIF / 8-channel analog = http://focus.ti.com/lit/ug/slau193/slau193.pdf ). This board is (apparently) an evaluation module in and of itself that can act as pretty spiffy pre-amp & control of the TAS5261 ...

Is there provisions on the board for this addition?? Is it a "no brainer" to make such ?

(This is not a deal breaker for me as I have other outcome in mind = dual mono-block bi-amped speakers, for one.)

Nice, you could put there BOM xls file. One question about T106 core: while looking for it I found out that you still have to give more details - there are at least two different versions. One is made of material #2 (whatever that means), and the other of material #3. The first one has AL=13,5 uH/m2 and the other =45 uH/m2. Which one is the correct one?

Marek

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
It takes 2.5 feet of 18ga wire to get 18 turns on the T106 cores (with some air gap between windings). The finished inductor should look something like the attached photo. I'm changing the wire gauge from 16 to 18 because 18 is hard enough to wind and shouldn't make much difference over 16ga.

I believe Thomas had measured the inductance of his T106 MPP cores (permeability of 60) to be about 11uH with 13 turns of 16ga wire. It shouldn't be much different with 18ga wire.

Attachments

• dsc01776.jpg
    dsc01776.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 898
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Yep, 13 turns on those cores isn't hard to do. It is hard to keep the 16 and 18 ga wire flat to all sides of the core. At least you'll have a hard time breaking either the core or the wire if you pull really hard.

I also tried winding a core with 3 0.7mm diameter wires side by side. This tried my patience a little but it can be done and looks pretty cool. Don't know if it would sound any better than the single 18ga wire or not but the windings are much closer to the core all the way around.

Attachments

• dsc01777.jpg
    dsc01777.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 847
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.