Test LP group buy

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Pano's working on that we're hoping to stay in the $15 range by buying in quantity and selling at cost.
Yes, $15 is the target price with black and white printing and heavy vinyl. That should cover all costs and wastage. I can't see it every going over $20. Shipping will not be included in that, we'll have to work that one out. That's for a run of 200 LPs.

I'll look for two too. The vinyls should be sent in batch by courier (to save the need for pick up, custom clearance etc.) to each individual country (or region) if the volume is big enough and distribute through the hub to end users. You need volunteer in each hub to help on the last mile.

Hong Kong is low on postage to most Asian cities and a free port. I volunteer to distribute and can work out the postage to Asian cities if needed. Don't forget the cost of individual postal packing too.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Cool, thanks! I've been wondering how to get them worldwide. Hong Kong seems like a good place to distribute. The LPs will likely be pressed in Canada, so not sure how to apportion them.

Here in the USA, packing material will cost about $1 each mailing. Shipping costs could be high tho. :(

Joined 2002
Paid Member
When I change things (easily as much as we did Saturday) I hear virtually nothing. Plenty of pressure to go down the rabbit hole and start accumulating second hand stuff and start fussing myself. I might be better off not going there, what next glowing SET's? :)

Exotic line contact profiles and SETs are not on the same level of the masochistic scale.
At least with SETs you won’t have to make adjustments (*) with every disk you place on the platter

I am in for one or two only if shipped with normal mail. I had bitter experience when couriers were involved for import of goods from outside EU

George
(*) OK, you may put a “Damping factor adjust” knob on the front panel (wired for balancing a mix of NFB and PFB)

Anything valued over 22€ outside EU is subject to VAT and import takes in my country (Estonia). Within EU there's no problems, if there's to be some sort of distribution within EU it should happen in the country with least/no taxes involved with the country where things come from.
When courier companies are involved I will get even higher inconveniences due to their customs brokerage fees being really high (tens of € even) so I share the experiences of gpapag.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Could the record company (GZ Vinyl) transfer a certain number of copies internally to their plant in Czechia? Then it could be distributed from within the EU.
I'll ask, but it seems unlikely on their package deal that they would split the pressing. Actually I was surprised that they were planning to press them in Canada, I thought they would all be done in C.R. and then sent out from there.

It's a logistics thing we've got to work out. We don't want shipping to cost more than the disk.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
so I share the experiences of gpapag.

One of the stories:
In 2010 I had ordered two test LPs (oh, not that again!) from USA. Total cost (40+50)=90 USD.
After they received the money they shipped the 2.3 lbs parcel through FEDEX.
I received the courier's invoice through e-mail.
I had to make a bank transfer of 117.73 Euro to the courier for to release the parcel, even after some heated telephone exchanges.

George

Attachments

• tracking.PNG
    tracking.PNG
    37.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Copy of img034.jpg
    Copy of img034.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 130
Consensus seems to be that 2 alignment tracks are worthwhile:

400Hz/4kHz @+12dB 4:1 lateral (L=R)
400Hz/4kHz @-10dB 4:1 vertical (L-R=0)

45s each should do it. Radius not less than 10cm.

(?)

So what about wear tracks ?

Record wear: record wear lock groove 300Hz @+12dB

Might as well make 5 of them? Radius not less than 10cm

How about stylus wear ? Further to Bill's excellent point............. is it possible ? Leveraging the facts of wear that stylus sits lower, contact points are lower.....worth a discussion ?

Friction /stylus drag tracks ?

Long silent groove at outer radius >2min
300Hz@+6dB >2min

Vintage standard tracks:

100Hz @ 50um amplitude - VTF/compliance standard
Others ?

LF stability cart/arm resonance tests

Are these defined ?

Rotating vector test - 1000Hz +/-0.55Hz L,R

The sweep levels suggested previously are impossible BTW - suggest instead -54dB, - 48dB, -36dB, -24dB, -12dB. L, R, and mono. 20Hz to 50kHz (-54dB to -36dB) 20Hz to 30kHz (-24dB) 20Hz to 15kHz (-12dB) . Sweep timed to obtain flat FFT result when using RIAA playback.

Sweep amplitude of 100Hz triangle groove waveshape -54dB, -48dB, -36dB, -24dB, -12dB, 0dB, +12dB, +18dB. Curvature of triangular peak ?

Anything else ? Still quite a bit to do, but worthwhile I think.

LD

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ouch!

Looking at US Postal and FedEx UPS it looks like about $10-$12 to ship domestically. If they go via media mail, then about $3.50. Priority Mail could be $20. The main problem is that anything over 12" on a side is "oversize". LP mailers are generally 12.5x12.5x 1 inches.

I followed this thread earlier on and contacted: http://www.vinylexpress.biz/.
They ship/redistribute records WW with a smart system: grouped transport to cross oceans and then to final destination. Their trackrecord WW is 7.20 Euro average. I don't know how the numbers add up now?
If someone can give a guestimate per continent of the number of records and the expected source I can ask them the question for a price indication.
And they do the shipping and handling for you.

My 2cts
Michiel

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
For once! Something made in Canada, probably Toronto where I know we have some record pressing plants.

Mail is the way to go. The only way to reduce costs. I know that handling fees and clearing happens at $20, so they might have to go individually to members even if they order 3.

-Chris

No reason not to have seperate NA, Europe and other masterings/manufacturers......

The choice of mastering and production house is seriously important, BTW. The idea that one can just rock up with master tracks and get them transferred in the way we need is delusional............

That matters far more than the price per unit, and AFAIK isn't a solved problem.

......I'm happy to research the European one, I already know some mastering houses?

LD

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm sure that most of the larger pressing plants can produce the high quality we are looking for. Normally we Canadians get run through with clearing fees. It would be extremely nice to avoid that just once! But, I do agree that the quality of the pressing should be a primary importance.

-Chris