Test LP group buy

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I bought some chips from Canada and I had completely forgotten about purchasing them by the time I got them six months later. I have no idea where they got lost during most of that time. They were posted within days of purchase.

I have heard similar tales of things getting crushed in the regular mail even here in the U.S., although I don't think I have experienced it. I did get a severely warped record from Amazon once. (Someone in shipping actually bent the record to place it in a slightly too small box, not urban legend.. LOL) For a long time I avoided purchasing records from Amazon, these days no problems.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
......I'm happy to research the European one, I already know some mastering houses?
I'm in touch with GZ Vinyl in Prague, but thru their Canadian arm, since I'm in North America. The mastering would be done in Prague, the pressing in Canada. I already have a quote and am about to send a list of technical questions them.
FWIW, they are just finishing up a setup/test LP and the clients are very happy with it. That's all I know about that project. GZ also made test LPs back in the 70s.

I'm sure that most of the larger pressing plants can produce the high quality we are looking for.
Then there isn't a problem with record centre hole tolerance, which kick started the whole thing ?;) Actually we're probably looking for smaller houses that 'get-it' in terms of a special run and customisation to high tolerance and precise levels................

Fundamental is post production and mastering, and that just can't be standard in this case.........

LD

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Fundamental is post production and mastering, and that just can't be standard in this case.........
Understood, but unless we have an "in" with a a mastering house we have to go thru normal channels and ask the best question we can. Getting that special service could be difficult and $$$$. I'm trying to find out how to do that.

Maybe we can get Pavel to take the GZ Vinyl engineers out for a drink and plead our case. :drink::drink:

Joined 2014
Paid Member
That's why I'm curious to hear how your balanced Aurak project is doing ?

Hans
Well in the middle of 2 weeks off to burn unused leave as most of my team are taking half of december off. Jobs for SWMBO done in the house. Been hacking and shredding in the garden as well as filling up 2 new compost bins. But got time to mount a cheapy drill press so I can start drilling holes to put them in a box. But first I have to test. Reminds me should bring the scope inside to warm up ready for tomorrow.

I am rather looking forward to youngest one going to be at normal time and sleeping through the night as really limits time to do things!

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Anything else ? Still quite a bit to do, but worthwhile I think.

LD

I may have missed it, but did we discuss if there was any benefit in a pink noise track for quick FR measurements or is it more trouble than its worth?

I have been angsting over the bedding in concepts, but suspect unless you have something you did earlier we just know too little about it to even speculate so it should be left off unless Canis ex Machina appears.

Only thing I can't see that I can do with that is measure distortion for non-mono signals over frequency as there is no vertical sweep or single channel sweep. I probably again missed where this was pointed out to be unnecessary?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Here is a suggested track list from post #228

SIDE A
  1. 3150Hz Speed, wow+flutter
  2. 1kHz Reference level 5cm/sec, distortion, phase
  3. Left identification
  4. Right identification
  5. Signal in phase
  6. Signal out of phase
  7. Pink Noise (level?)
  8. White noise (level?)
  9. L+R
  10. L-R
  11. Rotating phase
  12. Crosstalk test
  13. Silent Groove for Rumble (maybe locked)
  14. Low frequency sweep for cart & arm resonance
SIDE B
  1. 440 Hz sine 0dB
  2. Square wave 1
  3. Square wave 2
  4. Full range sweep @5cm/sec
  5. Silent groove
  6. Full range sweep 24dB below reference
  7. same 18dB below reference
  8. same 12dB below reference
  9. same 6dB below reference
  10. same @ reference
  11. same 6dB above reference
  12. same 12dB above reference
  13. same 18db above reference
  14. VTA test
  15. Trackability test

Track order not definitive

I don't think the sweeps above reference value are possible because of high end clipping, so those spots are open

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's a question on my list. What's the amplitude limit at high frequencies?

Interestingly, if you put the average spectrum of most music thru a reverse RIAA filter it comes out flat(ish). In fact the average spectrum for hip-hop is almost the RIAA playback curve itself. Meaning that after the reverse RIAA used in mastering, the musical signal recorded to disc is basically flat. Since sweeps start flat, the top end would have to be cut very hot. White noise the same, so pink is probably safer.

I'm in touch with GZ Vinyl in Prague, but thru their Canadian arm, since I'm in North America. The mastering would be done in Prague, the pressing in Canada. I already have a quote and am about to send a list of technical questions them.

FWIW, they are just finishing up a setup/test LP and the clients are very happy with it. That's all I know about that project. GZ also made test LPs back in the 70s.

From my recollection Czech vinyl was considered in many circles to be the best there was.

I’m not sure if that’s still the case or if the Canadian plant would use the same raw materials.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Why are we trying to test the limits of tracking for cartridges anyway? There are test records out there that do that. I think our test signals should all be in the normal range encountered with real recorded music (and not the 1812 either!). If a cartridge doesn't track well, you already know this before running a test record. So this is a waste.

I would think that what we want to know are attributes for the turntable / cartridge as a system under normal circumstances.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I suppose I could ask. Worse they could say is no. :)

The initial quote is $1590 for 200 LPs in 140g vinyl with color printing. Going to B&W printing almost offsets the cost of the 180g upgrade. We'd be at $1620 that way. Cheap! Only $8.10 a record. But add on top of that shipping (est $185 to me in Florida), credit card fees, a percentage if we use a funding site like KickStarter to fund them, margin for returns and damages and unsold, and we're quickly up to about $12. I put the price at $15, as a safety margin. I don't know if, or how much, import duty there would be from Canada to the USA.

Shipping out is another matter. I'll ask if it's possible to press 100 in Canada, and 100 in Europe. Sunsun has offered to distribute in Asia.