Test CD for CD player adjustment

Measured the -7V +7V and 5V supply to the servo board. You are right they are rock stable so no problem there. (measured with an oscilloscope while the player was running) Lubricated very carefully the sledge guide when I had it apart. Will test further tomorrow. I have modified the player to be slaved from the clock sitting in my separate dac. The clock is transferred by fiber optic cable ST connection and glass fiber. No Toslink. Have a switch mounted inside the player so I can use either the internal x-tal or the one coming from the dac. As you may have noticed the internal dac in the player uses 45.1584 Mhz X-tal, but the transport and servo board runs on a 16.9344 Mhz x-tal. These two oscillators are synchronized with an 128fs signal coming from the dac chip and is injected into the 16.9 Mhz oscillator. Have no reason yet to suspect the clock being the culprit.

Maybe it is the controller?
I once had a Sony player that skipped slightly, independend of being cold or warm.
Found out that the controller for the players functions was defective.

My CDP-X5000 also sometimes does not move the the disc when the lid is closed.
I checked the switch under the lid and even heightened it a bit.
The switch and contacts are working. Still, the problem persists.
All the best, Sal

Microcontroller is the last thing I would suspect. After lubrication the player does not skip anymore when cold. I also notice that the movement of the disc and spindle motor during a seek function is completely different. Before lubrication, when doing a seek function it would seek and stop emmediately and start playing very often several seconds into the track. Now it stops and do some small adjustments before it starts playing. The sound from the player when jumping from track to track is totally different. Since there are brass bushings inside the plastic housing i took the chance and added very very tiny drops of bicycle chain oil. This oil is very sticky and probably not the correct one to use inside a plastic housing. (Does anybody in here have the knowledge of what would be the correct lubricant/grease?) This additive actually dampens the movement of the sled. Since this player is moving the whole disc and spindle motor instead of only the optical pickup, it has to move more weight and it seems to need more of a damping of the movement. I think we are into something here !!!!

Picture

22.jpg

Salar : If you need the schematic diagram (service manual) for this player I will gladly send it to you by E-mail. If you follow the open/close switch from the keyboard you will see that it ends up on pin 45 IC201 which has a pull up resistor 6.8K to 5V. When the lid switch is operated you pull this signal to ground. This signal also goes to the laser control IC1 M52104 pin 22. Shuts the laser down when you open the lid. You have to see that this signal is present all the way to the IC's.

DENON 2560GL servo adjustment.

Hi DMJ3000,
I don't use YEDS series discs, but often it isn't the audio track that is important. It is the defect or lack of defects that are the point of the track. A constant tone make it easier to hear errors in tracking.

For focus offset, any CD that is within spec. can be used to set focus offset. Philips 5 test disc is stated as a standard Redbook CD. I'm sure almost every test disc series has one. Denon used certain commercial pressings (music CD's) that they tested for this. They even had a correction for tracking and focus gains depending on the CD (CA-1094 was the old number). So as long as you know the CD is within spec., you can use it. Let's face it, a good pressing will be closer than nothing, but a bad one can sent you off on your setup.

-Chris

Anatech,

Thank you for your informaiton very much, I gonna to used a perfect music CD instead of a CA-1094 to adjust my Denon 2560GL after reading this post. But will the track numbers and the total time length of the CD do any influence to the adjustment result?

What is more, becasue I can only get the maintanence book of a DENON 2560G of which all the other parts is almost the same as DENON 2560GL except that the laser pickup is KSS-151A instead of the KSS-150A. So is it suitable to adjust my 2560GL by following the instrcution of a maintanence book of 2560G?

What exactly is sample 5 on Philips Test Disc 5/5A? I need it for a laser current check so I don't think that it has precise errors on it.
Is it the refelctivity that is important?
Does anyone have a table of contents for these Philips Test Discs?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Yes, it's the reflectivity that is important. Most commercial CD's are good. Just look at the RF for a few discs and you will see they are mostly the same. It's the odd one in a hundred that can be right down on reflectivity... it happens.

Depending on the player and pickup the best checks are just looking at the RF signal on a scope and if it's a pickup with a printed laser current on the label (such as Sony types KSS xxx etc) then that can be confirmed if needed.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Wich CD test will be the best to adjust laser pick-up Sanyo SF90?

Recently I changed the laser pick-up, some cds don't do the TOC others can't play 1st track, others stop music suddenly when playing, others can't play last or finals tracks, have I to adjust focus or have I to do something more?

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Any normal CD with a long playing time is good.

You need the service manual and a scope before attempting adjustment. Don't twiddle in hope and never alter the laser power preset on the pickup.

A check of the RF quality and amplitude is the first step.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You need to locate the "RF" test point. If you can determine the IC used for processing the laser signal then the data sheet for that IC will tell you where to measure.

The signal should be around 1.2 to 1.5 volts pk to pk at a guess (that's a common range) and will be the classic "eye pattern".