Tantalum Resistors...What's So Different ?.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not necessarily, that's a comparison of tantalum types to carbon (which are known for being very warm and muddy) - the tants are less warm than carbons but are definitely warmer than metal film types.

I found a good balance by using Shinkoh up stream & AB carbon on the next stage. I've tried Riken but overall AB sounds better in 2 watt versions.
Strange too that Shinkoh 2 watt sounds better than 1 watt.

Hi - I am new to the forum, and also looking at resistors for sound quality whilst swapping some out in my old audio research SP8......trying to locate a significant hiss on 1 channel and a small buzz on the other......
I would just get Shinkoh based on all the feedback from everyone on the forum of the sound, but alas they are not available in all values anymore.
My starting point is to see if the anode resistors (300k) are to blame and then I will move onto cathode and finally grid / thoughts welcome. The old 300k are wirewound US milspec, but not really available anymore and also slighly magnetic.

Thanks,

thanks for the tip. I have tried a complete set of valves and swapped a lot of these around. I have checked the power amp and it is 1 channel of the pre amp, completely irrespective of input selection or gain. Volume wheel turned to zero and selector switched rotated around it makes no difference. The circuit uses each valve to drive Left and right channel on each side of the dual triode (2x 12AX7 and 1x 6DJ8) for both the line and the phono. I have swapped one 300k anode on a 12AX7 on the problem channel and as you assume it made no difference at all.
It may not be related but another strange thing that does not feel right is touching the glass of the first 12AX7 creates a buzz, which reduces if I also touch the chassis. All other valves are inert to any touch....weird.

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.