Tannoy crossovers

It's a 2 way.
Yes, yes it is. I should have said 1 driver. As in single driver system. You know, the way 99% of vintage Tannoy speakers came?
Using the single, 2 way driver.
I am not and have not been talking about making multi way FrankenTannoy speakers itt. Not that there is a thing wrong with that. It’s just not what I am talking about at all. I think you’re aware of what I’m talking about at this point.
Feel free to check my post for any/all mistakes.
Hi Treyphan,
I am happy to have a like minded for HPD 315!
Are you interested in the topic of very good Step Response for
that Tannoy ?
Always! I’m always interested in discussing crossover or circuit changes. Provided the reason for said changes is included. Along with what exactly has been changed.
If it follows electrical and crossover theory and makes sense, I’ll probably give it a whirl.
Gonna check the link you out that you posted now.
Thanks!

Yes, yes it is. I should have said 1 driver. As in single driver system. You know, the way 99% of vintage Tannoy speakers came?
Using the single, 2 way driver.
I am not and have not been talking about making multi way FrankenTannoy speakers itt.
FrankenTannoy?
Like the fantastic Buckingham Monitor, FSM, System 215DMT or the legendary Dreadnought?
Arguably the finest speakers Tannoy ever made.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes it is a mater of preference.

Thank you for the link Step Response, i'll study your description of Trifonov approach. I think i remember seen it in Vituix cad as a possible filter strategy option.
Honest, yes i try to be under all circumstances.
Brave i don't get it... i just don't want you to spend time on something i won't use in the end. Maybe you find brave to be honest? If that is what you meant i find it weird but... maybe i'm naive.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Let's clarify. I'm not a fan of multi way with Tannoy. The real legendary old Tannoy - one coaxial and HPD 315A - only! Not the new Cheviot!!

Hi, Step Response i get some have preferences for a reference over another one ( for bad or good reasons) but all the 'Classic' Tannoy drivers i've met were beaten to death ( i'm a former studio technician).

What do you dislike about multiway implementation with Tannoy drivers?

Thanks for the very right question.
Not only Tannoy but many others have wrong (dead) designs due to lack of knowledge!. The mistakes are mostly in the Time Domain,
the bass baffle, general configuration or a modest budget.
Last but not least, inappropriate drivers and crossover frequencies.
Single driver (full range) is not enough, but more than a three-way box is bad - if no "help" from a very good DSP!
When analyzing high-quality components, we should consider a specific model with its engineering conseption - if possible.
There are too few suitable drivers for three-way and even fewer for two-way.
About three ways with the Tannoy.
Dual concentric to be five or six inches. Suitable bass - 10", 12" or 15" ......?
A must with DSP for all crossovers. Ok - why not...if you get a good Step Response?