Taking a MANGER MSW apart

I am looking for this test review in German:
Exoten unter sich: Manger Zerobox 105 und E.J. Jordan Exponentialhorn

published in the magazine Klang & Ton from April 1994.

In the attached images the TOC so as the cover of this edition.
Maybe one of the member can upload this - thank you very much.

P.S.: here are various threads concerning this driver, filed in different category
Manger
[(re)Build] Manger based system
MANGER driver
Manger project
Manger open baffle mounting techniques
Lowther vs Manger
Desing oriented speaker with Manger
Manger MSW and Eton 11-581/50 HEX Plans
Manger MSW & Moongel
Manger MSW Bending Wave Driver

Attachments

• Klang & Ton 4-94.jpg
    Klang & Ton 4-94.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 340
  • Klang & Ton 4-94-II.jpg
    Klang & Ton 4-94-II.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
The ultimate Manger system

6moons audio reviews: Overkill Audio Encore Speaker System
The Overkill Audio company spent years refining a state of the art fully active three way DSP based system around the Manger driver.
I heard the system at The Show in Las Vegas and it was amazing easily the most natural and believable music and vocals... But soooo expensive!
I also heard his London show demo system and spent ages chatting with the designer. One of the key points was using a 300Hz to 400Hz crossover with steep linear phase DSP crossovers... He said passive crossovers and or low cross over points destroy the magic of the Manger driver.
Interesting stuff all in all.

Hallo alex

Manger im Overkill

nun ich habe den Testbericht gelesen und da wird von dem sehr hohen aufwand der Gehäusekonstruktion gesprochen. Auch die Elektronik wird da ausführlich analysiert. Sehr teuer ist das ganze auf jedenfall!
Was die meisten nicht wissen, das die Firma manger, schon 1991 die zerobox, mit Kopfteil für die msw, mit grossem aufwand baute. Der Kopfteil ist ja nicht besonders gross, aber schon damals hatte dieser eine mdf Wandstärke von 4.5 cm und zusätzlich massive Verstrebungen! Auch die bedämpfung wurde mit verschiedenen hochwertigen hightech Materialien ausgestattet.
Später kam noch ein holoprofil dazu. Dieses kümmert sich um die kammfilterefekte und ist ein muss für beste wiedergabe. Overkill scheint darauf zu verzichten, was meiner Meinung nach nicht gerade für Overkill spricht?

Interessant wäre wenn du dein hörerlebniss mit den heutigen aktiven manger Lautsprechern vergleichen könntest. Die Firma manger sollte nicht unterschätzt werden, das sind echte kraks.
Die haben nicht umsonst 20 Jahre Entwicklungszeit in den msw investiert.
Auf jedenfall sind die aktiven eher bezahlbar. Sind sie gar besser als Overkill?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hello Alex

Manger in overkill

now i have read the test report and there is talk of the very high cost of the housing construction. The electronics are also analyzed in detail. The whole thing is very expensive in any case!
What most do not know is that the manger company, as early as 1991, built the zerobox with a headboard for the MSW with great effort. The headboard is not particularly large, but even then it had an MDF wall thickness of 4.5 cm and additional massive struts! The cushioning was also equipped with various high-quality high-tech materials.
A holoprofile was added later. This takes care of the comb filter effects and is a must for the best reproduction. Overkill seems to be doing without, which in my opinion is not exactly what speaks for overkill?

It would be interesting if you could compare your listening experience with today's active manger speakers. The company manger should not be underestimated, these are real kraks.
It was not for nothing that they invested 20 years of development time in the msw.
In any case, the active ones are more affordable. Are they even better than overkill?

English please.

dave :cop:
siyAudio moderation team

I have my units back, fully refurbished, bought 2 Hypex PSC2.400 and 2 Scan Speak 25W-8565 woofers.
Now I have to find time to make cabinets and start building.
Already spend more then € 2000 on parts but compared to the prices of Overkill or an active Manger still a bargain.
Thanks to all who posted here, it gained me a lot of knowledge.

Kind regards,

Willem.

Manger ZERO-Box 105 vs. Jordan Expo JX92

I am looking for this test review in German:
Exoten unter sich: Manger Zerobox 105 und E.J. Jordan Exponentialhorn

published in the magazine Klang & Ton from April 1994.

In the attached images the TOC so as the cover of this edition.
Maybe one of the member can upload this - thank you very much.

P.S.: here are various threads concerning this driver, filed in different category
Manger
[(re)Build] Manger based system
MANGER driver
Manger project
Manger open baffle mounting techniques
Lowther vs Manger
Desing oriented speaker with Manger
Manger MSW and Eton 11-581/50 HEX Plans
Manger MSW & Moongel
Manger MSW Bending Wave Driver
I have now receive this 27 years old test review as PDF - thank you very much. Clearly to note are the issues in the cumulative decay spectrum around 700-900Hz. This is the reason, because I don't like this full range transducer regarding the sonic character, particularly at the reproduction of voices and piano.

Attachments

• 6Klang+Ton-1994-4.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 139
  • 7Klang+Ton-1994-4.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 99
  • 8Klang+Ton-1994-4.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 175
  • 10Klang+Ton-1994-4.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 130
  • 16Klang+Ton-1994-4.pdf
    474 KB · Views: 138
  • 15Klang+Ton-1994-4.pdf
    622.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 14Klang+Ton-1994-4.pdf
    627.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 12Klang+Ton-1994-4.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 135
  • 11Klang+Ton-1994-4.pdf
    752 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
I should be one of the few here in the forum who could compare the manager with many other broadband bands. you have to hear the manager for a while to judge him. please no measurement results for any explanations. a bending wave loudspeaker is special. the eternal manger dispute gets on my nerves. I was able to enjoy it for 30 years. unfortunately with several repairs due to overload. hifi magazines are not to be taken seriously. today I hear my self-made bending wave loudspeaker. regards

I should be one of the few here in the forum who could compare the manager with many other broadband bands. you have to hear the manager for a while to judge him. please no measurement results for any explanations. a bending wave loudspeaker is special. the eternal manger dispute gets on my nerves. I was able to enjoy it for 30 years. unfortunately with several repairs due to overload. hifi magazines are not to be taken seriously. today I hear my self-made bending wave loudspeaker. regards

Thar's why I am in the process of building them, want to experience it and that does cost money, but that's life in general IMHO.

The MSW is great because it does not cause any listener fatigue. What I did not like is the poor dispersion. I was a total convert when I first heard a speaker that was designed with controlled directivity (CD) in mind.