TABAQ TL for Tangband

I've been a long time lurker and I'm pretty sure I'm registered on diymobile. Both this forum and diym, among others helped me immensely gain greater understanding of crossovers, tuning and building.

This design is so perfect for where I have come to on my audio journey. I dig simple and utilitarian nowadays. Although my 3 way active w/C-DSP in my DD was worth all the effort for where it has come to so far. In my home I prefer simple, small if possible, and as effective as it is unassuming. This seems to check the boxes for me. Ty Bjorn and others.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been really digging deep in all the variations and different drivers. This spawned the question as why many of the recommended and popular drivers are all the 8 ohm versions? Is it just because of common power amplifiers many use?

I'm newish to home audio but have pro audio and lots of car audio background. There is minimal difference as far as sensitivity and q specs in the few I have looked at.

no worries using either 8 or 4 Ohms drivers.

Actually, a lot of the tiny class D boards prefer 4 Ohms, if you are into those. I tried a lot, but they can't hold a candle to a nicely designed amp... no need to spend a fortune to better them. They lack grunt and imaging, mostly. But for background music, they will do fine.

Thank you Perceval. I only have experience w/chip amps and AVRs so I have no idea what 'typical' hifi amps have for specs.

One other question, is hornresp a viable or even proper tool for modeling? I learned to navigate it with tapped horns but TABAQ is pretty much the polar opposite in every way. Identifying the segments is different since the transitions (mouth/port area) are abrupt (if that makes sense)
EDIT- I believe my problem is choosing the proper alignment name since I have to do it in 5 segments rather than 4. I'll keep digging through the help file.

Last edited:
Sure, HornResp is great for this and so many other designs.

I made a template of the TABAQ in there, so it is a starting point when I find other drivers and I tweak from there.

Have a look, hmmm. that looks like a tweaked version. I guess I should redo the template that was overwritten. Still gives you a headstart.

Screen Shot 2023-03-18 at 6.48.56 PM.png

That is extremely helpful and reassuring that I was going about it right. I had to do a 0.01 L value for the transition into the vent/mouth to make it 'assemble' correctly. I can find the tweaks and work it from here I believe.

I may be back for help or a second set of experienced eyes in the near future though. Thanks again!

Not if you specify stepped segments. That way you also have a spare segment to play with :).
Awesome! I've been going through the help file while trying not to get in any rabbit holes. I know nothing of many of the alignments listed and would rather not any new projects right now!
I've found Hornresp very versatile and in all honesty easier and more intuitive to use/navigate than WinIsd. Different tools for different jobs and luckily I like horns and TLs apparently.

I'm nearing completion of my W4 TABAQs and had a question that I may already know the answer to. If I have standard grille mesh covering the port, does it just create slight loading effect? My grille frame should be low profile enough and away from the mouth enough (appox. 6mm) to not extend it in any meaningful amount.

The mesh is where I have no idea, I have never used grille mesh in anything but OEM commercial units.

Hi Bjorn. Hope you are still around. Would it be possible to run a sim for this relatively new Faital Pro 4FE42 8 Ohm driver please? Specs attached. The Qts looks about right.

I have been running 4FE32 drivers in my TABAQs for more than 2 years now and I’ve been more than happy with them. But disaster struck when one of my amps misbehaved this weekend. Something popped on one channel and it blew my one driver. Would be great to know if the 4FE42 drivers might bring something new to the TABAQ?

Attachments

• 4FE42_datasheet_8.pdf
    217.1 KB · Views: 82
Bjørn can confirm later with his version, but having plugged in the 4FE42 quickly into my template, I think you should stay with the 4FE32 instead.
The knee is not as clean on the 42, and will make the ripples going up in frequencies fell worse.
I also reduced the port length considerably... I didn't like the shape with using the original 9cm port. The 4.7cm looks a lot better.
Room acoustics will help lift the couple of dBs lower around the knee.
So, I would just get another 32 version to replace the blown one.

4fe42.png

4fe32.png

That might be the TABAQ large, but it would need to be confirmed.
Theres not much point in trying to sim them as they are some variations between the advertised and real world specs.

If you get a pair and measure them, we could see.
The TABAQ large is quite bigger than the original design though, as expected.

Long ago, when I was building TABAQs I did a revised or maybe 'second gereration' page about it.
In re-reading more recent parts of the thread it occurred to me that I didn't post about that.
Here'tiz: https://quicksimplecheapdecent.blogspot.com/2016/06/qscdng.html
and the first (ultra low cost/simple) version is still there too.
Might still be useful, since as far as I know physics hasn't been repealed. ;-)

Reactions: 1 users
@revisorn – thank you for sharing your modified TABAQ plans. I like the innovative changes (port placement, driver off set, BSC, and the tilting) you made. Would love to compare them to a standard TABAQ.

I have also played around with tilting my TABAQs backwards - currently at about 5 degrees. I based this on the Frugal Horns that I built prior to the TABAQ and I like the effect. For me it also lifts the soundstage slightly higher.

How did you decide upon the values of the BSC circuit components - by trail and listening?