TABAQ TL for Tangband

Made a quick CAD drawing (seen from above) of a folded stereo Tabaq to be used as soundbar. I am thinking of making it in 9mm plywood (since I can get ahold of it cheap here) and Peerless 830987

What do you think, would this work? :)

soundbar-tabaq2.png

soundbar-tabaq2 — ImgBB

Last edited:
I'm smackin' this thread on the head to unfreeze it.
Good idea fella!
Most of the comments and feedback about new kit and newly built kit come from those first few weeks of ownership where the change is still a novelty. The real test is perhaps a year down the line when the novelty has worn off. Well, I've been using my TABAQ with PLS-P830987 for over a year now and still rate them as the best speaker that I have ever made or probably heard. It might be a vague term but they are just so 'musical', I forget that I am listening to 'hifi' and just enjoy the music (which is what we all want right?). Anyone new to this thread needs to know that they are such a simple and cheap build but the results are stunning!!

I've been using my TABAQ with PLS-P830987 for over a year now and still rate them as the best speaker that I have ever made or probably heard. It might be a vague term but they are just so 'musical', I forget that I am listening to 'hifi' and just enjoy the music (which is what we all want right?). Anyone new to this thread needs to know that they are such a simple and cheap build but the results are stunning!!
Eye Eye Captain. I have 3 friends running Tabaqs with the P830987 drivers and they simply looove their speakers. Just this past weekend one of them asked me to source a pair of P830987 drivers – he wants to build another pair of Tabaqs, perhaps folded ones this time.
I looove my own Tabaqs too, with the 4FE32 drivers!

Hi Guys,

Short update on the TABAQ's I've build. Changed the filter to the original version as @Bjohannesen suggested and I really love the sound.

But now the million dollar question:
After so many builds and calculations, different drivers 3", 4" etc. Can we come to the "golden TABAQ"? With the ultimate size, material, driver and filter. Or is it impossible to answer?
@Bjohannesen, I think you might be one of the people who has the most experience on the TABAQ quest. Do you have any suggestions?

Love to read your replies guys!
Cheers,
Raymond

Trouble is that there is not one driver that will satisfy everyone.
Some like more bass, some like more high end.
What I like might not be what you like.

There is no one-design solution.

So, it's better to choose according to your own taste in music reproduction.
There are plenty of drivers that have been used in this thread.
Each with their set of strengths. Just pick the one that you will like better.

I am thinking of hiving this a go.

Will the Tang Band W4-1320SJ (€85) work well in this, and is it worth the extra money over the Tang Band W4-1320SIF (€65)

What other alternatives would you recommend in their price range?

I have read that the Faital Pro 4FE32 - 4" 30W 8 Ohm is a good one to try and is much cheaper.

Would they need the 2020 version speaker plans or the original?

Thanks

Last edited:
For a 4" driver, you will want to follow the original plans and vent sizing.

I have not tried the drivers you mentioned. One is ferrite, one is neodymium. Does it make a big difference? I don't know.

I myself built one set with the W4-1052SD. It needs a notch (I'd say almost all the TB drivers need a notch) and then, it sounds very nice.

Thanks for your replies. I think I will try the 4FE32 8Ohm speakers for the project.

Thiele and small parameters

Fs - 100 Hz
Re - 6.5 Ohm
Qes - 0.70
Qms - 4.9
Qts - 0.60
Vas - 2 l (0.07 ft^3)
Sd - 48 cm^2 (7.44 in^2)
Xmax (4) - 2.73 mm
Xdamage (5) - 6.8 mm
Mms - 4.2 g
Bl - 4.8 N/A
Le - 0.18 mH
Mmd - 3.9 g
Cms - 0.60 mm/N
Rms - 0.5 Kg/s
Eta Zero - 0.25 %
EBP - 143 Hz

Would the following inductor be suitable?
Audio Crossover Air Cored Inductor 1.10mH 0.90mm wire from Convair Electronics PS5.94
ACM036.jpg

This is what it says

Audio Crossover Air Cored Inductor 1.10mH 0.90mm wire

► Made in the UK
► Air cored
► Wire diameter: 0.9mm
► Inductance: 1.1mH (±3%)
► Overall Diameter: 50mm
► Height: 29mm
► DC Resistance: 0.8Ω
► Program Power: ≈ 500W *

'These inductors are manufactured in the UK from high quality copper wire, and measured individually to ensure a close match to specifications. Designed for use with Convair DIY Crossover PCBs and available in a range of values to suit standard crossover configurations. PCBs 9002 and 9003 are predrilled to accept the wires from the inductors, for direct soldering onto the PCB.

The inductors come in three sizes, large (70mm Outside Diameter), Medium (50mm Outside Diameter) and small (38mm Outside Diameter).

The larger inductors are intended for low pass filters and the low pass section of a 2-way crossover. Larger inductors are usually made with 1.25mm or 1.4mm enamelled copper wire to ensure high power handling, although we do have some 0.9mm options for low-medium power applications.

The smaller inductors are intended for high pass filters and the high pass section of a 2-way crossover. The small inductors are typically made with 0.9mm diameter wire, this is sufficient In normal applications as the power handling requirements are much lower in high pass filters, particularly at higher frequencies. For values above 0.4mH, smaller diameter wire (0.5mm or 0.75mm) is used, and these inductors are only suitable for lower power applications.'

If they are suitable would I order the smaller inductor?

Another alternative is one made by Monacor which costs slightly more
Monacor 1.0mH Air Core Coil/Inductor 100W
MON124780_1.jpg

Monacor :: Monacor LSIP-100/2 PS6.58

Inductance 1.0mH
Enam. copper wire
(Ø CUL)
0.85mm
Power rating
(RMS)
100W
DC resistance 0.7Ω
Dimensions 48x19mm

Also what value resistor should I order with this for the 4FE32?

I can get the wood supplied and cut in the UK via Wood Sheets Cut To Size | Boards & Panels Made To Measure

I was going to order 15mm birch ply or I could go with 18mm. Any advice on this would be welcome and also are the measurements the same for the cabinet?

Thanks

Lee

Last edited:
15mm ply is fine.

The BSC with 1mH and a resistor is a starting point. Each driver will have little different performance so it’s up to you to like it or not, and to adjust accordingly.

The Faitals are quite strong up high, so, I would get a choice of resistors, maybe 5,8 and 10 Ohms and decide which one sounds best for you.

15mm ply is fine.

The BSC with 1mH and a resistor is a starting point. Each driver will have little different performance so it’s up to you to like it or not, and to adjust accordingly.

The Faitals are quite strong up high, so, I would get a choice of resistors, maybe 5,8 and 10 Ohms and decide which one sounds best for you.

Thanks,
Which wattage rating do I need to buy for the resistors? The higher ratings tend to be cement type high powered resistors which I have read have a negative impact on the sound.
Thanks

Thanks for your replies. I think I will try the 4FE32 8Ohm speakers for the project.

Would the following inductor be suitable?

If they are suitable would I order the smaller inductor?

Also what value resistor should I order with this for the 4FE32?

I can get the wood supplied and cut in the UK via Wood Sheets Cut To Size | Boards & Panels Made To Measure

I was going to order 15mm birch ply or I could go with 18mm. Any advice on this would be welcome and also are the measurements the same for the cabinet?

Thanks

Lee
Hi Lee. Some pointers from my experience.

Those 1.10mH 0.90mm wire inductors should work well. The medium or small sizes are fine. As perceval pointed out – the 4FE32 drivers do have a harsh top end that needs to be tamed. They require a good number of hours (2 months in my case) break-in time also. I tried a few resistors but in the end, I settled for 8.2 ohm with 1 mH inductors. Yes, 10W resistors are good like the ones perceval posted. Mine are the white cement ones.

15mm birch is perfect. No need for 18mm. It is important to note that all the plans and dimensions given here assumes 12mm material. It is important to maintain the inside dimensions (volume and cross-sectional area) of this (almost all) speaker design. Therefore, your cutting list dimensions will have to be adjusted for the extra 3mm thickness of your birch wood. I used Plan B in post #1651 (Page 166). Furthermore, I increased the baffle width with another 4mm to 104mm, because the 4FE32 basket is actually 100.5mm wide – 0.5mm wider than the suggested baffle width. This small increase is negligible and will not affect the performance. PM me if you want my cutting list for 15mm birch.

I fitted my drivers on the front of the baffle and went to great lengths to make speaker grills for hiding the ugly driver baskets and to flush mount with the baffle. But I would suggest to consider rather mounting the drivers on the inside of the baffle – that is what I would do if I had to build this again. The 4FE32 drivers are designed to be mounted on the inside. When mounting on the inside you don’t give the driver cutout a 45 degree chamfer on the inside. Just give the outside edge of the cutout a good round over, which acts almost like a small wave guide. Saw this on other threads like wesayso’s The making of: The Two Towers. But mounting on the inside does pose another challenge – how to assemble the box and which panel to fit (screw/glue) last after fitting the drivers requires some careful planning.

Hope this helps, but please ask if you need more answers. Good luck with the build and keep us posted.

Last edited: