TABAQ TL for Tangband

Kvart & Bolge

q77 - and others :)

Unfortunately, the production of K&B speakers is on hold.

They were assembled in Mexico and we had major problems with custom. Too often the speakers where broke when they arrived at the customer. The custom where probably looking for drugs in the ”tube”. My own pair where not assembled correctly, but I manged to fix this.

We are looking for partner with resources to bring us further. I live in Denmark, which has several good loudspeaker companies, and even though a few has shown interest, we are still on hold.

And yes, they sound amazing :)

PS: Kvart and Bølge means quarter and wave in Scandinavia.

Hi from
Bjørn

Thank you perceval and twocents for answers.

And mange takk Bjohannesen for that information. Sounds like that was a handful. Hope you find new partner.

In my head, I have continued on with my ideas of TABAQ with curved sides. Before doing actual drawings, I need to decide on driver. So which one is "the best"? :) Matter of taste and so on, I know. But what seem to be the most popular?

I don't like that silver cone on the driver used in the original design and I would prefer something with round frame. I have a very wide taste in music, so can't really give a preference in sound with regard to genre. I'm curious on the W3-2141, but there are many options...

Hello,

Just need some clarification on the TABAQ drawing that I have attached. Idea is to make a TABAQ with a total length of 842 mm. Total length is divided in two segments: 128cm2 @ 770 mm and 16cm2 @ 72 mm. Now straight to the question. Does bends in the path length changes the path length of the TABAQ? Is there any improvement in making them?

Attachments

• TABAQ.jpg
    TABAQ.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 388
Hello,

Just need some clarification on the TABAQ drawing that I have attached. Idea is to make a TABAQ with a total length of 842 mm. Total length is divided in two segments: 128cm2 @ 770 mm and 16cm2 @ 72 mm. Now straight to the question. Does bends in the path length changes the path length of the TABAQ? Is there any improvement in making them?

There is a consensus, that the line length is measured in its center axis, then the length is exactly the same and the overall internal volume is the same. But those rounding corners are not needed and may be even worse for the sound. As the internets say (actually most of the info is in the forums, like this one...), the bends do change the sound, but in my opinion it is not quite possible to build the same speaker with the same front baffle, vent placing and still have different bends to measure. The only exception is probably to build the same wide-ish baffle and different bends, but I haven't heard about such experiment.

Offtopic: As I already asked in another thread and wise minds answered, it may be better to make port closer to the speaker and in the same plane. In my personal opinion rear vented ports are good if you want to boost the bass from the wall/corner in the back, but I have found with my tin ears the quality of such boosts in most cases is terrible, as a bonus you need much more space even for small speakers. What top vent will give in your room conditions I have no idea.

There is a consensus, that the line length is measured in its center axis, then the length is exactly the same and the overall internal volume is the same. But those rounding corners are not needed and may be even worse for the sound. As the internets say (actually most of the info is in the forums, like this one...), the bends do change the sound, but in my opinion it is not quite possible to build the same speaker with the same front baffle, vent placing and still have different bends to measure. The only exception is probably to build the same wide-ish baffle and different bends, but I haven't heard about such experiment.

+1

I measured along the centre line of the line, with square corners, and this makes the overall volume identical to a straight line. See my method attached.

Check the way I folded my TABAQ, also attached. BTW this is a slightly different CSA and length specifically for the smaller, higher Fs FaitalPro 3FE2, you would have to tweak it to the standard line and port length, but I found it made a nice form factor, with the port on the bottom of the front baffle.

Attachments

• line length measurement.jpg
    line length measurement.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 369
  • front port folded.PDF
    17.2 KB · Views: 136
Hello,

You've had your answers, me, I'll just add a couple of things....

Don't put 45 deg corners along the line. It looks cute, and it seems a good idea when you look at it, but the only thing it helps is getting the higher frequencies out the port... which is something you definitively don't want.

Keep the corners square... it will help kill those unwanted frequencies.

The other thing with your design is a visual one.. well, at least for me.
The driver will be weirdly placed on that front baffle, and the OCD side of my personality would find that aggravating! :)

The way luigiman designed his folding appeals to that side of my personality better! :)

Just a quick post with the final version of my TABAQ...

The painting quality wasn't good, so I used some sticky plastic with wood effect to finish them.

I'm 70% satisfied with the result. The sound is great as anticipated in my previous post.

Thanks everybody for the help :worship:

Attachments

• IMG_20200619_194333_compress89.jpg
    IMG_20200619_194333_compress89.jpg
    854.7 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_20200619_194308_compress59.jpg
    IMG_20200619_194308_compress59.jpg
    611.6 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_20200619_194421_compress86.jpg
    IMG_20200619_194421_compress86.jpg
    969.5 KB · Views: 214
Thanks for advice. I have attached updated version of the folded TABAQ.

Line length is 77cm, the original was 78cm if I am correct. Speaker center is 20,4cm from line end, the original was 26cm. In my Hornresp simulation I chose 19,3cm, I think it will work well anyway. It remains a question if human ear can hear the differences in real world listening.

It looks ok for me. The only suggestion from my side to go with variable vent tube...

Just a quick post with the final version of my TABAQ...

The painting quality wasn't good, so I used some sticky plastic with wood effect to finish them.

I'm 70% satisfied with the result. The sound is great as anticipated in my previous post.

Thanks everybody for the help :worship:

Looks professional and nice, as most Italian made things. Btw, do you have photos of the back side?