TABAQ TL for Tangband

Port lenght for different area?

Hi,

I have built couple prototypes of folded Tabaq, but with different port size.
Well, its is not pure "Tabaq" anymore, but can someone run a sim to define port size for 10.2 sq cm port area.

Drivers are Dayton PS95-8 and RS100-8, other dimensions are the same.

Thank you!

I have enclosed simulation of W5 2143 - which look very promising.

Have fun!

Regards
Bjørn

Hi guys, can somebody help translating this (simulation of W5 2143) to the measures of a cabinet 85 cm tall?

This has been suggested for my first build, but take into account that you are talking to a complete novice (I don't have a clue about the theory behind it or whatsoever, just willing to try) :D

Hi guys, can somebody help translating this (simulation of W5 2143) to the measures of a cabinet 85 cm tall?

This has been suggested for my first build, but take into account that you are talking to a complete novice (I don't have a clue about the theory behind it or whatsoever, just willing to try) :D

The geometry of the Tabaq is line 39" or 99.06cm this is how long the TL must be then the inside size must be 207 square cm, so is up to you decide what size front,back and side pannel has to be, in my case I design the Tabaq using 16mm play wood with inside size of 13.5cm x 15.35cm= 207.225 sq.cm, the outside measure depends how tick the wood you will use will be.
The port should be on the bottom as extension of the TL, 5" long (12.7cm) and 28 sq.cm, here again you can design any size of the port as long you respect the port specification.....all the best

After following the TABAQ project online for the best part of a decade or so, I have finally been enjoying a pair of them on either side of my TV for roughly the past 2 years.

My question is, what are 'the best' drivers for the TABAQ? My current (fairly shoddy MDF) speakers with 3" TB drivers going straight into a Lepai amp with a bit of extra treble dialed in sound truly quite superb, so what can do I stand to gain by maybe building new cabinets with better drivers & proper filters?

I find myself oddly attached to the TABAQ concept & driven to take it as far as it can go!

After following the TABAQ project online for the best part of a decade or so, I have finally been enjoying a pair of them on either side of my TV for roughly the past 2 years.

My question is, what are 'the best' drivers for the TABAQ? My current (fairly shoddy MDF) speakers with 3" TB drivers going straight into a Lepai amp with a bit of extra treble dialed in sound truly quite superb, so what can do I stand to gain by maybe building new cabinets with better drivers & proper filters?

I find myself oddly attached to the TABAQ concept & driven to take it as far as it can go!

There is here so many happy Tabaq users with different drivers, I personally build two different Tabaq, one with W5-2143 and the second with FaitalPro 4FE32 that by far is my favourite......all the best

There are two things here. If you like the TABAQs then stick to them – it’s a proven design outperforming many others, and if you want to take the TABAQs as far as it can go – then follow @kissabout2002’s advice and build TABAQs with plywood and Faital Pro 4FE32 drivers. Since you enjoy some good treble the Faitals will not disappoint and beating the TB W5-2143 drivers says a helluva lot.

Then, from my experience with diy audio over the last 5 years you have so so much to gain by upgrading the rest of your hifi chain. If one has good speakers, like the TABAQs you already have, you will be surprised how much better they can sound with upgrading other components. We don’t really know what you have and how you use it other than the Lepai amp. Hopefully the TV is not your source. For e.g. - using the same set of speakers (Tannoy monitors), I have upgraded my source (to FLAC files), my DAC from a Sabre to a NOS TDA1387 RPi DAC, my preamp from a Haffler to a Pass B1 to a AKSA Lender, my power amp from a Naim to a $2 lunch money TDA7297 amp to a Pass SE Class A amp – and with every upgrade there has been a significant and satisfying improvement to my ears, using exactly the same speakers. Even upgrading interconnects can be heard, but now we are on snake oil territory.

Hope this inspires you for more diy, and keep us posted.

Last edited:
Kissabout, in comparing the 4fe32 driver to the w5-2143, what do you prefer about the Faital?

Hi Plund, the middle/hight of the Faital are unique in crispiness and clarity, for do not talking about the bass response, deep and warm, now after more than 200 hours they came even better, some people ask me where is hidden the sub in the room because really looks impossible that such a small driver can perform in that way, well of course thanks to the Tabaq design. I can even tell you that after listen to Faital for 3 weeks as a test I could not listed to the W5-2143 anymore, so much so that I recently add an external tweeter and now I am happy with it does not match the same range of Faital but very close....all the best....so Perceval was right, even because he help a lot during the understanding of new driver and build process..:)

Good information and feedback on the 4fe32. I have a pair of folded Tabaq's with the tc9fd. One of my curious, toddler grandsons couldn't resist the temptation to push/mangle the dust covers ( my bad for not yet building covers for the speakers). I was thinking of replacing the tc9fd's with tG9fd's but with further consideration, I am guessing I would better appreciate what the 4fe32 has to offer. Of course I would need to carve a larger opening in my Tabaq's.

Pete

I too bought a pair of w5-2143. Now I am looking for an easy enclosure for them. I assume the TABAQ TL is different than the original TABAQ? Would anyone has the building plans for those enclosures? These are best to built with 3/4 inch plywood or mdf?

Thanks
B

You will find the sim on post #2224, plywood is much better .....all the best

Last edited:
Hi! any idea if these could work with the TABAq TL?
SP-40

Data:
Impedance (Z) 8 Ω
Transmission method -
Frequency range f3-10,000 Hz
Resonant frequency (fs) 80 Hz
Rec. crossov. frequ. (fmax.) (12 dB/oct.) -
Power rating (RMS) 8 W
Peak music power output (MAX) 16 W
Sensitivity 86 dB/W/m
Max. rated SPL -
Max. voltage -