TABAQ TL for Tangband

3" drivers if you like higher frequencies better.

4" drivers if you like bass better. Could be combined with a tweeter using a simple cap on higher end.

Keep Qts around 0.50 and look for the flattest response, or something you could adjust easily.

I didn't find a single driver yet that could be used as is, for my taste. All of them need a notch, a BSC or even some DSP to make them shine.

I really do like Peerless PLS-P830987 in TABAQ.

Of course the SPL will be limited for this small driver, but the wow factor is huge. The bass is deeper than you would expect.

The driver has small peaks at 4 kHz and 12 kHz, but that is only noticeable on some records and only when you have pushed the driver to its limit. As I use VCL on my phone (and a DAC connected to the USB) as source, I have made small adjustments with the equalizer.

Right now I am considering which 4" driver to use for the next build. The TBs I have laying around have a little weak treble - as perceval pointed out. However, I only want one driver. I am a FullRanger.

Hi
Bjørn

I like the W4-1720... looks like an impressive driver.

I punched it in, and it comes up to a small bump at the tuning point. It's not that big, but I usually like to see a gradual rise to a flat FR, as anything that looks like a bump in simulations will probably get worse when room nodes start to play, pick up the bump and amplify it.

But, it's only a couple of dBs, nothing major... and perhaps Bjørn can double check with MJK's sim to see if he gets the same little bump.

I like the W4-1720... looks like an impressive driver.

I punched it in, and it comes up to a small bump at the tuning point. It's not that big, but I usually like to see a gradual rise to a flat FR, as anything that looks like a bump in simulations will probably get worse when room nodes start to play, pick up the bump and amplify it.

But, it's only a couple of dBs, nothing major... and perhaps Bjørn can double check with MJK's sim to see if he gets the same little bump.

Wow! That was quick!

Thanks for the information.

Guys, I need help !

I'm trying to add a sub and planning to play the TABAQ higher to increase its SPL. For that, I have bought a 2.1 amp and the Pioneer 306R sub-woofer.
I created a thread in the sub-woofer section and "Bjorno" did a comprehensive analysis of my needs and proposed a solution. His post is here.
Need help to build a cheap sub using Pioneer TS-W306R

But, can you guys make sense of what he is saying ?
He also proposed to close the port of the TABAQ. So, how to do it ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated !

My system with the original design of TABAQ uses a small sub (Paul Carmody’s design). I used the design that allows a plate amp in it. The sub works really well with the TABAQ and so much so that in some recordings the house can vibrate a bit. Takes a bit of time to find the correct overall setttings on the amp, as well as where the best spot in the room for it. The TABAQs are hooked to the amp and the sub is connected to the DAC.

You can find my setup here; Kevin's fab sounding IQaudIO / MoOde based 2.1 home system - IQaudIO Limited

The attached images shows the design for the sub I used.

Hopping this doesn’t complicate things

Attachments

• B8D4C28B-8704-4935-BD4C-BBFC5A109DE3.png
    B8D4C28B-8704-4935-BD4C-BBFC5A109DE3.png
    323.7 KB · Views: 739
  • BB00D98A-B1E2-4FDA-ADAE-E5C331FF5CBD.png
    BB00D98A-B1E2-4FDA-ADAE-E5C331FF5CBD.png
    372.8 KB · Views: 731
Not everyone is born to be a rocket scientist! :).

Keeping it simple... just use WinISD to design a good box for your Pioneer driver.

Then, get one of those plate amps designed for subs, with a lowpass selector.
Don't block the vent on your TABAQs.

Use the sub to fill the low end and maybe some dips that come from the TABAQs placement in your room. Cross to the sub low enough, like 60-80Hz. That should do the trick.

Do get a mic if you don't already have one. That's an invaluable tool.

Eljoantonyn sorry I should of read your post closer, seems my previous post wasn’t what you wanted to know. Myself I cannot help you as I don’t really understand or make sense of what he is telling you.

He designed a horn loaded enclosure and i couldn't understand the dimensions from his post. May be I should learn that software.

Thanks for your post though.

Not everyone is born to be a rocket scientist! :).

Keeping it simple... just use WinISD to design a good box for your Pioneer driver.

Then, get one of those plate amps designed for subs, with a lowpass selector.
Don't block the vent on your TABAQs.

Use the sub to fill the low end and maybe some dips that come from the TABAQs placement in your room. Cross to the sub low enough, like 60-80Hz. That should do the trick.

Do get a mic if you don't already have one. That's an invaluable tool.
I already have the 2.1 amp.And yeah, I have finished the design using winISD for the pioneer driver. I'll go with the sealed enclosure design and see how it goes.

TABAQ For 4 inch driver

Hi

I have done some simulation with TB 4 inch for TABAQ.

The volume is increased to a cross section of 154 cm2. Driver is 8 inch from the closed end.

The document enclosed show you can use a dense stuffing without sacrificing the bass. Yes, there is a small drop in the bass, but i would still go for the dense stuffing. There is good control of cone movement resulting in a clean bass.

As always, you should experiment with stuffing to get the sound you prefer in your listening room. The simulation is a good starting point.

I have not made any building plans - or tried this version in real life :D

Have fun
Bjørn

Attachments

• Stuffing TABAQ TB 4 Inch.pdf
    312.9 KB · Views: 331
Thanks for the update, Bjørn

I have 3 different drivers running in my TABAQs which are slightly bigger than the original design.

There's the TB W4-1052SD, and it's good, but it needs work with 2 notches to clean up some cone breakup, and it drops very fast after 12kHz.

The other two are:
a pair made in Taiwan that's pretty good, only needs one notch and reaches 15kHz.
And another pair made in China, no name brand, that is the easiest to deal with a wide notch, sounds good, but also drops after 12 kHz.

Most of the 4" drivers would benefit from a supertweeter using a small cap to cross them. Simple to do.

Otherwise, they are very laid back and easy to listen to!

Curb my enthusiasm...

The title is totally worthy of this build as I am astounded by what I hear. I finally have been listening to my second build of TABAQs with the FaitalPro 4FE32 8ohm. Life got in the way and it took me a while to get to this build, but the wait I guess is worth it. My first build was with the TB W3-315E and I was quite happy with those. IMO the FP’s put the TABAQ in a whole different place. I don’t have the software, or mic to test these yet, so I am using my ears and have made the changes needed to make them sound where I like them. I will test them eventually.

Good, very good highs, and the mid-range is much much better then the TBs. Bass is there a bit more then the 3” but it sounds more solid. The sound stage is fuller and wider as well. I have listened and worked with these for the last 4 days and they keep sounding better. I have a sub hooked up as well. I haven’t measured SPL yet but they can be loud.

I hooked them up to my Pi/D amp/dac setup and they performed really well. I have them now hooked up to Dayton A/B amp with a Pi/Dac and it is a warm full sound. One thing that is quite apparent is voice, much cleaner, clearer. I heard lyrics that I couldn’t quite get with the TBs.

As you can see I mounted these on the backside of a removable baffle. Hardest thing was to get the precise placement for the screws to meet the inserts. I am very happy with the sound now, and will be taking then into the shop to finish them off. The removable baffle is going to be exotic wood, which I have I just need to thickeness plane the piece down to meet specs.

When I have them all done I will post a pic or two.

As of now they have 64 grams of stuffing in them and a 4Hz BCS. Personally I cannot see myself needing a tweeter with these, but a sub does definitely add the bit that is missing.

Attachments

• 6E322192-153E-4505-9542-A1487ED888B2.jpeg
    6E322192-153E-4505-9542-A1487ED888B2.jpeg
    302.8 KB · Views: 525