System Pictures & Description

Interesting stuff JamesTRexx. What about finishing them??? Do you want to paint them, or veneer them???

What I have in mind is covering the tweeter and mid baffle with felt, and also the inside behind it which needs it as it sounds like a box despite open sides.
The frames will be painted in high gloss white which should be less intrusive to sight. Thought about black but that'll give the whole room a darker feeling.
All this after rounding all edges, and I'm not sure when that'll be done because it'll mean no playing music for 1 or more days, and the thought gives me withdrawal symptoms. :hypno1:

A somewhat unique design of popular combinations of drivers. 3-way active driven by class D amps.
4x alpha 15a - paralleled to give 2x4ohm, 6dbLP@67Hz
2x Visaton B200 - 2x6ohm, 6db@300&600HZ (plus unusual magnet mount)
2x Neo3 PDR, open backed, 2x4ohm, 6db@1500Hz

Uses two layers of baltic birch for strength/rigidity. The fabric over the woofers does a lot for WAF!!!

The passive line level crossover (PLLXO) is awaiting a box. It is connected to three stereo power amps. PLLXO's do not see much mention in the forums but are considered ideal in many ways it seems.

I have no measuring equipment. Sounds smooth on 31 octave test tone tracks. Sub- bass is missing for movies at least and the top end is a bit bright.

The sound? I am very happy with the realism and the detail. Would recommend it to others.

Attachments

• P3087572.jpg
    P3087572.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 3,376
  • P3087579.jpg
    P3087579.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 3,150
  • P3087585.jpg
    P3087585.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 3,147
Here is the magnet mount (believe it or not) and the yet to be boxed PLLXO. Please excuse the mess with speaker cabling and the like. It's been like this for months now but I am too busy enjoying the sound.

Attachments

• P2177406.jpg
    P2177406.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 3,068
  • P2177407.jpg
    P2177407.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 2,980
3-way active driven by class D amps.
4x alpha 15a - paralleled to give 2x4ohm, 6dbLP@67Hz
2x Visaton B200 - 2x6ohm, 6db@300&600HZ (plus unusual magnet mount)
2x Neo3 PDR, open backed, 2x4ohm, 6db@1500Hz

The passive line level crossover (PLLXO) is awaiting a box. It is connected to three stereo power amps. PLLXO's do not see much mention in the forums but are considered ideal in many ways it seems.

Sub- bass is missing for movies at least and the top end is a bit bright.

The sound? I am very happy with the realism and the detail. Would recommend it to others.

With the Visaton being HPed at 300Hz and the Alphas being LPed at 67Hz is there not a hole in the midbass?

Sub bass is a problem with most OB systems. Maybe using Hawthorne Auggies would resolve this.

Thanks all for your interest. These have been a long time in the making and it is nice to share thoughts at last.

Paul,
The “glue” is “Plumbers Mate” sold for sealing minor pipe gaps and such jobs. It is recommended for the reported basket ringing of the B200.

For the magnet mount, I used a metal to metal glue to attach the magnet to a piece of aluminium, which in turn bolts on to a second sheet which is bolted to the baffle.

Dave,
I keep changing my mind about the tweeter crossover. Yes, a 6db@8KHz was used for a while and sounds much flatter. However, I have returned to the previous low crossover which the Neo3 is more capable of with the back cup removed than with it on. Perhaps I enjoy the brightness in the absence of reverberation. The room is open to the rest of the house on one wall which robs the reverberant atmosphere I seek. I am speculating mind you.

It is still a work in progress really.

Navin,
PLL filters are supposed to be effective in theory only, and actually somewhat weaker I hear. Also the Alphas are supposed to rise in response soon after 67Hz with a hump at one point, so the actual response is what my test tones indicate, that it is flat in the mid bass and blends well with the B200. I see Simon just indicated the same idea.

Also, Hawthorne sells modified alpha15s under his own brand name, although I do not recall if the Auggies are one of those. Either way, in the UK they are too expensive for me to bother importing.

Last edited:
If you look at the frequency response of a woofer on an OB with no correction or filters applied there's a large peak in the range he's "missing" via his XO. I roll mine in from about 80hz or something and that makes it more or less flat and smooth at the listening seat!

Simon

I thought so. I did not think SAC would make such a glaring error. Just wanted confirmation that my suspicions were on the right track. Thanks.

Seas- Dayton/ Energy Veritas Hybrid DIY Speaker

Here is my latest contribution to the DIY community:

It is a 4-1/2 way speaker utilizing all aluminum drivers
10" Seas L26RFX/P (H1209) & 8" L21RNX (H955) operating up to 100 Hz (3rd ord)
7" Dayton RS170-8 (lower) from 100-200 Hz (rolled off 1st order) Baff Diff. Comp.
7" Dayton RS170-8 (upper) from 100-400 Hz (3rd order HP/2nd order LP Acoust)
3" Upper Mid Energy Veritas Alum Dome 400-2.5K (2nd order Acoustic HP/LP)
1" Tweeter Energy Veritas Alum Dome 2.5K -20K (2nd order Acoustic)

All drivers have notch filters on upper peak(s) & and Daytons & 1" Dome have lower resonance notches.

Crossover based on Energy Veritas V1.8 (Midrange & Tweeter) integrated with LSPCAD-derived lower Woofers & midwoofers). There are over 80 componens in each crossover (PS & Teflon caps bypasses accounts for 30 components)

Crossovers consist of Jantzen/Solen inductors & Clarity Cap, Solen, Jantzen PP, Russian Polystyrene and Russian FT-2 Teflon capacitors and Metal Oxide resistors. Crossovers are separated from the enclosure with its own interior enclosure as well.

The system is QUAD-Wired and uses solid core wiring for midrange & tweeter with
multi-strand wiring for lower drivers.

Cabinets are a combination of Baltic Birch (11/16") inner top/bottom/sides with 1/4" oak veneer outer layers. The front baffle are 1-1/4" thick MDF with 1-1/4" routed front baffle. The cabinet is braced extensively to ensure minimal vibration.
Each cabinet is 49" X 12.5" X 21.25" and weighs an estimated 150 lbs each.

The Seas woofers are loaded in their own inner enclosures with the the 2 drivers loaded to 25 Hz. 10" woofer's port is at the front (near floor) and the 8" Seas is load via a rear (near top) port. Woofers enclosures use a combination of eggcrate foam with some roxaul (white fiberglass material)

Lower Midranges (Daytons) have individual enclosures and are loaded via aperiodic ports (2 each) loaded with open cell foam. The midrange (with its specially loaded rear enclosure) & tweeter domes are totally isolated via a secondary enclosure to prevent any woofer backwave/vibration from affecting their performance.

These speakers are a MAJOR upgrade to my former highly upgraded Thiel CS3.5 that I compared them to during construction & fine-tuning.

They are extremely dynamic and have focused imaging with a large ambient soundfield that immerses you in the music! They are by far the best speaker I have built and I have built over 100 sets in the last 30 years!

Attachments

• Energy Woofer 016.jpg
    Energy Woofer 016.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 3,207
  • Energy Woofer 018.jpg
    Energy Woofer 018.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 3,321
  • Energy Woofer 013.jpg
    Energy Woofer 013.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 3,401
  • Energy Woofer 017.jpg
    Energy Woofer 017.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 3,120
  • Energy Woofer 015.jpg
    Energy Woofer 015.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 3,029
  • Energy Woofer 012.jpg
    Energy Woofer 012.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 596
It is a 4-1/2 way speaker utilizing all aluminum drivers
10" Seas L26RFX/P (H1209) & 8" L21RNX (H955) operating up to 100 Hz (3rd ord)
7" Dayton RS170-8 (lower) from 100-200 Hz (rolled off 1st order) Baff Diff. Comp.
7" Dayton RS170-8 (upper) from 100-400 Hz (3rd order HP/2nd order LP Acoust)
3" Upper Mid Energy Veritas Alum Dome 400-2.5K (2nd order Acoustic HP/LP)
1" Tweeter Energy Veritas Alum Dome 2.5K -20K (2nd order Acoustic)

Crossover based on Energy Veritas V1.8..There are over 80 componens in each crossover...Each cabinet is 49" X 12.5" X 21.25" and weighs an estimated 150 lbs each.

They are by far the best speaker I have built and I have built over 100 sets in the last 30 years!

They look fantastic. I love the look, the size, the weight, everything, but the complexity! It must have been a long, patient, labourious process getting all the crossovers to mate seemlessly.

I wonder if the complexity could not have been reduced by say using the 8" woofer for baffle step compensation and/or using 2 10" woofers instead of a 8"+10" combo. Can the 10" go up to 400hz?

Are you at liberty to share the crossover or box volume and tuning details for this system?

Last edited:
The woofers are tuned to 25Hz via 65L for 10" and 45L for the 8".

Wowie so many capacitors? Givne that you have built 100 speakers over 30 years you must have ahd a reason to use so many capacitors in parallel that just maybe 2 (including 1 for bypass).

Capacitors short when they fail hence if one capacitor in a paralleled bank fails the entire bank gets shroted out of the the circuit. By using fewer capactiros hence, I believe, you are reducing chances of failure.