System Pictures & Description

Wide Baffle Seas 3-way

Well it comes in every shape and size!

Her are mine, and I havent seen any speakers thats look the same :)

Its a 3-way with Seas drivers; CA26RNX, MCA15RCY and 27TFFC.
They have gone through several stages with different drivers; L26, CA18RNX & 27TDFC, and with different crossovers; passive/DIY-active hybrid, all passive and lately all active with DCX2496.

Attachments

• Ferdig.jpg
    Ferdig.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 3,635
  • Dsc039.jpg
    Dsc039.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 3,546
  • Dsc035.jpg
    Dsc035.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 3,486
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Greetings!

Speakers are MJK designed FE103E OB over Alpha 15 in H-Frame.
Onkyo TX-8222/ Sony DVP-NS715P for CD playing/ Toshiba D-R410 for DVD playing/ dishNetwork receiver for TV/ Vizio 32in LCD.

I just finished these speakers last weekend and I have been listening to them every night since. I am VERY happy with the results!

I noticed from your picture that you are using the crossover component values that Martin published for the Open Baffle. In his other paper, he described the need to use a 125 hz cross over on the Eminence when in an H-frame.

My Eminence H-frame sounded terrible when I first hooked it up. Muddy midrange and some real boominess. Went back and re-read Martin's article where it says the H-frame needs to roll off at 125 Hz instead of 200 for the OB. So had to scrounge up a 125 Hz cross over. Got real close with 15 mH and 92 uf which actually sounds pretty good.

So curious if you have any of the similar issues I had.

Actually, I haven't had any problems with these. There was the burn in period, but after ~32 hours I could tell what those issues were because they were going away. I found on another forum where a guy was running his Alpha 15 straight with no lo-pass circuitry and loved it. Therefore, I didn't worry about my mistaken order from the first paper I read (discovered the H-Frame after my initial order) and thought that if I did notice something ugly, I could easily switch things since the cross-over is in the open on the back. I had two other pairs of ears over to critique and they didn't hear anything bad either. It may just be room acoustics(?), but I'm going to ride with these "as is" until I want to try something else.

Here it is! :)

I think that people were wondering if it was a ported cabinet design with the back removed, and with the latest picture, it appears as if you can block the port for a full OB, giving an option for both.

To be honest, I thought we were seeing the first ported OB in history, quite an accomplishment!:eek:

I like wide baffles myself, and with the large radius roundover at the sides it must sound very nice with a smooth transition from 2pi to 4pi.

Best Regards,
TerryO

I'm sorry if my speakers make you confused! :)

They are just some regular BR, the picture without the backplate was just so you could see how they are constructed.

The hole idea was to make the baffle wide enough so that I didnt need BSC on the mid, and round enough to minimize diffraction.

Then I coukl use a simple passive filter for the mid/tweet, active xo for the woofer, and then of course biamping.

The active xo for the woofer "meets" the baffle step, and is BSC is easily adjusted with gain on the amps.

Here are som more pictures, of the inside construction, with a longer pipe for the L26 woofer, and the woofer support,

Attachments

• Norcad_020.jpg
    Norcad_020.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 3,120
  • Norcad_059.JPG
    Norcad_059.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 712
  • Norcad_064.jpg
    Norcad_064.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 793
Thank you carpenter & Mike Gergen!

Well this thread says "system pictures and description" so I just want to show you the electronics, that maybe isnt something you are familiar with.
Like the Seas drivers, the dac, preamp and poweramps are Norwegian also, from the brand Abrahamsen. Mr Per Abrahamsen was the man behind "Elektrocompaniet" that I suppose is something some of you have heard of.

If you look at the picture below, you can see the HT stuff in the middle and lower right. On the left side and upper right si my "hifi-gear".
Its a Logitech Duet as my main music source, then Abrahamsen DAC (V6), Abrahamsen Preamp (V3), and two Abrahamsen Poweramps (v4). Actually I have three poweramps but only two of them are in use in this setup.

If you are cuorius, you can look for info here: V Series by Abrahamsen

Attachments

• Abraham_2.jpg
    Abraham_2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 941
Speakers are active 3-way: seas 27TDFC, ScanSpeak 15S/8530K01, ScanSpeak 21W/8555-01, via kx project drivers.

Enclosure is Tasmanian blackwood bird's-eye figure veneered in beautiful MDF :clown: Grills need to be redone because they are two layers with the staples showing through one of them.

Attachments

• SDC12691.JPG
    SDC12691.JPG
    962.9 KB · Views: 835
  • SDC12692.JPG
    SDC12692.JPG
    976.4 KB · Views: 1,109
  • SDC12694.JPG
    SDC12694.JPG
    971.9 KB · Views: 1,041
Last edited:
Speakers are active 3-way: seas 27TDFC, ScanSpeak 15S/8530K01, ScanSpeak 21W/8555-01, via kx project drivers.

Enclosure is Tasmanian blackwood bird's-eye figure veneered in beautiful MDF :clown: Grills need to be redone because they are two layers with the staples showing through one of them.

Staples---what staples? :D

Love what you're up to, they're going to look great!

What's up with the braided cable? This is new to me. Looks professional, sensational.

Tell me about those drivers. They look like they produce a smooth tone--probably get loud too...

Staples---what staples? :D

I build some child proof grills: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/152358-child-proof-grills.html

But they are not done yet. I need to redo them. You can see staples that attach the screen door screen under the fabric.

Love what you're up to, they're going to look great!

I think they look great now lol :D I'm not much for paint or veneer :) But I think I will paint them.

What's up with the braided cable? This is new to me. Looks professional, sensational.

I go for cheapness. But I don't want value-engineered drivers. So all my drivers were bought second hand, so I could build something relatively cheap. The cable is an essentially cheap or free DIY cable: DIY audio cables

Tell me about those drivers. They look like they produce a smooth tone--probably get loud too...

They are too loud for my apartment. They sound good. Does any one notice a difference between flac and mp3's (even 320)? Vifa XT25 might have been a better choice, but I couldn't find them for $50 a pair shipped like the Seas. Also a 15W with a big magnet or 15M might have been a better choice for a 3-way, but I got the 15S's for $160 shipped for both. And the 21W's were $180 a pair bought locally.

I could have gotten some Seas Excel W15CY-001 instead of the ScanSpeak 15S/8530-K01's, but I feared the harmonic distortion between 1-3 KHz. Just didn't make sense to use a driver like that for midrange to me. Also the ScanSpeak looks much better to me, even though I rarely look at them.

Last edited:
Does any one notice a difference between flac and mp3's (even 320)?

Nice. Does the slot in ther rear mean the woofer is bass-reflex? Or is it the termination of a tapered TL?

Yes. I use WavPack (also a lossless format) and MP3 (VBR APE LAME EAC) and I do notice a difference in sound quality. The Wavpak files are about 3 times the size of the MP3 files so they are not as portable but I consider them a good half way point between CD and MP3.