System Pictures & Description

I can't help posting my second "primary" system:

Sources:
-Ecdesigns'- DI16 "ultimate NOS DAC"- USB from Ubuntu based PC.
-Modded multiformat Samsung player-
-Lenco L75, stock, stolen from my Dad :D

Preamp:
-Either Kookaburra or a CS3310 from DIYclub.biz

Active Crossover:
-Heavily modded active XO from Ampslab.

Power amps:
-two modded UCD180 stereo amps.

Speakers:
-my beloved Autograph enclosures with Beyma KX15 coaxials...actively biamped, of course.

A photo one of the speakers:
http://picasaweb.google.com/maxlorenz24/DIY/photo#5147615230415638674

The room is 5,5m*6,7m*2,5m (W/L/H) and was actually planned to receive the speakers, though my beloved one thinks it was the other way round...

The system is in continuous evolution (I'm fighting a "little" humm from cable TV->DVD, now).

What strikes most with this system is the SCALE, both in terms of physical dimension and in terms of dynamic contrasts and the possibility of high SPL listening without significant distortion. In fact it sounds better at high SPL ;)
A high sensitivity monster it is...

Cheers,
M
The mono-maniac

Been building amps again myself....

Four channel amp with volume control for sub/sattelite channels, built in 100hz LP/HP filters. A 10-pin connector that can replace the power and speaker banana plugs so you can connect four speakers and power with one plug.

Fits in the palm of your hand......4x100 watt running on 10 to 27Vdc...

Attachments

• ready1.jpg
    ready1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 3,522

Attachments

• ready2.jpg
    ready2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 3,189
Hi, thanks! They are JBL 2220A....yes the version with alnico magnets.

They're pretty old (70'...), but have been reconed and remagnetized back in 1999....so they are still very OK....

Their high efficiency made it possible to have PLLXO filtered OB correction. The resulting gain exactly matches the ESL drivers....

Revision

Finally reconstituted my old system well enough to look at.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Shown from top to bottom:
Laptop - wireless connection from my main computer where I store all my music (one music library rather than multiple libraries)
POS pioneer tape deck - will be replaced soon enough.
Yamaha TX-930 tuner
ART 341 equalizer - nothing special
DBX 120X subharmonic synthesizer
DBX 3BX-DS Dynamic Range compander
Kenwood Basic C1 preamp
Yamaha DSP 100U
Yamaha DSP 1
(without back speakers, I'm not certain which I'm going to leave in there. I might even build a switch for them if I find advantages for each. But for now, they're both non functioning)
Kenwood Basic M1a
Kenwood Basic M1

I have two brushless fans in the back of the cabinet with a simple mercury switch thermostat. I plan to replace it with a variable speed control thermostat later. The whole keeps the room warm even when quiescent. I'm also thinking on replacing at least some of the aging caps this summer.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thank you Sreten for the replacement driver recommendation. Look at the equalizer settings - I suspect you're right, Sreten - the PR is tuned higher than 33Hz. I still have not done any tests - getting sound at all has been the high priority. But the bass is definitely tighter than what the original drivers produced. With the aid of some hearing protectors, and software sine wave generator, I determined that the current proteciton can handle it even with the extra parallel cap. The frequency rise on the EQ is my aging ears.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004

Very undone and a mess but i wanted to show my progress..My t100 is in for repair already!!! :,, ( So im using my dads technics cd player for the meantime. The speakers are very different (as you can tell...) at the moment but will change drastically in the near future. As a whole the system sounds very good and real but not on the level it will be in the future.

My Open Baffle Line Array Speakers

This is my Dipole Line Array,

it needs a subwoofer for full bass performance
below 70 Hz, so it is a FAST system in fact.

On the rear of the open baffle there is a
tweeter panel which adds the highs missing
in the backward radiation of the fullrange drivers.

This is to optimize polar radiation characteristcs
and to ensure enough power above 2 Khz in the
far field.

For listening distances up to 3m you won't miss
(or even notice) the tweeter panel. At higher
distances it is a real improvement.

Regards

Attachments

• openbafflefullrangedipollinearray_small.jpg
    openbafflefullrangedipollinearray_small.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 3,512
Here is my XL Fidelity PG 1800 Pro :)

Bass: 18" (Vantage)
Tweeter: 1" (Vifa H26TG)
Midrange: 8" (SEAS CA 21)

Size: (BxHxD) 560x1210x420 mm
Weight: 176 pounds

Power: 1000 Watt

Impedance: 4 ohm
Sensitivity: 101 dB/Watt

The system:

Amplifier:

Acoustic Reality EAR 1001

Preamplifier:

NAD C162