System Pictures & Description

well, I guess before I get finished I'll change what I want _grin_

So I'm going to post my current configuration.

Azurahorns with Lowther DX4's. Subs are NHt1259's in Madisound sealed cabs. Amps are VAC 30/30 300B push-pull on the Azura's and Crown Comtech 410's on the subs, crossover Behringer DCX2496.

My NAK CA1 Digital Dolby decoder died so I don't have the LCD projector set up and haven't hung the screen. We listen to regular TV with this setup and for movies I'll have to slide the horns to the side a little.

Thanks to comments from Dave and others about the sound stage collapsing with a center channel when I get the HT back togther I intend to use a phantom center.

The cat was ninteen years old last halloween, so she thinks she runs the place.

Regards

Ken L

Attachments

• system24.jpg
    system24.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 6,885
Stargate Aurora Reference System

This is a five-way fully horn loaded system.

My Webpages

For the deep bass it used three eighteen inch woofers (2 EVX180 and the center has a JBL 2242H) loaded in three seperate MGA subhorns. They have powerful low distortion response well below 20 cycles and are operating in mono below 35 cycles. The subs are behind the screen and take up the front wall.

The bass is handled by the two side wall placed bass horns. Each horn is loaded with two JBL 2220 Alnico 15" woofers operated in dipole isobaric (the back of the rear woofer is open to the room) for ultra low distortion and realistic impact. They cover the 35 to 160 cycle range.

The midrange horns are modified Sierra Brooks tractrix horns loaded with a JBL 2123J 10" drivers that has been specially treated. The back chamber is tuned with a tiny one liter enclosure for the best sound/response. These horns cover from 160 cycles to 1000 cycles. These are the soul of the system reproducing most fundementals. Sensitivity is 107 db with a watt.

The upper range horns Sierra Brooks tractrix horns loaded with JBL 2440 compression drivers. Thir range is 1000 cycles to 8000 cycles. Very refined and sweet sounding!

The ultra high treble is covered with a pair of fully charged JBL 2405 Alnico slot tweeters. They blend in just perfect with the rest.

Overall I find this system to be as close to perfect I have heard. it is triamped with an amp for the subs, another for the bass, and another for the 160 cycle up range. All the horns are alligned within 1/4 wavelength at the crossover frequency and require no sound degrading digital crossover. It REALLY gets the midrange right and has damn near heart stopping dynamics.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.