System Pictures & Description

Thanks for the comments, the drivers used are:

Focal TC120TD5
Seas CB17RCY
2 x Peerless 217 WR 33 (850136)

I've never heard the TDX but the TD5 sounds pretty sweet to me. The only problem I've found with it is the foam surround which seems to attract lot's of dirt and fluff!

I've updated the page to include a diagram of the crossover I've used.

I've played around running the top half full range without the woofers and found the CB17RCY to be a bit bass shy. I could never really figure out the cause of this as I'm sure it should be able to dig a bit lower. With the woofers hooked up it's not a problem :)

The whole project is based on Thorsten Loesch's (sp?) David - Jericho project with a few minor changes, a quick search on google should provide lots of info.

Mac.

BigMacX said:
I've played around running the top half full range without the woofers and found the CB17RCY to be a bit bass shy. I could never really figure out the cause of this as I'm sure it should be able to dig a bit lower.
Thanks for the info :)

CB17RCY/w17ppi is indeed very dry in the bass - my speakers use 2 in MTM config, and I use (and indeed seem to need) a sub to cover 20-50hz. I recently started using them with no x-over, having the tweeter come in at about 5khz 1st order. This way the bass is really well controlled and accurate.

The 850136 looks like a lovely bass driver - you couldn't expect one 6.5", short x-max driver to do the work of 2 8" drivers :)

Konnichiwa,

BigMacX said:
I've played around running the top half full range without the woofers and found the CB17RCY to be a bit bass shy. I could never really figure out the cause of this as I'm sure it should be able to dig a bit lower. With the woofers hooked up it's not a problem :)

The original for the "top" bit was the earlier "studio console" placement "WATT". This means it will be bass shy when placed without an adjecent rear wall and surface below it (mixing desk).

BigMacX said:
The whole project is based on Thorsten Loesch's (sp?) David - Jericho project with a few minor changes

Very nicely done, congratulations. I hope you enjoy the resulting speaker system....

Sayonara

my current setup

I'm German Student,
This is my actual setup, now I'm almost pleased. I investet lot of my hard earned money and many time in it.

All Speaker's are Selfmade with the exeption, that the front Maestro was rebuild, with orginal components from the German Firm. The Tower is made by myselfe to. The blue light comes from a neon lamp in the pipe at the back.

The white one for stereo with an own amp ( Sonus Faber Musica), and the other ones for D-Digital...

Greethings from Germany , Andi

Attachments

• img_9482.jpg
    img_9482.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 6,157
Re: Raami's Woofer

hotsyflotsy said:
Raami, does the front of your Woofer cabinet not start vibrating? Since it is only fiber/polyester, with air behind it, it may start vibrating along with the chassis.

Why don't you fill the space with sand or something.

I had that same thought in my mind too, but I decided to try it first without sand. Result was that it doesn´t vibrate at all, because the fiberglass layer is quite thick and the layer is not be directed to sthraight pressure from the elements because of MDF wall. I have still possibility to fill empy space with sand, just by taking off both elements. I have also empty space in the bottom of the cabinet which I can also fill with sand. But anyway, time will tell what improvements I`m going to make because there is always something to improve! :scratch:

And thanks for You all for motivating comments! :up:

hi all! been lurking here for a while. just thought i'd post what i have done in the DIY world.

i have owned a pair of New Large Advents since 1977. last year i took them apart, and using parts bought on ebay i built myself a pair of double advents. the enclosures are 18 inches wide, 4 feet tall, 14 inches deep at the base, and go up vertically for 12 inches, then taper to 10 inches deep at the top. each woofer is in its own sealed chamber, one slightly smaller, and one slightly larger then the original cabinet. trying to avoid any response peak doubling. the tweeters are mounted near the top, side-by-side. i know, a terrible idea. but i mounted the outboard tweeters at about a 40 degree angle, facing the opposite side of the room. kind of an enhancement on the toe-it-in idea. makes for a very wide sweet spot. the components are wired up using the original crossovers, and the original binding posts are available on the back. i have wired them up in parallel, which the Kenwood VR6070 drives just fine.

for movies, i bought an advent audio focus center channel speaker, but i was not thrilled with it. so.... back to ebay! i bought two more sets of large advent parts, and built a center channel "system". two woofer modules, one on each side of the panasonic 53wx53 RPTV. and i mounted the tweeters in maple blocks, sitting on top of the TV. NOW movies sound amazing!

i painted the enclosures flat black, and then sprayed them with granite paint, black with white and grey flecks. very textured. very different. i made grills for the tapered doubles that hang in free space in front of the drivers, so you can not see the angled tweeters. gives the speakers some very interesting lines, visually. no grills for the centers yet, but they will just be stuck on the front of the boxes.

so far, so good. comments are welcome!

sm.

Attachments

• pict0005-640x480enhanced60.jpg
    pict0005-640x480enhanced60.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 6,597