System Pictures & Description

IMG_0989sm.JPG
845 amplifier with a fishtank for projectile avoidance.
Uses 6sn7 for first stage and 112a for drivers.
Driving horns from 200hz up.
Wooden case is from a discarded table.

IMG_0992sm.JPG
Top view

IMG_0994sm.JPG
Speakers

18 inch woofers are driven by a stereo receiver. Not much power is needed for the woofers.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
There are some weird effects there. If mouse is on the browser window you have grey text on a grey background. I get from your equipment you like grey :p. If you move the mouse out the browser window its still grey on grey but almost legible.
BTW what's a 'Butwrt'? Sounds painful, hope you can get ointment for it!

There are some weird effects there. If mouse is on the browser window you have grey text on a grey background. I get from your equipment you like grey :p. If you move the mouse out the browser window its still grey on grey but almost legible.
BTW what's a 'Butwrt'? Sounds painful, hope you can get ointment for it!

Yes, the cut and paste from a Word file resulted in the strange colors. You can read it If you hover or drag your mouse over the text. "Butwrt" yes, like Mrs Butterworth.

My 3 way speakers, started off as active with using a minidsp. Ended up
changing them to passive set-up recently.

Speakers were made by stacking CNC'd plywood layers, bass section has wall cavity mass loaded with lead.
Midrange/Tweeter baffle and insert made from aluminium, insert was to allow SS ring radiator to be changed
to Ribbon.

Crossover points, 350Hz & 2800Hz

Drivers:
Scanspeak Ring Radiator
AudioTechnology 18H mid
AudioTechnology 2 x 10A Woofer made to suit sealed enclosure.

Attachments

• build01.jpg
    build01.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 2,688
  • build03.jpg
    build03.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 2,747
  • build02.jpg
    build02.jpg
    730.1 KB · Views: 2,860
My 3 way speakers, started off as active with using a minidsp. Ended up
changing them to passive set-up recently.

Speakers were made by stacking CNC'd plywood layers, bass section has wall cavity mass loaded with lead.
Midrange/Tweeter baffle and insert made from aluminium, insert was to allow SS ring radiator to be changed
to Ribbon.

Crossover points, 350Hz & 2800Hz

Drivers:
Scanspeak Ring Radiator
AudioTechnology 18H mid
AudioTechnology 2 x 10A Woofer made to suit sealed enclosure.

Nice speakers! For the passive crossover, did you build using the same parameters you had programmed for MiniDSP, or you came along with a new setup?

Nice speakers! For the passive crossover, did you build using the same parameters you had programmed for MiniDSP, or you came along with a new setup?

I only used the same crossover points l ended up with in the Minidsp, l prefer the passive version over the active, the sealed bass from 4 x 10’s is pretty impressive even without any low end boosting done when it was active.

I only used the same crossover points l ended up with in the Minidsp, l prefer the passive version over the active, the sealed bass from 4 x 10’s is pretty impressive even without any low end boosting done when it was active.

Good...I am changing from active to passive on my DIY 2-Way bookshelfs. Doing the same, using the parameters (XO points and gain adjustment-LPad) I had in the active.

two way bass reflex

This is my first speaker .
For the calculus i have used an old paper by
Patrick j. Snyder n°1307
I have implied a low cost 8" woofer for P.A. and a tweeter
vifa from my old two way esb cdx .
The case is double layer and the sensitivity is about 90dBspl.
The cross-over is made using the Allen.B guide and have a first order for each way
(thanks Alllen.B) .:)

Attachments

• diffusoreBR-B-1.jpg
    diffusoreBR-B-1.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 3,259
  • diffusore-completo.JPG
    diffusore-completo.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 3,263
  • diffusore-completo-griglia.JPG
    diffusore-completo-griglia.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 3,145
Last edited:
sound ...

Looks great! How does it sond ?

The principal aspect of the sound is the stability of the scene this is made by an a half
first order cut off over tweeter and woofer cells . :)
The case don't have a audible resonances and the behaviour in frequency is next to the
closed box to increase the velocity response . :)
At start i was undecided among a single way TL and a bass reflex two way. :)

This is my first speaker .
For the calculus i have used an old paper by
Patrick j. Snyder n°1307
I have implied a low cost 8" woofer for P.A. and a tweeter
vifa from my old two way esb cdx .
The case is double layer and the sensitivity is about 90dBspl.
The cross-over is made using the Allen.B guide and have a first order for each way
(thanks Alllen.B) .:)

I remember Pat Snyder from SpeakerLab here in Seattle. A very bright guy and quite interesting to listen to!