System Pictures & Description

15 inch ambiance FR

Here is my latest speaker project. Took me quite some time! Love their effortless 3d sound. The 15 inch woofer is only there for the low midrange. To crossover from the lazy 12 inch powered subwoofer to the PHY-HP FR (unfiltered).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 2,279
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 2,251
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 2,152
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 2,012
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks.

In the beginning of this project I set my requirements as follows:
• Active subwoofers 12 inch as low as possible FS
• Fullrange low-mid-high as possible but wanted linearity (used Lowther before which are too upfront)
• Supertweeter support
• Lots of dynamics in the sound
• Alnico magnets for the most part of the spectrum
• Not too tall
• Not too wide
• Depth was OK
• Simple crossovers
Well the configuration is as follows:
• Active sub XO around 80Hz (70L Wavecor Subwoofer SW312TU01)
• JBL 2220A XO around 150Hz (16 ohms, 15 inch, alnico NOS, crossover with HQ58/15/112 15mh)
• PHY-HP 8 inch silver coil (unfiltered)
• Visaton TL16H XO around 10KHz (1.4 uF)
I wanted to have a lot of dynamic and ambiance in the low department hence the extra 15inch woofer which gives a 3D dimension to the soundstage and gives of very much power around 100Hz where the subwoofer and PHY-HP would not have enough energy (PHY-HP) or would be too slow (subwoofer with heavy cone).
The configuration I came to because of practical considerations for the width of the box. But in the end it was a gamble which I now feel turned out very well. I have no longer a need for new speakers because these have it all for me (sound staging, enough low, enough high, balanced sound)…..

Part way finished with a pair of jensen imperials, still have yet to put trim on them and there are a pair of yuichi a290s horns that I am finishing up. In my hurry to use them, I have connected them to the low range crossover connection from the pioneers in the photo, using the midrange and tweeters for the highs. It works pretty well at 500Hz since the original cutoff was at 600Hz.

Attachments

• Untitled_Panorama1.jpg
    Untitled_Panorama1.jpg
    861.8 KB · Views: 2,444
The problem is the weight (+ / - 200kg) and dimension (width 0m72 x height 1m60 x depth 0m66) of the cabinet.

The concept is a copy of studios monitors KINOSHITA RM-8VC.
The volume of cases is the same, but a problem of handling, we have cut into 2 pieces.
The horn is a clone of the model TAD TH4001.
The JBL 2450J-1 are the models used by MEYER SOUND, they were up with D16R2450.
The speakers DAVIS ACOUSTICS, a French manufacturer of loudspeakers in 30 years, it uses carbon membranes and for mounting with double ferrite.
This set was manufactured by FD AUDIO.

Stéphane