SynTripP: 2-way 2-part Virtual Single Point Source Horn

The volume enclosed in front of the driver (VTC, volume of throat chamber) creates an acoustical low pass filter, reducing VTC using a cone shaped filler increases the frequency of the cut off.
Without the filler, the HF driver would have to be crossed over lower than it should be for high power use.

Over the past few weeknights I created the toolpaths for the throat adapter plate. I also went on a little side quest and learned how to use the CNC to do thread milling. That was an adventure. The 1/4-20 threads that mate the two plates together were milled on the CNC using a thread mill, first time I've ever tried doing that.

In retrospect, I could have made the forward half of the throat adapter plate out of baltic birch instead of aluminum and it would have made the whole thing lighter. But I've been enjoying working with the aluminum and weight is not as crucial a factor in my expression of the SynTripP design.

Eye candy attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1524.JPEG
    IMG_1524.JPEG
    828.1 KB · Views: 678
  • IMG_1530.JPEG
    IMG_1530.JPEG
    862.6 KB · Views: 637
  • IMG_1533.jpg
    IMG_1533.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 646
  • IMG_1534.JPEG
    IMG_1534.JPEG
    891.4 KB · Views: 966
Over the past few weeknights I created the toolpaths for the throat adapter plate. I also went on a little side quest and learned how to use the CNC to do thread milling. That was an adventure. The 1/4-20 threads that mate the two plates together were milled on the CNC using a thread mill, first time I've ever tried doing that.

In retrospect, I could have made the forward half of the throat adapter plate out of baltic birch instead of aluminum and it would have made the whole thing lighter. But I've been enjoying working with the aluminum and weight is not as crucial a factor in my expression of the SynTripP design.

Eye candy attached.

First. Very nice work! You are making me think about making this just to listen to it! I'm partial to Planars for the high frequency so I may do that instead. Are you considering posting your files? I wouldn't blame you for saying no. It's a lot of work to make these up.

Second. BB takes a wonderful thread and the thread has greater pull out resistance than even a screw. I use BB to make many jigs and fixtures. Machine screws are wonderful to use to assemble and take them apart. And holes sized for 100% thread cutting are the key to this. A little paraffin wax on the threading tap and you are whistling through them with a drill.

Hey folks, at LONG last, here's the solidworks 2018 model for the 3D printed interior and the laser-cut exterior parts. We're not able to support this with BOMs etc right now, but if you have SW and a large printer, this may be worth a look.

Dropbox - SYNTRIPP.rar - Simplify your life

Does anyone with Solidworks 2018 or newer feel like exporting these as .STEP files so that they can be opened by older versions of Solidworks or other CAD programs?

Was thrilled to find them but my 2016 Solidworks refuses to open a single one!

Eye candy attached.

The quality of your works blows me away....awesome!

The "SynTripP 3D" as mentioned in post #29 didn't turn out to have any features that worked well enough to put more work into it.
Prototypes demonstrating stereo sound from a single cabinet were underwhelming, and combining the horizontal output of three (or more) conical horns using small "full range" drivers was a sonic compromise.

Last edited:
I want to also say thank you to Welter and Jenny Girl for making it possible for me to build a SynTripP. Took me two weeks to build plus 4 days of research as it was my second diy project but all the work payed off.
In terms of electronic music this thing leaves everything behind including Lambda labs, D&B audio and other high end PA audio manufacturers. And here comes a question: does anybody have DSP settings for the B&C DE90TN used in a SynTripP? I'm not completely fine with how voices sound so far although it's not that important for me as I will play mostly different forms of tech and psy music on it.