SX-Amp and NX-Amp

Getting there!

Had to change R28, R29, R36, R37 to 110R and 150R respectively otherwise I could not bias the amplifier. I had missed this update and thanks to Fab I'm back on tracks! :D

All amps are now fully adjusted but I have not yet tested a signal through them. This will be done in a day or so. Once I know all is fine I will prepare the chassis and the AMB Switch Driver for power up the whole thing.

Getting really excited now!!

Here's the last picture from the test setup

2014-09-06%252000.47.36.jpg

Ciao!
Do

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Here is the single sided sx-Amp (15 Watt Class A CFA) PCB layout in Gerber format I promised a few days ago.

I have not built this version (only the THP version)

So, please feel free to take a look.

The circuit is the same as for the one in the write-up on my website except that I have replaced C2 with a through hole electrolytic device and J2 is removed. Further, all the semiconductors are now through hole.

The overlay and circuit diagram are attached as .jpg

NOTE: THIS LAYOUT INCORPORATES THE UPDATED RESISTOR VALUES FOR R28, R29 AND R36 AND R37.

I don't know how to turn this into a .pdf file - anyone got any ideas? This will mean people can etch their own boards.

The write on this amplifier is on my website - here is a link for your convenience: Ovation sx-Amplifier: A 15 W class A Amplifier

Happy building!

Attachments

• Single sided sx-Amp Gerbers.zip
    77.6 KB · Views: 165
  • SS sx-Amp Circuit Diagram.jpg
    SS sx-Amp Circuit Diagram.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 663
  • Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 638
Last edited:
Bonzai,
at the maximum output of 15W the voltage across the feedback resistors is ~15.5Vac
That gives a dissipation in each of the 5 off 1k0 resistors of ~220mW.
That is very high for a feedback resistor.

Even increasing to 10ff 2k0 resistors gives 110mW. That is double what I would apply to a 600mW feedback resistor.

Have you considered using say 10off 3k resistors to get the maximum dissipation down to a smaller percentage of Pmax for each resistor?
The lower leg would become 22r for similar gain.

Would this higher feedback resistance reduce the amplifier performance?

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Andrew,

The feedback resistor is set at 200 Ohms to preserve the SR and BW of this design. The current available to charge the compensation cap in a CFA is related to the value of the feedback resistor and the peak rail voltage.

Re the dissipation, remember the crest factor of music is typically 1:7, lower on modern compressed recordings. So, for music, the total dissipation of the feedback resistors is well within ratings.

PDF conversion

Use Nitro Pdf reader. When this is installed, and you choose Print from any program, you get under the option "printer", Nitro PDF Creater. Click print, choose quality settings and where to save and you are done.

Download the free version only. From http://www.nitropdf.com/pdf-reader

Attachments

• Full page photo.pdf
    128.9 KB · Views: 195
Last edited: