Sure Electronics Tripath boards?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody from a newbie !:)
First I want to thanks all for the enourmous quantity of information that is possible to fnd here, then a

brief story : last month, making order in my garage i foun a couple of coaxial car speakers so I questioned

to myself : " what about to make a good cheap and good sound docking station for my new Iphone ??" .

surfing the web I discovered the T-amp and looking on ebay I founded some little boards with the 2024 chip,

I bought one froma a vendor named " Iwannabuy" that seemed to be the Sure but , after I read this thread I

discover to have a CLONE .

I would like to make some mods to the board like :

a) removing the C3 and C24
b) remove and bridge C3 and C21 adding a good cap of 2,2 mf in line of + signal
c) remove R3 and R16
d) to add ( replace ?? ) capacitor to the power rails ( here I've not clear ideas HOW to make the mod and WHAT exactly I've to add...:-( )
e) substitute the inductance with bigger ones ( do this really help ? wich kind of inductance is good for it ? )

But as you can see many components are in different position respect to the Sure board so I don't know if is still possible to make the some mods of the sure....

I know that someone else have my same board like gychang ...

Does anyone can help me ?

Thanks

Just for you gychang;)

Hey guys. I received my Sure 2024 amp module a couple of days ago. I got all the parts for my enclosure and also wanted to do the above mods according to the illustration by audio1st above.

I went to an electronics store and showed them the diagram and they gave me me a 4,700uF 63V Electrolytic Can. I dont think they had a 16v so they gave me this instead. Will the 63V electrolytic be fine?

I also got a LED but its not 12V, what sort of resistor do I need to connect it to a 12VDC power supply?

I need some help...

I removed C3,C24, C21 and C13. Is it a must to bridge C21 and C13?

I then removed R3 and R16 to lower DC offset aswell

Then added 10k resistors to R8 and R14.

The problem is now I cannot get any audio... I used a tester and saw that there is current throughout the board however there is NO power coming out of the speaker terminals!?... any ideas what could have caused this? Earlier I tested and saw there was power but could not seem to get it back after that...

Please help, thanks

Last edited:
Are there any guys still active, I would really appreciate the help.

Unfortunately my camera cannot take good pics and if would be rather useless to post it.

I did some more experimenting, as posted earlier I have C24 and C3 removed, R8 and R14 have 10k resistors and c13 and c21 are temporally bridged.

I noticed that I can see a sort of brown through the solder on C21 and C13 which is probably the pcb... I hope this is not the fault.

I notice that without an input there is a slight hum on the speakers but when I connect an input (my cellphone), there an extremely loud buzz. I am using a 3W 4ohm test speaker because I dont want to mess up my other speakers. The speaker terminals are still not showing a + or - on my tester aswell.

any ideas?

Hi there.. the correct pot should be 50k. After this nothing but a filter choke (two for stereo) from live input to ground. Value 2000henry/47kohms. This is a recipe somewhere found on tube circuitry when placing a grid choke on input tube to ground. Then input capacitors, I find the best to be teflon from russia (4 x 0,47uf.) + 0,22uf. What more.. ah! yes there is on input chip four resistors R 8-14-7-13, I got 33kohms on this. This is enough for the input.

I am looking at the pre-built Sure amp with the AA-AB340 board, can someone tell me if that is an opamp buffer stage on board?

According to the circuit schematic - No!

It looks like Sure Electronics has a new (and improved?) version of this board. They claim:

It integrates a high-quality potentiometer and a rotary encoder which provides precise shaft rotation. This potentiometer employs high-quality digital volume control IC ensuring more accurate volume adjustment and perfect sound output than the traditional analog potentiometer even after long time use.

I wonder what that means. You can see some of the difference on the circuit board. It looks like they may have made a few small tweaks to the power end of the amp as well. Look at the box caps used on the supply rails to the Tripath chip.

th_AA-AB340.jpg
th_AA-AB341.jpg

-Old board- -New board-

It looks like Sure Electronics has a new (and improved?) version of this board. They claim:

I wonder what that means. You can see some of the difference on the circuit board. It looks like they may have made a few small tweaks to the power end of the amp as well. Look at the box caps used on the supply rails to the Tripath chip.

th_AA-AB340.jpg
th_AA-AB341.jpg

-Old board- -New board-

Often volume controls with IC are done with + and - buttons. A nicer interface is the rotary encoder, which gives the feel of a pot, but actually does nothing other than pressing the volume up and down at the IC pins...

Usually these encoders don't have an end stop and can be turned infinitely, so the volume often returns to a pre-fixed setting on start up. If not there may be a memory holding the last setting, but then (and in any case) it would be handy if there was a display showing the level....

I would ALWAYS prefer to have a separate preamp and not have all this junk on my power amplifier board, but for portable devices and PC speakers it can be convenient....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.