• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Subbu DAC V3 - ES9023/WM8804 SPDIF & Power Supply PCB" Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
your optical input will work fine with the Subbu/Jean-Paul power supply

I also found this on ebay: (I would guess that regulator should run fine at less than 6V input, but I am not sure)

Listing Name: TOSLINK Optical Input to S/PDIF Module

Listing#: 330386501621

Price: $23.00

Optical Input Module for DAC

Specification:

• Optical Input to S/PDIF Output
• Low Noise&Low Drop Regulator
• Low Impedance Tantal and MLCC
• Power Input : Regulated or Unregulated DC 6~20V(MAX 40mA)
• Support up to 192KHz
• Output Voltage Level : 0.1 ~ 4V
• Low Jitter : < 0.033ns(@15dBm)
• Gold Plated PCB
• Size : 24x42x21(WxDxH :mm)

I'm using two of those very same optical inputs with two of the V2 Subbu DAC's and the Jean-Paul / Subbu 5.5V power supplies. They both work great. One power supply will run both a DAC and one of the optical units.

PSU transformer alternatives?

Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative transformers compatible with the PSU PCB for the Subbu DAC?

I am unable to find a source for the Tamura 3FD-316 (as specified in the BOM) here in the UK, where you don't have to make a reasonably large minimum order value or pay a high postage price for a small price item.

It looks like the PCB is geared up to take two different kinds of transformer, if this is the case could anyone recommend an alternative please. I can see similar or potentially suitable types on eBay but pin spacings appear different.

It looks like uk.mouser.com and digikey.co.uk are showing it as in stock.

Thanks, these would be convenient, but it's the high shipping rate for a cheap item that I'd like to avoid. Yes they have in stock but I signed up for the parts GB so wouldn't be making up their minimum order quantities to qualify for free shipping. The shipping alone for just the transformer would, relatively speaking, bump up the cost of the DAC significantly.

I see similar transformers on eBay for just a few quid including shipping but the pin spacing looks slightly different. So wondering if the alternative set of holes on the power PCB are for a different type of transformer? I'm sure I saw a picture on here where someone had used an encapsulated version.

Hoping there maybe something readily available elsewhere there that would drop into the PCB?

There are a few options similar to this (albeit 9V) that look similar but not sure they'll physically fit:
PCB MAINS TRANSFORMER 3VA 9V+9V PCB MOUNT - INPUT 230 V AC . | eBay

Bud if you won`t find one on ebay we can look for few more people and order traffos for uk.
I remember someone saying there must be transformers on ebay definitely but if not (or they are too expensive) we can do small gb.
We only need to ask Korben what is a saving for parts gb would be and if extra shipping not going to offset benefits.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Guys you can also use EI34 types with 8 V secondaries. I can not get to the info right now but I used a second footprint for a standard molded EI type transformer.

I think it is the footprint for EI34 types (2 x 8 V 2,3 to 2,8 VA) but I have to check. Please note hat you can use 16 V caps with the Tamura. All other transformers that i used gave quite high voltages (unloaded or loaded with just the DAC). You have to use 25 V types in such cases.

http://www.conrad.nl/ce/nl/product/710493/PCB-Transformers-NA-VB-2828-Block-1-st

Last edited:
Looks like a mini GB might be a good idea. Mouser price is probably best £3.08+VAT assuming enough ordered to qualify for free delivery, then packing and reposting would be about £5.50 for Royal Mail 2nd class. so total cost would still be about £9.10.
At the end of the day not much of a saving over paying Mouser delivery charges!!

I was wondering what the dimensions of the pcb's are? i'm building a wooden enclosure and want to find a lille metal enclosure to screen the dac part inside the wooden enclosure so dimensions would be helpful, pardon if i've missed this info in a past post.

Work in progress pictures.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.