Straight Line Array SB65WBAC25-4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Driver test fit. 65mm CTC spacing. It was tight and didn't get everything lined up correctly but all drivers fit so I guess it's a win......and a pile of boxes!

Attachments

• driverTestFit.jpg
    driverTestFit.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 511
  • driverBox.jpg
    driverBox.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 377

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
mlee:

Awesome build and an excellent choice for the driver!

I'm really looking forward to seeing how these turn out.

Two notes:

1 - I'm really glad you pushed the C-C spacing and tolerance to get all 36 drivers in. It might mean a bit of extra effort getting everything mounted, but it will be worth it. I also pushed the C-C spacing on my TC9 build too close (I literally mounted them frame to frame with no tolerance) and I ended up having to lightly sand the touching ends of each driver's plastic frame to get everything to fit ;)

Information is starting to pile up so I've made the decision to wire it 6p/6s, keeping the 6 drivers in a sealed volume running in parallel.

2. You chose the correct wiring method for this speaker, and don't let anyone dissuade you from this. The 6 parallel drivers in each sealed enclosure is far more important than any other factor mentioned previously in this thread. Stick with it!

Thanks for documenting all this, and I will definitely be following along :)

Cheers,
Owen

2. You chose the correct wiring method for this speaker, and don't let anyone dissuade you from this. The 6 parallel drivers in each sealed enclosure is far more important than any other factor mentioned previously in this thread. Stick with it!

Thanks for the encouragement and confirmation! I've gone through a large number of posts before arriving at these design decisions:). I think you were having a discussion in another thread regarding wiring with sims and some real life experience.

Thanks to you and all the other members for having the discussions on the boards. That information has been very very helpful and has saved A LOT of grief!! As others have mentioned a bullet point sticky post for full range line arrays is in order as there is a lot of great information scattered around the forum.

Keep the suggestions coming! I'm hoping to have the enclosures ready for driver installation and wiring in 2 weeks time. Then its measurements, EQ and extensive curve tweaking lol. Getting excited.

I also pushed the C-C spacing on my TC9 build too close (I literally mounted them frame to frame with no tolerance) and I ended up having to lightly sand the touching ends of each driver's plastic frame to get everything to fit.

Hehe I was afraid of that when made the 65mm decision. Hand drilling with 1mm error is out of my mechanical tolerance zone. I can't believe you had to sand down the frames, that must have been not fun. At least they were sandable:).

Thanks to you and all the other members for having the discussions on the boards. That information has been very very helpful and has saved A LOT of grief!! As others have mentioned a bullet point sticky post for full range line arrays is in order as there is a lot of great information scattered around the forum.

One more for that bullet list: for every repetitive job: create a template first!
Makes life a lot easier :).

Partially foamed. Always more work than than estimated. Did not calculate the correct area of foam, need to order more :(. Thinking of picking up a 1200AS2 board for the linearrays. Interested in comparing to the horns that are setup in this room.

Attachments

• PartiallyFoamed2.jpg
    PartiallyFoamed2.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 345
  • PartiallyFoamed-1.jpg
    PartiallyFoamed-1.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 340
While I have all the quick connects, its quite hard to get the terminals on with out breaking the drivers. Even with holding the terminals with pliers I managed to break 1. Lucky I have a few extra as I've destroyed 1 in the process.

That said I solder a LOT so soldering the tabs it is. Looks like if you are quick, the frames don't melt. Will have to pay more attention when wiring but........

Thanks for posting the photos and sharing your build. Its looking great. I like the way your array almost reaches the ceiling. Your horn-bass box looks sweet too - what are they?

Thanks! On carpet they are about 1" from the ceiling. I have some new enclosures that are almost ready for the bassBins and horns. The bins will go in the corners when finished and provide sub support for the LA.

The current setup is 15TBX100 in sealed encosures and SEOS-24 horn with Radian 745BePB Xover around 600hz LR4. They sound better crossed to wide dispersion tweets at 10khz but its really hard to tell.

It helps to take a screwdriver blade to loosen the clamp force on quick connects before using them. They are really designed to not shake off in automotive applications.

Good suggestion but I'm libel to put the screwdriver through my hand :).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.